TTR graduation??

11 replies to this topic
  • robertt

Posted August 23, 2005 - 03:20 PM

I'm posting this question here because I know there are a lot of you that have kids that ride. My 13 year old son currently rides a TTR125L. It has been a good bike but he is on the verge of outgrowing it from a performance standpoint. We don't do any MX, just trail riding. What can he advance to? At 5'3'', a full size bike will be too tall for some of the nasty area we get into. A CRF 150 seems pretty heavy without much more power. If you took a YZ85 and added a flywheel weight, gear it down some, would that work pretty good in the woods? I'm hoping some of you have gone through this and have some good insight. Thanks in advance.
...robert

• 450 Hurricane

Posted August 23, 2005 - 05:06 PM

I am facing nearly the exact same situation with my 12 yr old son who also rides a TTR125L.

No suggestions, but unless I hear anything better, I am leaning toward a YZ85 also.

• Johnny34

Posted August 23, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Here's a great bike for the vertically challenged, Service Honda CRF250X Junior. They take the engine from a 250 and shoehorn it into a CR80 Expert frame. Too bad they cost $9,000 bucks :D :D Even worse, it's not a Yamaha! :D

• RC81

Posted August 23, 2005 - 10:48 PM

Maybe a kx100, wouldnt outgrow it as fast as an 80. My sons yz80 really wasnt much fun on the trails due to the high rpms needed to keep it going. Your at that awkward time in trying to get the perfect bike as the full size ones are too tall and the smaller bikes not powerfull enough. Mine got tall enough that he took over my yz250 but now wants the new yz250f when it comes out.

• avlnch

Posted August 23, 2005 - 11:00 PM

Can he handle the YZ85? Why not just get him a TT-R230? It's got alot more power than the 125, and Is a pretty decent trail bike.

• hotthrottle613

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Can he handle the YZ85? Why not just get him a TT-R230? It's got alot more power than the 125, and Is a pretty decent trail bike.

My son outgrew the TT-R125 and is now riding our TT-R230 and loves it. Lots more power and still low enough to the ground to be functional. It would be a good choice. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • robertt

Posted August 24, 2005 - 08:18 AM

The main reason I wasn't considering the TR230 is the weight. The Yamaha website lists the TR 230 at 242# as opposed to 146# for the Z85. That is almost a hundred pounds!! I don't think my son is yet strong enough to handle that amount of weight in a tipping situation. The seat height is pretty comparable, 34.8'' for the TR230 and 34" for the Z85. My main concern is the earlier comment that these bikes aren't fun on the trail due to the pipey nature, my only thought is more flywheel but I don't know how far that will get me.
...robert

• Tubo

Posted August 24, 2005 - 08:41 AM

I'm posting this question here because I know there are a lot of you that have kids that ride. My 13 year old son currently rides a TTR125L. It has been a good bike but he is on the verge of outgrowing it from a performance standpoint. We don't do any MX, just trail riding. What can he advance to? At 5'3'', a full size bike will be too tall for some of the nasty area we get into. A CRF 150 seems pretty heavy without much more power. If you took a YZ85 and added a flywheel weight, gear it down some, would that work pretty good in the woods? I'm hoping some of you have gone through this and have some good insight. Thanks in advance.
...robert

My son in 5'1" tall and weighs 92lbs, as of last night.

He went from an XR100 to prefering my wife's TTR125LE. We then sold the XR100 and purchased him a CRF150. We ride very tight single track trail through the mountains in SW Washington and he has no problem keeping up, and the weight of the bike has not been an issue. He much prefers the CRF150 over the TTR and if you were to ask him, I don't think you could trade him into a different bike.

At 5'3" tall, your son would do fine with the CRF150 and the bike does have quite a bit more power than the TTR. With the power up needle kit, intake and exhaust opened up, rejet and BBR rev box, the CRF is much faster than our TTR which also has been rejetted with the exhaust and intake opened up along with a BBR filter kit.

I don't think your son would be disappointed with a CRF150.

I should also add, the neighbor girl is about 5'3" tall (been riding since she was 5 and is now 16) and she also rides a CRF150 and has no problems keeping up with the group in the tight woods.

• drewpeacock

Posted August 24, 2005 - 03:26 PM

The main reason I wasn't considering the TR230 is the weight. The Yamaha website lists the TR 230 at 242# as opposed to 146# for the Z85. That is almost a hundred pounds!! I don't think my son is yet strong enough to handle that amount of weight in a tipping situation. The seat height is pretty comparable, 34.8'' for the TR230 and 34" for the Z85. My main concern is the earlier comment that these bikes aren't fun on the trail due to the pipey nature, my only thought is more flywheel but I don't know how far that will get me.
...robert

My wife and has ridden both and SHE prefers the yz/kx over the HEAVY PIGS any day. She was not impressed at all with the way the 230's handled. She is happy with the kx100. She's 5'4" and 115lbs. At first she was a little intimidated with the pipey two smoke but quickly got used to it and has a blast on the trails with us.

• robertt

Posted August 24, 2005 - 03:47 PM

My wife and has ridden both and SHE prefers the yz/kx over the HEAVY PIGS any day. She was not impressed at all with the way the 230's handled. She is happy with the kx100. She's 5'4" and 115lbs. At first she was a little intimidated with the pipey two smoke but quickly got used to it and has a blast on the trails with us.

Did you add any flywheel or change anything or just run it stock?
...robert

• ttr125smms120

Posted August 26, 2005 - 09:04 AM

i'd suggest the kx100. i tried it right after riding my ttr-125 and loved the bike. plus, i think it has more low end than the 85's, and hits harder.

• drewpeacock

Posted August 27, 2005 - 05:11 AM

Did you add any flywheel or change anything or just run it stock?
...robert

I have an kx80 for my son and the kx100 for the wife and both got used to the power within hours so I left it stock.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.