Lever replacement

6 replies to this topic
  • TBone_Boston

Posted August 24, 2005 - 03:40 PM

OK - Being "new again" to dirt bikes I need some fix-it advice. The last clutch lever replacement I had to do was on a 1978 YZ 80, now after doing a lemon squeeze between 2 oaks in Freetown MA, I have to do it on my '05 wr450.

I looked at it quick and I'm sure its easy enough but are the any gotchas? Any issues removing the rubber sleeve? Do I need to remove the adjuster knob assembly?

Thanks
Tony

• bg10459

Posted August 24, 2005 - 04:37 PM

Just remove the lever (not the perch or anything else), it doesn't get much easier than this. It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.

• Bamster

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:11 PM

And buy some hand gaurds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtr1der

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:53 PM

And buy some hand gaurds.

Yep. The type that hook into the ends of the bars. Not the moto roost deflectors. They break easier than levers.

• TBone_Boston

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:38 PM

Great! Thanks a lot!

I'm definitely going for the barkbusters or some other version of protection. I thought I'd just wait, but look where that got me...

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted August 24, 2005 - 08:07 PM

The type that hook into the ends of the bars. Not the moto roost deflectors. They break easier than levers.

Good point. :D However if you dont tighten them all the way, they will rotate out of harms way when you wreck, believe me, I have tested this theory more than I wish to admit. :D I have Rally Pros and Powermadds. The Rally Pros are definatly stronger, but I like the MX style Powermadds more overall :D . But thats just me.

• 450 Hurricane

Posted August 25, 2005 - 05:51 AM

Replaced both front brake and clutch levers last night. Very straight forward. Takes about 5 minutes for both including the extra time I took to lube things. I didn't have to mess with adjuster assembly on clutch lever, but I did have to take off the hot start lever which is extremely easy to do (only two 3mm hex screws).

I too suggest getting some hand guards to protect the levers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.