05 WR owners

12 replies to this topic
  • blue_beast_wins

Posted August 23, 2005 - 11:12 PM

Is there any problems with these bikes, my brother is getting back into riding, his last bike was an 02 426, is the 05 the go or should he wait untill 06 ? are the gear boxes still breaking on the later bikes ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 24, 2005 - 04:22 AM

05's are very refined. Problems appear to have been fixed. Someone posted that the only changes to 06 are enduro computer and revised swingarm. I suspect he can get a significantly better deal on 05.

• 450 Hurricane

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:22 AM

Get the 05. No significant changes from 05 to 06 and you should be able to get MUCH better pricing on an 05. The old problems you mentioned were fixed some time ago.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:19 AM

I love my 05, I was in the same boat deciding between an 05 and an 06. this is what Yamaha lists as new for 06 so if he sees something he can't live without then get the 05. I figured I would get an 05 and with the money saved get exhaust and do the freemods and get it dialed in.

New for 2006:
New enduro computer is trick and easy to use.

New, two-position handlebar clamps give the aluminum Renthal bar 10mm of adjustment range.

New compression circuitry in 48mm forks absorbs even the tiniest bumps better than ever.

New seat foam provides more comfort.

New reinforced swingarm provides precise handling and tracking.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted August 24, 2005 - 03:54 PM

Great stuff, thanks for that i will pass it on and let him decide from here, thanks,

Steve.

• Blaster21996

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:53 PM

Is there any problems with these bikes, my brother is getting back into riding, his last bike was an 02 426, is the 05 the go or should he wait untill 06 ? are the gear boxes still breaking on the later bikes ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Problem I know of, and don't think has been addressed on the 06.

Starter and kill switch's are FLIMSY, upgrade to the KTM or Suzuki single round, red button, or buy the ones made by MOOSE.

:D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knucklehead

Posted August 25, 2005 - 07:01 AM

great point blaster - me and my buddy have both lost our start button.

• SPDFRK450

Posted August 25, 2005 - 07:28 AM

The new 06 models now have a speedometer/computer up front. It tells speed, clock, 2 tripmeters, and tire diameter correction. Timer, and you can switch it to race mode so it can calculate average speed. Did I meantion they come standard with the Instawheelie feature. Oh wait thats all WR's

• tomwr450f

Posted September 03, 2005 - 03:58 PM

Don't forget about a new insert for the exhaust. (PMB)

• freestyle250

Posted September 03, 2005 - 04:09 PM

I love my '05. Bought it 4-5 months ago and since have put about 750 miles on it without a single problem yet. I do keep good care of it though. Frequent oil changes, keeping the coolant topped off, frequently checking the nuts and bolts, making sure that everything is in tune. So far I have not had one single concern or complaint about problems. My only complaint was the AIS kit they put on out of box to meet the CA standards and the throttle screw. But the bikes mechanical reliability is awesome.

• Kamik

Posted September 03, 2005 - 04:57 PM

i'd say he should go with the '05, and take the money he saves and spend it on upgrades. i haven't had a single problem with my bike yet. had mine for just over a month now and put on almost 700km's. all i've done is just regular upkeep(oil, air filter, chain, etc.). it's been good to me so far, no complaints here.

• MXJunky

Posted September 04, 2005 - 01:37 PM

A few minor adjustments will make the '05 WR450F the kick assinest bike you could want:

YZ throttle stop (part # 5JG-14591-00-00).
TT AIS removal kit (34 smackers at the TT store).

These minor goodies will make the WR run like a raped ape. MXJunky has had his Dub for a couple months and has only a few dozen miles on her, but the grin factor compared to the overweight DRZ MXJunky just got off of is enormous. (MXJunky also has an E2 exhaust and JD jet kit installed.)

• blue_beast_wins

Posted September 11, 2005 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, i have passed all this info onto my bro, thanks.

Steve.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.