Loophole to street legal bikes in CA

15 replies to this topic
  • joshbeene

Posted August 23, 2005 - 03:38 PM

I have been doing some research and this is what I have found.

The laws have not changed to ban dual sporting bikes. The only thing that has changed is the DMV sent out a memo telling their employees that they have to check for a California Air Resources Board emmision sticker on bikes before they can be street legal in california. That rule about the emmisions sticker has alsways been on the books, they just started paying attention to it. The best thing to do is to go into your local DMV and give it a try. A lot of the DMV people have forgotten about the memo and are not checking for the sticker. I had a DMV person ask me if I verified that it had that sticker. They did not even look at the bike. I am getting my 2005 WR Street legal right now. I am also selling my XR650R which is steet legal in California. By the way, all XR's have an emmisions sticker on the rear fender. It is not the California Air Resources Board sticker, but I bet most DMV people don't know the difference.

• byggd

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:07 AM

I have read where several people have gotten the 05 plated but doubt it will work with prior years because they have a 3 or c as the 8th didget of the VIN so when the DMV punches it into their system it's flagged. :D Stupid CA laws :D

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 24, 2005 - 08:58 AM

So what exactly does it take to make an 05 wr450 street legal. This would be great if it could happen.

• moach1

Posted August 24, 2005 - 09:47 AM

do a search, there have been many post on this subject. i just got mine plated a few months ago. some say its all about luck. also look in the dual sport forum.

• SOOPAMOTO

Posted August 24, 2005 - 03:44 PM

I Have A 05 Drz 400sm ( 49 State ) Does This Apply To Mine As Well?

• WR4BLUE6

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:06 PM

Let me tell you a little story...

I went into the DMV here in Santa Cruz last Saturday to register my 2002 WR426. I had purchased it last year but failed to get it in to register the bike (big fines!).

Anyway the clerk asks if I wanted to dual sport the bike or OHV. I'm like, "Both!" Of course I'm thinking this will never go through with the 2004 cut off and all.

Well guess what? I'm registered for street, all I need is a sign off on my lights, blinkers, etc.and I'm good to go. It's all done, I paid for the dual sport reg and everything, they just won't give me a plate until I get "Statement of Facts" signed off by a local motorcycle shop.

So I'm registered for street and I've got my green sticker.

• byggd

Posted August 25, 2005 - 07:49 AM

I went into the DMV here in Santa Cruz last Saturday to register my 2002 WR426. I had purchased it last year but failed to get it in to register the bike (big fines!).

Anyway the clerk asks if I wanted to dual sport the bike or OHV. I'm like, "Both!" Of course I'm thinking this will never go through with the 2004 cut off and all.

Well guess what? I'm registered for street, all I need is a sign off on my lights, blinkers, etc.and I'm good to go. It's all done, I paid for the dual sport reg and everything, they just won't give me a plate until I get "Statement of Facts" signed off by a local motorcycle shop.

• Fornstar

Posted August 25, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Lucky!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR4BLUE6

Posted August 25, 2005 - 09:47 PM

Just to update the story a bit. A buddy of mine did the same thing with his 2004 KTM 450 MXC and it slipped by. He got a dual sport reg with the same requirements (lights and blinkers) as me and walked out with all the paperwork. We're going to be putting together a minimalist lighting system next week to close the deal.

Give it a shot at your local DMV. Just act like they should be able to the transaction. After my story my buddy walked in with all the confidence in the world.

Good Luck.

• byggd

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:04 AM

Does the statement of facts ask them to verify it has an emissions sticker??

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:53 AM

What are the laws for the DMV as far as which ones you can go to, because im about to get a d/s kit installed and im jjust gonna hop from one DMV to another till one finally lets me register...if nothing works im gonna drive up to mt shasta, where theres no smog regulations, and just register it thru a buddys parents house.

• mmi100sguy

Posted August 26, 2005 - 03:00 PM

what if the bike is registered street legal in another state(say, arizona for instance). if the owner were to move to california, could the bike be transfered to a ca plate?

• tntmo

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:31 PM

I bought my WR400 plated in Alaska and had it transferred to CA. It wasn't as simple as it should have been, but I got it done.

• byggd

Posted October 25, 2005 - 02:17 PM

How did you make out on this deal? Did you get the statement of facts filled out and get plated?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted October 25, 2005 - 06:26 PM

Ya know I gotta wonder. What do these emisions stickers look like?? How hard would it be to have a few printed up? If all you need is for the DMV person to look at it and go yep thats it and you are in.

Granted I dont have these troubles here in Michigan. My bikes are legal already over here.

Just some fuel for thought

• 25year2stroker

Posted October 25, 2005 - 07:16 PM

Plus It alway's helps to be tight with the local sheriff :banghead: :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.