Broken valve cotter

1 reply to this topic
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 15, 2001 - 03:25 PM

Man, I must be hard on my bike. Now the "valve cotter" has broke on the right intake valve. I lost compression and took my valve cover off to check it out. The cotters were sitting at the bottom of the spring recess. I had a heck of a time getting the cam cover off, too. One was squashed almost completely flat. Anyone have an idea what would cause something like this? Here's a picture of a valve cotter it. It's #10 on the drawing. http://home.cfl.rr.c...alve cotter.jpg
Thanks,

Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 03-15-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SFO

Posted March 15, 2001 - 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Rich in Orlando:
Man, I must be hard on my bike. Now the "valve cotter" has broke on the right intake valve. I lost compression and took my valve cover off to check it out. The cotters were sitting at the bottom of the spring recess. I had a heck of a time getting the cam cover off, too. One was squashed almost completely flat. Anyone have an idea what would cause something like this? Here's a picture of a valve cotter it. It's #10 on the drawing. http://home.cfl.rr.c...alve cotter.jpg
Thanks,

Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 03-15-2001).]

I worked at a custom valvetrain manufacturer for a few years and there are a few ways that I have seen keepers spit out.
#1 Insufficient valve protrusion above the retainer after a valve job, when you have a valve job done and
they butt grind the valve stems to adjust the
stem protrusion. Then the bucket pushes on the retainer instead of the valve stem, even with the shim in-place.
#2 I have seen people grinds shims on a bench grinder, when they aren't square they get spit out of the retaining shoulder on the retainer, like a watermelon seed...
#3 aftermarket retainers that have incorrect geometry at the keeper interface, allowing the valve w/keepers to pull throught he retainer.
#4 the valve stem groove is improperly machined and the keeper/stem/retainer fit is poor.
There are alot of causes for valve train failure, I have seen, or done, most of them...
Close examination of the mating parts will reveal the culprit.
Happy Hunting!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.