What makes Chevy/GMC so much better???

22 replies to this topic
  • anvilair

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:39 AM

This question is directed toward the Chevy guys who have such passion for all things GMC. This is not a joke, or a stab at anyone. :D
I read a lot of posts from guys like ChevyCowboy going on about how much better GMC's are than Fords or Dodges. :D
I have driven Ford Trucks for 15 years and love them. I like the looks and the power is good enough for my needs as long as it is a V-8.
I have always got at least 200k miles out of every Ford truck I have owned, ('81 F150, '85 F150, '97 F150, '03F150) with minimal maintenance.
I am not a mechanic, but I do most of my own work like brakes, rotors, oil changes, tune ups even the occasional ball joint or shocks.
So what's the deal? What is so much better about the Chevy's?????
Is it mechanical????
Or just looks????
I will be honest.... I just have always liked the look of the Ford's especially the interior in recent years.
Let's hear it! :D
Oh yeah, can we keep it to 1500 series trucks, since I have no experience what so ever with HD trucks.
And details please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IE; Stronger suspension, better design of the transfer case, easier maintenance, etc.

• Wrfrk

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

FACT... They are all pretty much the same in quality, just buy the one you like more for looks and comfort...or better yet the one that you get the best deal on!!!

• demp35744

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

In the old days there was a big difference in the way the trucks were designed (mechanically) now with fuel injection and computers it really doesn't matter. However the old school ideas still exist and it's fun the have something to argue with your in-laws about.

• k2rider

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

I agree, it all comes down to personal preference for the most part. I know I've always had Ford trucks too. I was leaning towards Ford out of loyalty when I went diesel shopping but then starting doing a TON of research. The Ford diesel was having a ton of issues. We drive Ford's (Crown Vic's) at work and one of our garage mechanics just came from a Ford dealer in town. He point blank told me to hold off on the Ford. Chevy/GMC was also having a few issues with the Duramax as well but nothing like Ford w/ the Powerstroke.

Then the 2005 Ford's came out and I was VERY impressed with the new front end and interiors. I was ready to throw caution to the wind and then literally the next day, Ford announced a recall on some transmission issue for the 2005 diesels. That swung the pendulem back the other way for me.

We ended up picking up a Duramax 4X4 back in March and have been very happy with it so far. I still like the LOOKS of the Ford better...and I'll only put my $$ on Ford drivers in NASCAR.

• gmoss357

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:47 AM

boxers or briefs.

• anvilair

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:57 AM

boxers or briefs.

Boxer Briefs????

• rob125

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:07 AM

Boxer Briefs????

means, personal preference.

Boxer or Briefs= neither is better, neither is worse, its your personal preference on witch one you want.

• anvilair

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:17 AM

means, personal preference.

Boxer or Briefs= neither is better, neither is worse, its your personal preference on witch one you want.

I realize that, but he left off boxer briefs, which is what I prefer.

Ford, Dodge, Chevy.
Boxers, Briefs, Boxer Briefs....
Thanks for the input though! :D
Just me being a smart ass...

• gmoss357

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

:D :D :D

• RiverRat

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:32 AM

Long live the OHV?
:D

• Rocky Mountain

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

All the new domestic trucks are all pretty much the same these days. and it seems that today each truck has more model specific parts than trucks from the earlier years. I have always been a chevy guy because most of the parts from one chevy product will fit on another. Chevy has been using the same engine design for 50 some years now and has the same front independant suspension under there trucks since about 1988. I'm not saying that fords or dodge didn't use a bulk parts system, but not to the extent of the chevy. Because chevy had so many universal parts prices become cheaper and more available. I just did a fuel pump on my 94 chevy for 35 dollars in parts, my buddy has a 2002 chevy half ton and just had to pay 700 dollars in parts. Sure i know my truck is 12 years old now and a new truck would be nice... but my chevy is going strong and when she dies... if she ever does I'll be able to restore it 5 times over for the cost of a new truck

• Thumpmeister

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

I agree that when it comes to the half tons, all of the big 3 are more or less the same... They all have about the same amount of power, the all ride about the same, and they all get worse gas mileage then any HD diesel. When it comes to the half tons, its more of a personal preferance thing, whether you want to show your blue oval, wear your bow tie, or ram the competition. Doesn't really matter...

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:56 PM

Well the main thing I like about GM stuff in general is the ease of mainenance. The small block chevy specificly is one of the easiest motors in the world to work on, on top of that GM finds a good design and sticks with it (there were dozens of interchangable parts on the SBC from the first one in 1955 all the way up til it was finally redesigned in the late 80s) This system keeps cost of parts much lower and makes stuff easier to work on. The designs just seem to make more sense to me.

Another deffinate plus in GM's column for me is durability... a well maintained small block chevy will run virtually forever, many of GM's 6 cylinders (the 2.8 and the 3.8 and the new 4.2 for example) are just as bulletproof and routinely run 300,000 or more miles. The vehicles behind the engine tend to last just as long as the motor itself does (my poor ol 1982 3/4 ton truck has roughly 600,000 miles on it, after being a hard worked farm truck for 15 years, it got a new blown 427 and spent a couple years on the drag track, then it became a daily driver for a few more years... it just wont die)

Although I'm not really a fan of automatic trannys, GM also has the best auto trannys ever made. They've consistantly reinvented the auto tranny going all the way back to the 2speed powerglide that many drag racers STILL use in their drag cars today. The GM 6 speed Allison automatic is nothing short of astounding, and the new 5 speed auto that's coming soon for cars and light trucks will be yet another outstanding auto tranny.

GM has also led the way with building fuel efficient V8s, who would have ever thought a 400 horsepower v8 thats capable of 28mpg would ever exsist (the LS2)? The 4.8 in the 1500 silverado gets 23mpg on the highway, the 5.3 isnt far behind.

Looks most deffinatly have something to do with it but I won't buy a vehicle on looks alone, but even in this catagory, GM usually comes through for me. There really hasnt ever been a GM truck body that I didnt like although theres some (mid 60s, late 80s, the current one) that I like better than others.

But the biggest selling point for me is past experience. I've owned a dozen or so GM vehicles and they all treated me well, until that changes I'll keep buying from the General :D

• Grizzly600

Posted 25 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

Even thoughI just bought an f-150

I like the GMC and Chevys. They are easy to work on, and look great. Last forever.

• kevindepot

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:57 PM

I grew up in a Ford house. Kind of sucked for me as I have always been a Chevy man. My Dad and I would go at it for hours. It all comes down to personal choice.

• punkrock MX

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:52 PM

If I were to buy anothe truck I'd probably get an F-150 but I do like my S-10, it does what I bought it for, does okay on gas, holds my dirtbike and takes me to work, the track, school, etc..it doesnt look that bad either!

My friends mom F-150 is starting to rust out but I think it was a boat carrier so it might of spent some time in the water...

However, I heard Dodges suck, and they are not reliable. I talked to one guy who had an 01' 2500 I believe and he said "its a good thing it came with a warranty"

My friends dad is also the head of the public works deparment for one of the neighboring towns here and hes had nothing but problems with the Dodge Rams they use for plowing, they were both bought new and have had transmission problems..

I'd buy FORD, however, everyone in my family (that lives in this house) seems to be driving a GM make car/truck

• evo rider

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:43 PM

(Ford- F lipped O ver R ebuilt D odge Chevy- Chevy LOL)

Not real much difference, go w/ the one you like

• Geezerx

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by anvilair
Boxer Briefs????
Commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just ask Sean Hamblin.

• anvilair

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:01 AM

Well the main thing I like about GM stuff in general is the ease of mainenance. The small block chevy specificly is one of the easiest motors in the world to work on, on top of that GM finds a good design and sticks with it (there were dozens of interchangable parts on the SBC from the first one in 1955 all the way up til it was finally redesigned in the late 80s) This system keeps cost of parts much lower and makes stuff easier to work on. The designs just seem to make more sense to me.

Another deffinate plus in GM's column for me is durability... a well maintained small block chevy will run virtually forever, many of GM's 6 cylinders (the 2.8 and the 3.8 and the new 4.2 for example) are just as bulletproof and routinely run 300,000 or more miles. The vehicles behind the engine tend to last just as long as the motor itself does (my poor ol 1982 3/4 ton truck has roughly 600,000 miles on it, after being a hard worked farm truck for 15 years, it got a new blown 427 and spent a couple years on the drag track, then it became a daily driver for a few more years... it just wont die)

Although I'm not really a fan of automatic trannys, GM also has the best auto trannys ever made. They've consistantly reinvented the auto tranny going all the way back to the 2speed powerglide that many drag racers STILL use in their drag cars today. The GM 6 speed Allison automatic is nothing short of astounding, and the new 5 speed auto that's coming soon for cars and light trucks will be yet another outstanding auto tranny.

GM has also led the way with building fuel efficient V8s, who would have ever thought a 400 horsepower v8 thats capable of 28mpg would ever exsist (the LS2)? The 4.8 in the 1500 silverado gets 23mpg on the highway, the 5.3 isnt far behind.

Looks most deffinatly have something to do with it but I won't buy a vehicle on looks alone, but even in this catagory, GM usually comes through for me. There really hasnt ever been a GM truck body that I didnt like although theres some (mid 60s, late 80s, the current one) that I like better than others.

But the biggest selling point for me is past experience. I've owned a dozen or so GM vehicles and they all treated me well, until that changes I'll keep buying from the General :D

Good info Cowboy! :eek: :D
There was a purpose to my question.
I will be buying a cheap used 2nd truck in the near future to haul my bikes :eek: with. I am just putting to many miles on my '03 Ford and I want a 2wd truck for better milage. I want to hot rod it a little, but I want to do the work myself. I was torn as to which truck to get. The old reliable Fords I am used to, or try out a Chevy!!!
I am looking at a '92 1500 extra cab 2wd. 60k miles, (old man owned it) in great shape. Has a V8, auto trans. $2900.00.
I think I will go for it!!!!
Thanks again! :D

• dmp437

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:33 AM

I had a '91 2WD extended cab 1500 "back in the day". It was the truck that convinced me to try Ford trucks. Valve guides were gone in the 5.7L at 22,000 miles, starter was shot by 40k, rear sliding window fell apart on the expressway shortly after that. If you wear sunglasses that block the blue part of the spectrum you can't see the read outs on the radio and heat/AC head units. I kept getting recall notices in the mail about the transmission overheating; it would shoot the transmission dipstick out. So they sent me a free locking transmission dipstick. A couple of months later I get a letter saying that now that the dipstick is locked on and can't get loose when the transmission overheats (notice they said "when" and not "if") now the transmission fluid pumps out the vent which is aimed at the ............. catalytic converter causing the transmission fluid to ignite :D

Thanks for the memories :D and uh...Good Luck!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.