How do you get anodizing of rims?

10 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted August 23, 2005 - 10:46 AM

Anybody know how to remove the anodizing off of the rims? Mine look like crap and I would like to polish them. I would like to get them down to the bare aluminum but I can't get that finish off. Its all faded and spotted :D

• djbiker

Posted August 23, 2005 - 12:30 PM

paint thiner and a lot of elbow grese, then to get real thoung spots out try a dreiml tool

does not work on black

• Yak

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:20 PM

Easy Off Oven Cleaner.

or

There is a product at home depot called Zep Industrial degreaser. This will also remove annodizing.

Ive used the Easy-Off a few times on R/C car parts. It works, but takes a few hours and a few applications.

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 23, 2005 - 02:02 PM

On our anodized aluminum parts at work, brake cleaner does a good job wether we want it to or not. :D

• dunecj2a

Posted August 23, 2005 - 08:37 PM

OK I'll give those a shot.......Thanx :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 24, 2005 - 11:48 AM

Meguiar's Mag Wheel Cleaner. Soak it in the stuff, works wonders.

• KILLERCUDA_83

Posted August 24, 2005 - 07:19 PM

If none of htat stuff works u can always try high industrial airplane paint remover they sell it at autozone in a spray can it literally stripped the paint off my frame on my dirtbike within i say no more than a minute

• dunecj2a

Posted August 25, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Meguiar's Mag Wheel Cleaner. Soak it in the stuff, works wonders.

You know I read that in TWMX or maybe MXA. I tried it on my Pro Taper top clamp and my rims and it did nothing. I let it soak for a long time to. Didn't work for me :D , but thanx :D

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 25, 2005 - 08:30 PM

You know I read that in TWMX or maybe MXA. I tried it on my Pro Taper top clamp and my rims and it did nothing. I let it soak for a long time to. Didn't work for me :D , but thanx :D

It worked on my friend's frame. How did you do it? You have to scrub, you know! :D

• dunecj2a

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:40 AM

It worked on my friend's frame. How did you do it? You have to scrub, you know! :D

Yeah I tried that and it did nothing for that coating on the rims. Whats up with DID rims. I just bought a new front one on Ebay off of an 04 250F and its already polished aluminum finish. It doesn't have that coating on it like the Excel rims.

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:54 AM

You can strip off the existing anodized layer from any anodized part by placing the part in a caustic solution for an hour or so. It is a good idea to soak the part, and intermittently wipe it off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.