Street Legal YZ250F?

10 replies to this topic
  • ONLY4STROKES

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:21 PM

What exactly would I have to do to make my YZ250F street legal? I've been thinking about it lately so I can save some money on gas and whatnot. I know I have to get a stator to power the lights and turn signals right? About how much will it cost me to street-legalize my YZ? Thanks for any input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirtriding4life

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

Well, I think that every aftermarket company I've seen only has 40 watt stators. I don't know if that is enough to power street legal lights in Nevada. You may have to go with a WR flywheel and stator. I think that will be the hardest part. I've heard that the Peirreli (sp?) Scorpions are some of the best street legal tires. Also, you may want to contact Baja Designs for lighting info on what it will take and they will also do it for you. I've heard of great results from them.

• bullet3z

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:53 PM

You may want to stop by your local Department of Transportation to see if you can even make a YZF street legal in your Sate. This should be the first thing you do. It would suck to spend money on the lights just to learn that they will not let you register the bike for the street.

• joemanyzf250

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:28 PM

OR just throw the motard rims and tires on the yzf and call it a day. if the boys are around...just dont stop :D

• yz250ftony

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:36 PM

If it is legal to register for the street, what are you doing about a kickstand? Will the yz frame accept a kickstand?

• Dirtriding4life

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

You can use either a Trail Tech kickstand (cheaper, but breaks very easily) or a Pro Moto Billet which is better quality and is more reliable.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:57 PM

If it is legal to register for the street, what are you doing about a kickstand? Will the yz frame accept a kickstand?

Yes, it will. Another problem I'm thinking of is how to lock it up? It doesn't have a key you know...

• yz250ftony

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:59 PM

Any drilling required?

• kzoo

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:39 AM

Any drilling required?

No drilling required :D

• joemanyzf250

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:42 AM

Yes, it will. Another problem I'm thinking of is how to lock it up? It doesn't have a key you know...

bike lock...sprocket to frame

• Dano426

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

Baja Designs EZ Mount Kit -$465,
WR stator - $150
WR Flywheel - $150
Kick stand - $85
Tires - $120

Total $970

For the money you will put into it, buy a used street bike or pick up an old XT350. The 350 wont over heat

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.