Best Plastic Cleaner?

38 replies to this topic
  • Jetsprint2

Posted August 23, 2005 - 12:39 PM

Look, I know this has been brought up in the past- sorry. Can you guys tell me what works best for cleaning the hard to maintain YZ blue plastic? Thanx in advance. :D

• cheekz

Posted August 23, 2005 - 12:46 PM

some good elbow grease and a bit of detergent but make sure its diluted down or some mite stain the alluminium

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 23, 2005 - 12:48 PM

some good elbow grease and a bit of detergent but make sure its diluted down or some mite stain the alluminium

What kind of Detergent, like laundry or dish washing soap?

• biznet1

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:03 PM

I've been using Purple Power for quite some time. Some claim that it fades plastic, but it hasn't faded mine.

• CV4

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:21 PM

http://www.trackclaw.../trackenter.htm

I use Track Claw plastic polish on all my stuff. It won't take out the really bad scratches or the typical Yamaha white stress marks, but it definately helps to keep the bike shiny. Works great on the graphics too.

• Reyndogg

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:26 PM

hard to maintain how?

I use Liquid Performance bike wash after i spray all the big stuff off with the hose...works really well. No need to polish or anything

• walent215

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:52 PM

staight simple green works real well on all surfaces.

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:58 PM

I use Simple Green also, but I dilute it 50/50 with water. Its mostly a spray on, rinse off kind of a deal. But for a polish, the expensive, hard-to-find, motorcycle-plastics-specific product known as Mop 'N Glo works really well.

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:59 PM

Cool, thanx guys for the input. :D :D

• jeff_wsu

Posted August 23, 2005 - 02:42 PM

Change your plastic to Red, this will solve many problems :D

Actually, Simple green works great. After I use that I take just regualr foam tire spray and cover my plastic with it. It makes it shine like no other and you don't have to wipe it off, just spray and walk away. :D

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hotrodheathen13

Posted August 23, 2005 - 06:45 PM

I use turtle wax car wash and one of those car wash brushes. It's fast and it seems to clean better than a wash rag. the safe for all surfaces aluminum wheel cleaner makes quick work of the dirt in the hard to reach places that the brush can't get. spray on, hose off. Also, I find using a regular hose works just as good as a pressure washer without risk to your stickers and bearings.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:39 PM

Look, I know this has been brought up in the past- sorry. Can you guys tell me what works best for cleaning the hard to maintain YZ blue plastic? Thanx in advance. :D

Yes, I sure can. Maxima SC-1...and that strawberry smell is so lovely. :D

• freekstyle

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:43 PM

Something that I have found to work very well at removeing boot marks, grease, or ground in dirt from your plastics is Goop or Gojo cream hand cleaner. I was reading the side of the tub one day and it said it could take out stains from clothes so I thought It should be safe on my plastics. It works great, I have stained scars on my plastics that I thought I could never get out, I took some Goop on a rag and it took the stains out. It leaves the surface a little greasy but I think its a bonus, dirt and things wont stick as well. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

• RCannon

Posted August 24, 2005 - 04:30 AM

I agree with the sc1. It appears very similar to silicon spray, but the smell is very addictive.

The mop-n-glow floor wax works great on old, scratched plastic.

• 450 Hurricane

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:51 AM

Blow off what you can with a garden hose/spray nozzle and then apply Liquid Performance. Let sit for 5 min and wash off. Works great every time!

• Satch0922

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:09 PM

Simple Green makes a product called "Powersports Cleaner" that is great.

why do people feel the blue plastic is hard to maintain? Have you ever see a 1 year old red bike ? It has white creases and is faded so it looks pink.

Not Honda bashing but hey ...I have actually heard people say they would never buy a Yam because of the blue plastic and all the while they have a "pink" creased up red bike.

I dont get it.... :D

• DPW

Posted August 25, 2005 - 11:48 AM

Change your plastic to Red, this will solve many problems :D

Actually, Simple green works great.
Hope this helps.

Ditto on the green and the I believe you meant pink not red....right?

• jeff_wsu

Posted August 25, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Ditto on the green and the I believe you meant pink not red....right?

Ummmm, no, I'm pretty sure I meant red. You must be thinking of the early 90 Honda's, now those were pink! Maybe you need some of these cleaners for your glasses.

• DPW

Posted August 25, 2005 - 12:33 PM

Ummmm, no, I'm pretty sure I meant red. You must be thinking of the early 90 Honda's, now those were pink! Maybe you need some of these cleaners for your glasses.

No...even the new '05s I saw at the dealer today had kind of a pink tint.

• jeff_wsu

Posted August 25, 2005 - 12:37 PM

If you're seeing pink then you shouldn't be going to the dealer, you should be going to the eye doctor and clear up that color blindness. :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.