2005 XR650L Performance Upgrades??

5 replies to this topic
  • motoking

Posted August 25, 2005 - 08:42 AM

Hi all,
I recently picked up the 2005 XR650L and am ready to start trying to get a little more performance out of her. I haven't found any hop-up kits for this bike yet. Does anyone know of any out there? Barring a kit, I thought I'd start with the exhaust. Anybody have a good suggestion for what works well with the 650L?

Any performance upgrade suggestions (other than "get the 650R" :-) will be greatly appreciated.

-- Nick

• babbs

Posted August 25, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Browse the history on this site, this question has been addressed ad nauseum

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 25, 2005 - 08:13 PM

there are no kits.....gotta buy each thing...check out my bike, i absolutley love it! http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=2215

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • klegg

Posted August 27, 2005 - 03:51 PM

I agree with the wr450f guy...I've got the very same exhaust on my 2000 and then dynojetted. The entire process took 3 hours in my garage and it certainly hopped it up. Low end was most improved, the mid was torkier and the bike will actually do 100+ fairly easily now at 6000 ft. Only complaint I had was that the yoshi was way too loud. A great sound (kinka like a rocket), but it affected the comfort level of the bike. So I had to build a custom baffle, to shut the 100dB sound off. Jetting, exhaust and airbox mods are all I've done, and probably all I will do. I think if you need more than that, you should probably get a different bike like the xr650r, which has a bit more compression and is a few pounds lighter. Oh, the tank and cap on the 650L have a combined weight of somewhere between 200 and 250 lbs (I hope you know this is an exaggeration :D) and because the tank is only 2.8 gallons, it's the only complaint I have about the bike. I guess I'm saying the tanks days with me are numbered.

• panaceabeachbum

Posted August 28, 2005 - 05:10 AM

I would do all the free/near free mods first, jetting, desnorkle,desmog, K+N filter, knobby tires, gear ratio change. I then replaced my stock can with the white bros e series can. Very happy with the changes so far. As time goes on a big bore kit will be installed.

All the "advice" reccomending you get an r model is like telling the guy with a dodge deisel truck he needs to get one with a hemi. They are simply two different machines, with different uses, I have an R and an L and there is no comparison as they are as different as a kiwi and a bannana. Both are red and go down the road on knobbies and thats were the similarities end. Getting back on the L after riding the R for a few hundred miles in a day is a big comfortable relief, not as wild and fast, but when I am riding 2 up with the wife or kids they pick the L every time.
Maybe if the R nuts are so serious about raw power they should get a kx500 , or give my heavily modified kx 523 a spin, G-anylist shows it wipin' its tail pipe with the uncorked R all across the board. Richard

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 28, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Hi all, Anybody have a good suggestion for what works well with the 650L?

Any performance upgrade suggestions (other than "get the 650R" :-) will be greatly appreciated. -- Nick

Here's a start: get an aftermarket exhaust & air filter, can the smog & ditch the snorkle, rejet the carb as needed, drill the slide & shim the needle, add a bash plate & install a larger fuel tank, swap out the bars, experiment with different gearing, throw on some DOT knobs, get some bigger & stronger footpegs, put on a fork/disc guard & head light rock guard, do the low profile tail/brake light conversion, use a magnetic oil drain plug and bypass all safetys. Oh yeah, one more thing, RIDE! :D

This should keep you busy for a while, fun tickets permitting. :D

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.