is this bad?

21 replies to this topic
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:22 AM

i have a little oil coming out of the top end ont he left side of the ol xr.......just wondering if it was a bad thing.......its like a drop every 2 hours.....real small leak. thats a pic of it....just a drop of oil with a bunch of dirt in it.....looks like most if not all of it comes out of the one to the right.....what exactly are those "bolts" anyway? its nothing im to worried about unless someone says different.

Posted Image

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:23 AM

wow, thats bigger than i expected.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 24, 2005 - 09:19 AM

anyone?

• frankstr

Posted August 24, 2005 - 02:02 PM

small leaks get bigger........That pic is too big........... :D

• BWB63

Posted August 24, 2005 - 02:13 PM

It's a rocker shaft leek. No big deal. There isn't any big pressure there. Fix the seals and be happy.

I don't think that picture was big enough. It doesn't fill the whole screen on my 60" plasma monitor! :D But, I can print it into a 40" poster :D

• roadcam

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:31 PM

main reason for the post wasnt for an answer anyway ... he likes to post lots of 2-3 word posts to boost his 'post numbers' up

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:36 PM

nah, i do want to know what that is.......i was wondering sice i bought it.....how do i fix that seal? and i dont know how to make it smaller!!!

• roadcam

Posted August 25, 2005 - 07:32 AM

removing the bolt will allow you to slide off that rubber gasket ... its just a fat rubber ring, and it swells after a few years of heat and oil ... get it at a Honda dealer, should be cheap, just replace them, and dont over-tighten the bolts, no need to squash the new one out of shape

• XR250rdr

Posted August 25, 2005 - 08:02 AM

Its a copper washer actually. I don't know the torque spec for the shaft offhand, but I can look it up once I get home this afternoon.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 25, 2005 - 09:35 AM

Its a copper washer actually. I don't know the torque spec for the shaft offhand, but I can look it up once I get home this afternoon.

yeah, that would be great

thanks

another question......what exactly do the bolts do?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted August 25, 2005 - 01:41 PM

If my memory serves me right, I believe those 2 bolts should be about 3" long a piece, and they are what hold the rocker arms in place. Pretty nessecary... lol...

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 25, 2005 - 06:11 PM

so can i just take them out or what?

• klegg

Posted August 27, 2005 - 04:07 PM

Those are the Rocker arm shafts. Don't remove them! The rockers are on springs and you will not be happy with what comes next if you do. Those are metallic seals. I would get out the good torque wrench and put 20 ft-lbs on them. They'll stop leaking. If they don't...I think you may just want to live with it until something serious requires the kind of attention that necessitates removing the cylinder head.

• XR250rdr

Posted August 27, 2005 - 05:36 PM

20 ft lbs is indeed what the manual calls for. If they dont start leaking pulling the rocker arm cover and replacing the washers isnt too difficult.

• panaceabeachbum

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:03 AM

yep copper crush washer, $1.19 , might as well do all of them while the tanks off.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:26 PM

ill try torqueing them to 20 first......all i do is torque them right...nothing else? dont have to do anything but put the wrench on them right?

• Max Power

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:50 PM

Do a re torque. Back the bolt out 1/4 turn and then re torque to 240 inch/lbs. Then clean with WD-40 and a brass brush and rinse with simple green and water. Call it good.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:03 PM

aint got a inch pounds wrench

• Max Power

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:08 PM

aint got a inch pounds wrench

240 inch/lbs=20 ft/lbs. Sorry about that.

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 29, 2005 - 06:41 AM

ill try torqueing them to 20 first......all i do is torque them right...nothing else? dont have to do anything but put the wrench on them right?

Mine did the same thing, left front rocker arm shaft seal. Just wrenched on it to snug it up and no more leak. To be safe use a torque wrench. I checked the others (by feel, not with a torque wrench) and haven't had any problems since. :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.