Is there a better way to start WR426 hot?

14 replies to this topic
  • 6fiddy

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:06 PM

She starts up when cold fine. 1st try. Just like my xr650r did. But when she is warmed up...I am about to lose my %#$@&* mind!! I dont want an electric start, but if i dont figure something out Im going to feel like the biggest wuss when I dump her in the sand and cant even get her started again. Please help before I embarrass myself! Thanks! :D

• byggd

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:20 PM

She starts up when cold fine. 1st try. Just like my xr650r did. But when she is warmed up...I am about to lose my %#$@&* mind!! I dont want an electric start, but if i dont figure something out Im going to feel like the biggest wuss when I dump her in the sand and cant even get her started again. Please help before I embarrass myself! Thanks! :D

What have you tried so far? It's either getting too much gas or no enough. Try pulling the hot start knob first (which will let more air in), if that doesn't work try giving it one twist of the throttle and releasing (this will give it a shot of gas) but never open the throttle while kicking it. If this fails, open the throttle all the way, pull and hold the decompress lever while pressing the kill button and kick it over 8 or 10 times then try starting it like normal again. Once you figure out which one works you will know weather to lean it out or fatten it up :D

• FTD

Posted August 23, 2005 - 02:02 PM

What have you tried so far? It's either getting too much gas or no enough. Try pulling the hot start knob first (which will let more air in), if that doesn't work try giving it one twist of the throttle and releasing (this will give it a shot of gas) but never open the throttle while kicking it. If this fails, open the throttle all the way, pull and hold the decompress lever while pressing the kill button and kick it over 8 or 10 times then try starting it like normal again. Once you figure out which one works you will know weather to lean it out or fatten it up :D

Oh God. If I give mine a "twist of throttle" when it is hot, it won't start for 15 minutes!! :D Made that mistake a few times.

• byggd

Posted August 23, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Oh God. If I give mine a "twist of throttle" when it is hot, it won't start for 15 minutes!! :D Made that mistake a few times.

That's why I recommended the hot start first and never EVER open the throttle when starting it. One more thing you can try....disconnect the the sky blue wire and it will have more spark when starting it in neutral. :D Mine starts hot 1 or 2 kicks with no hot start or anything.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:20 PM

You say you start it first kick when cold but it sounds like you do not know "the drill" instinctively yet. Don't worry, I've coached several new Yamaha 4 stroke owners through this same problem over the years. It it not unusual.

"The Drill": Don't even TOUCH the throttle when starting it. Put your right hand on the brake master cylinder in case you get tempted to twist the throttle (really, I'm not kidding.) Kick it through until it gets hard to kick. You're at TDC now. Let the kickstarter return to the top, then pull in the decomp lever and push it about an inch farther. Then let the kickstarter return to the top and give it a kick. It will start. That's "the drill".

If you dumped it then it's sat on its side while fuel flowed into the cylinder. So now it's hot AND flooded. Add to that you want to get going and you're embarrassed and hot and pissed off--"the drill" goes out the window.

If you've dumped it, pull out the hot start from the first kick and follow the drill religiously. If it really won't start after 3 or 4 kicks using the drill, then you have to clear the cylinder: pull in the decomp lever, hot start open, throttle held WIDE open (not pumped), and kick it through 5 or 10 times. Then follow with "the drill" with the hot start. If it doesn't start by then, something's busted or you have it jetted WAY too rich.

I've been riding a WR400 for 5 years and 20+ thousand miles, mostly in the Ocala Forest. Trust me on this.

• unkle_george

Posted August 23, 2005 - 10:20 PM

Yep, that's the 'really' hot start trick:
decomp lever and kick it around and around until you're tired, then restart the drill.

- Ryan

• Math

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:12 AM

Rich nailed it.

I might add that if you don't know if the bike is hot or mid temp or cold, always start with a lean procedure going richer to avoid flooding.

Let's say your bike has been standing there for a couple of minutes, always start with the drill and the hot start. If it did not fire up after 2-3 kicks, try the drill without the hot start. If it does not work, use the choke...

Trying the hot start when the bike is cold can't hurt, trying the choke while the bike is hot leads to a nightmare.

I'm curious to know if your hot start works fine... is it one of those hot start that you mount on the handlebar? If so, it might be badly adjusted.

Also, I'm curious to know what your jetting is... specially the pilot circuit. If you're about to tell us about it, don't forget to mention the altitude and temp you ride at.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:16 AM

It's funny but when I dump mine and try to start it again. It takes only 2 kicks without the hotstart and only one if I remember the hotstart. When cold I have to twist the throtle about 8 times before attempting to start and it starts first or second kick.
The only time I have a hard time starting is when I'm wearing running shoes and can't get a good stab at it.

• byggd

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:58 AM

It's funny but when I dump mine and try to start it again. It takes only 2 kicks without the hotstart and only one if I remember the hotstart. When cold I have to twist the throtle about 8 times before attempting to start and it starts first or second kick.
The only time I have a hard time starting is when I'm wearing running shoes and can't get a good stab at it.

If you have to twist the throttle 8 times to start it you need to consider re-jetting.... IMO :D

• 6fiddy

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:45 AM

I sure appreciate the tips, they arent much different than the xr650r, but yet still different. I will try the drill when the arch of my foot heals and the swelling in my knee goes down! Im 39 but 21 at heart. Sometimes my body reminds me of that with swelling and "popping sounds". I must say though that the compression this engine has is amazing. It is so much tougher to kick than my xr650r! I had no Idea. If I dont physically adapt to it, I will have to get an electric start kit. Any pointers? Baja Designs probably has something.. I live just south of Sarasota FL. Hows the riding in Ocala?
I would like to explore new areas once I get comfy riding this WR. Maybe we can hook up in Ocala some time in the future when it cools down (october)
Thanks Again, Jeff Reeves

• byggd

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:38 AM

There have been several threads on adding a e-starter but as far as I know it can't be done (probably because no starter can turn that thumper over without a auto decompress function). I put the 03 wr450 ex cam in mine and it not only adds auto decompression but it has proven to smooth out the power band while giving a but more zip down low. I'm 44 and can use all the help i can get :D

• dirtr1der

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:37 PM

That sky blue wire trick works wonders but be careful about revving your bike in neutral after that.

I have only had to use my hot start twice in 2 years. Sounds like your bike might be jetted a bit too rich. Someone mentioned your pilot circuit. What are your jetting settings???

• byggd

Posted August 25, 2005 - 07:52 AM

That sky blue wire trick works wonders but be careful about revving your bike in neutral after that.

Why??

• Math

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Yes the 450 exhaust cam smooths the power a lot and it makes the bike as easy to kick start as a two stroke. It's almost unbelievable.

• Math

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:42 AM

Don't worry about your bike jetting Bamster,... those California guys just don't know what "cold" means :D I'm just kidding...

Seriously, when temperatures get under 0 celcius (30 Fahrenheit) my WR needs a couple of twist as well... I assume our starter jet is really too small for those temps. Have you ever noticed that the stock WR starter jet is a #65 whereas the YZ one is a #72. It probably has to do with the fact that the WR Paj is a #75 whereas the YZ is a #100. I think that once we've reached mid-September we should just go under that carb and put a #72 starter jet. That would help a lot. Well this is for Québec city (where I was living two years ago). For you, it would probably be in mid October...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.