Street tires for 650R

18 replies to this topic
  • cholwerk

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:56 PM

Any recommendations of tires for my commuter? I have looked into 17's, but the $. I can think of a lot of things to do with $1700. Anyone know of a good 80-100% road tire for the stock wheels. I have two sets, having one for the rd and one for the dirt is looking good.

Right now I have a 50/50 deathwing n the back, and some kinda 50/50 chenshen on the front. I want someting that feel good in the twistys. My commute is 25 miles of tight twistys and 20 miles of more flowing ones.

Thanks.

• JackAttack

Posted August 23, 2005 - 08:28 PM

With the price of fuel right now I'm thinking of getting some street tires for the 650 as well. :D

• CAM2R

Posted August 23, 2005 - 09:09 PM

check out the far right - Avon Distanzia's - like cheap velcro for the asphalt :D
way cheaper than buying 17's and almost as much fun :D

Posted Image

• XRL_Rider

Posted August 23, 2005 - 09:35 PM

I have The Distanzas on my 650l and they really stick great!!

• 4Takt

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:43 AM

Another vote for the Distanzias. I have a second set of wheels with those tires for street riding and they stick like glue and wear well.

4Takt

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 24, 2005 - 09:54 AM

check out the far right - Avon Distanzia's - like cheap velcro for the asphalt :D
way cheaper than buying 17's and almost as much fun :D

Posted Image

the ones on the right are junk!!! couldnt go off road with them things......i do however like the other 2....what kind r they? how much do they cost?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 24, 2005 - 09:55 AM

if u want a sual sprot bike, y didnt you get a xr650l?

• huntmaster

Posted August 24, 2005 - 12:33 PM

Let me know if you have any luck...I'm looking for knobbies for my GoldWing!

Any recommendations of tires for my commuter?

• YZFnwithme

Posted August 24, 2005 - 12:40 PM

I just ordered distanzias for my 650R tard.

Everyone whose tried them seems to love them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAM2R

Posted August 24, 2005 - 04:20 PM

the ones on the right are junk!!! couldnt go off road with them things......

wr450fyamaha - Hint: READ the original post! I believe that cholwerk was asking..."I want someting that feel good in the twistys. My commute is 25 miles of tight twistys and 20 miles of more flowing ones."

These Distanzias ARE great on ASPHALT. They will work in the dirt if you work on your skills.

...i do however like the other 2....what kind r they? how much do they cost?

:D :D :D
Bitch, bitch, bitch, moan, Oh BTW go find this out for me!

Here's another helpful hint - GO search the internet. I think that you have been much too quick to criticize others, whether or not humorous intent is present, and offer little real help. And yes for some people the L might be a "true" dualsport bike.... it's just not enough of a bike

• cholwerk

Posted August 24, 2005 - 04:39 PM

WR450F,
I got are R and not an L because I wanted a bike that could do everything, and personally I don't like to feel of the L. Part of my commute is on a dirt/gravel road so a street bike would not work for me.

Huntmaster,
I have a set of knobbies for you.

Everyone else,
Thanks for the advice. I had been looking at the Avons but did not know anyone who had run them on the stock wheels.

Charles

• CAM2R

Posted August 24, 2005 - 04:46 PM

Okay - rant mode off - now the help,

Regarding the tires in the pic:
From Left to right: Dunlop 755F = 80/100-21 (off HWY) -- Dunlop 756 = 110/100-18 (off HWY) -- Michelin Enduro Competition IV = 90/90-21 DOT -- Michelin Baja 140/80-18 DOT --Avon Distenzia 90/90-21 DOT -- Avon Distenzia 120/80-18 DOT
My goal was aggessive dirt with a DOT and Aggressive street DOT - [COLOR=Navy]I'm not shooting for any middle ground with these choices[/COLOR] that's why I bought another set of wheels to keep swap times down to minutes. The Dunlops were for comparison, although I usually run 756's
I have since run the Michelin Enduro compIV and Baja in the dirt and found that the front really does stick very well and the meaty Baja offers plenty of traction as well. They have the DOT marking and each of the tires we're well under $100 ~ more like $75. Many are available from the TT store. Give 'em a call :D

Ride what you can, where you can, when you can :D

• CAM2R

Posted August 24, 2005 - 04:56 PM

Everyone else,
Thanks for the advice. I had been looking at the Avons but did not know anyone who had run them on the stock wheels.

Charles

I still want 17's :D
You'll be very happy with the Avons - they make the BRP into a Killer in the corners on the street. I run mine on the stock rims. Remember that street pressure will be much higher with these tires than you run in dirt tires. Experiment with the pressure a little bit and you'll find a number that just feels dialed in. Go surprise a sportbike or two in those twistys. :D

• cholwerk

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:39 PM

Are 17's worth it? I could spring for them, but it seems like a lot of $. Any opinions? Any Facts? Are the Avons still the choice or should I get Michelins?

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:59 AM

if u want a sual sprot bike, y didnt you get a xr650l?

Some people like to go fast. The R has way more potential than any L could ever have for a good power to weight ratio!!

Look at the continental TKC-80 or the maxxis C6006 tires. These I belive are more 50%street/50%dirt tires that are rounded for street use and are long lasting. These would be a must if you are ever are going off-road.

• Maladjusted_XR

Posted January 01, 2006 - 07:55 PM

My latest are Kenda 270's. They are soft compound that are smooth on the street and hook up well in the dirt. 400+ miles so far with little wear. Cheap too!!! :applause:

• bedheadben

Posted January 02, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Dunlop 606's :applause:

• Maddox101

Posted January 02, 2006 - 03:08 PM

Man,this thread must be old! I bike this guys bike 2 months ago!

• Moredesert

Posted January 02, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I run Avon Gripsters on my XR650R. They work real nice on the street. I've taken them down dirt roads but had to watch it. I think they are 90/10 or 80/20 at best. I really like them for my street tires. http://arizonamoto.c...y_Code=Gripster

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.