Tire weight.

10 replies to this topic
  • SPDFRK450

Posted August 24, 2005 - 08:39 PM

How much does tire weight matter in a rear tire. I mean I am looking at the Maxxis IT, and the Dunlop 952, and the IT is 15 pounds. Its heavy for a rear tire. I heard one guy had to change his suspension setting for the IT. Circular weight in a tire is a lot diffrent than 3 extra pounds in the gas tank for instance. Has anybody else noticed this diffrence? Let me know if I am thinking to deeply into this.

• tp3dxf

Posted August 24, 2005 - 09:48 PM

How much does tire weight matter in a rear tire. I mean I am looking at the Maxxis IT, and the Dunlop 952, and the IT is 15 pounds. Its heavy for a rear tire. I heard one guy had to change his suspension setting for the IT. Circular weight in a tire is a lot diffrent than 3 extra pounds in the gas tank for instance. Has anybody else noticed this diffrence? Let me know if I am thinking to deeply into this.

Dude It makes little difference. The bike has the nuts to pull the tire and your suspension shouldn't be a problem either. I currently run the Maxxis IT but have ran many other brands. I have never had a problem with a tire changing my suspension feel at all. Now maybe if the tire was like 20 pounds then maybe, but the Maxxis IT is a proven good quality long lasting tire. It's also a great value for the money. Slap one on and have fun on your bike.

• gmoss357

Posted August 25, 2005 - 04:49 AM

It does make a difference depending on the bike it is going on. Some bikes simply don't have the HP to pull the extra weight efficiently. I don't know if it is as important on dirt bikes, but rotational weight was the most important area to shed pounds on a mountain bike. Everything else is just static weight. I am sure if a person had the money to purchase a very nice set of lightweight wheels and lighter tires, they would see a difference in the power the bike put to the ground. From what I have seen though, most people would rather modify the engine's performance instead. Think about it though, would a lighter wheelset and tires be easier to stop as well since you would have less rotational weight? :D

• farkawi

Posted August 25, 2005 - 01:54 PM

Yes, heavier tires will affect suspension. Un-sprung weight is what you are adding when adding weight to the rear wheel assembly. The compression, rebound and spring must "work" harder to overcome any increase in un-sprung weight. In the real world, however, an extra 5 lbs. on the wheel assembly can be adjusted for. The extra weight on the Maxxis is likely due to more "beef" in the carcass which will help protect against punctures. There's always a trade-off.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 25, 2005 - 02:11 PM

My KX felt different when I went from 120 maxxis IT (VERY HEAVY) to a 130 (same as 110) Michelin (very light). Became more responsive since less weight resistance to movement. Since it is unsprung rotational weight it does indeed have an impact. I now run Pirelli MT16 on KX, 120 size, but lighter than Maxxis. Good compromise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted August 26, 2005 - 05:46 AM

a maxxis IT 120/18 weighs almost 13 lbs,if you ride offroad or desert the extra "beef" of the tire will pay off against any suspension woes. that;as said, can be adjusted for. now MX is a different animal that is much more sensitive to tire weight. you think the IT's heavy? try a terraflex 140/18....20 lbs :D

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:56 AM

Ya, my Terra Flex 140/18 was 19.5 lbs on the dealerships scale. It is very heavy and took some getting used to on my first ride. The first time out we went hillclimbing and I failed the first two hills, just because it would lug down so much faster and so much farther. Took me a while to get used to keeping rpm and wheelspin up with it. Cant wait to get back to an M5B.

• SPDFRK450

Posted August 26, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Well I ended up ordering an IT this morning. I do a wide variety of riding, from sand dunes to a hot lap on the track. Regardless of the few extra pounds I feel it will do well in a wide variety of riding. Thanks for the Input

• FZ1426

Posted August 26, 2005 - 03:38 PM

You are on track with your "circular weight" reference. Actually it would be more correctly identified as rotational mass, which has gyroscopic forces associated with it, which alter the reaction of the suspension and the bike as a whole in addition to the added unsprung weight. Very important, and a good observation, don't underestimate it.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted August 26, 2005 - 09:58 PM

Holy shiznit. You forgot....inertia, centrifical force, gravitational pull, ect. Just kidden. That post wore me out just reading it. :D I wish I were smart. :D I am putting my bros M5B on for tomorrows ride. I am excited to see how much difference it makes.

• ncampion

Posted September 03, 2005 - 07:41 PM

The Maxxis may be a little heavier than the Dunlop, but I find that it slides so much more predictabily than the Dunlop. It give good warning when it's reaching the limits of traction. I love my Maxxis.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.