Posted August 23, 2005 - 12:30 PM

When are we going to see photos of your '82 YZ250 resto? :D

• machoman_#618

Posted August 23, 2005 - 04:06 PM

go to then got to the vintage forum. He has come along ways

• SureBlue

Posted August 23, 2005 - 05:12 PM

go to then got to the vintage forum. He has come along ways

Thanks macho, I found some pics but from February. Perhaps he likes to post a sample with update here too :D

• Satch0922

Posted August 23, 2005 - 05:25 PM

The 82 is alive and running. HOWEVER I still have work to do. Just got the swingarm back today ....had to have the old bearings pressed out and the new ones pressed in. I will finish building the rear of the bike this weekend and then it is just small brackets, cables and button it up! I want to have it at the GMB whether it is race worthy or not. I have actually got it running and installed the throttle, carb, pipe, grips, etc since the last pic was taken.

Here is how it looked when the bike was so graciously given to me (what the heck was I thinking?!?!?!?!!)

Posted Image

Here it is now...soon to be finished

Posted Image

• Satch0922

Posted August 23, 2005 - 05:34 PM

a close up ...with airbox lid on, side panels actually bolted on, carb and pipe on, all hoses etc done.

And a link to some of the project pictures 82YZ250 Resto pics
Posted Image

• SureBlue

Posted August 23, 2005 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Satch. Looks frigging cool and brings back nice memories. You've done a great job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted August 23, 2005 - 05:38 PM

my goal still is to get it ready to race the vintage class at the GMB in October....but I got get a little time on it first. Also.....I edited my previous post and added a link to more pics of the resto.

Thanks for the :D

• 02YZ426

Posted August 23, 2005 - 06:48 PM

Lookin good :D :D

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:24 AM

I am impressed, it must be rewarding to see a project turn out so nice. :D Good job Satch. :D :D

• myoung

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Looks great Satch. :D

I restored my Dad's old '83 YZ250 and was surprised to see just how much stuff is available to bring these old dogs back to life. Sure makes it easier.

How'd you get the gas tank cleaned up? I don't want to put the tank decals on the '83 till I can find a way to get the oil stains out. I see yours was even weathered and you got it looking damn nice.

I didn't go as far as you did with the fork tubes and the swing arm, but looking at how nice yours turned out I may go back and do some more work. I can't get my Dad to pony up for some new rims either and his are kinda done. But hey, it looks pretty nice for a 22 year old bike. Just not quite as nice as yours.

Did you get your fenders from Yamaha or Maier? I bought Yammy fenders and they turned out to only be a few dollars more when I was restoring his bike a couple years ago, were they still available? I had to do the Maier side plates and was a little bummed with the fit. I saw NOS ones on Ebay, but didn't want to spend as much as they were bid up to(@$250).

What vintage class can you run the '82 in? The '83 has to run with all the mid to late eighties bikes and I don't imagine it will keep up very well. :D

• Satch0922

Posted August 24, 2005 - 05:41 PM

The 82 will be run in the EVO class. (watercooled)

I bought Yamaha fenders and Maier side panels. As far as the tank goes I used 400/800/1000/2000 sand paper to work it down and then buffed it with automotive rubbing compound. It is a lot of work but I wanted the bike to look new.

• myoung

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:21 PM

I did the buffing to get the scratches out, and yeah, it's a ton of work, but it didn't do anything for the oil staining. I've been wondering if there is a way to bleach it out, but haven't been brave enough to try soaking it in bleach or anything like that. Not sure what might go wrong, if anything. Oh well, some day I'll play with it some more.

Yours really looks great so far, I love seeing the old bikes brought back to their former glory. Next up for me will be my old '79 YZ80, then I'll be tackling my Dad's '75 and '77 Bultaco's, that should be fun. :D

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.