help a brother out!

14 replies to this topic
  • CHEEZE13

Posted August 23, 2005 - 09:19 AM

ok I posted this late Sun. night and only got a couple of responses. I have a 00 426 w/ the high comp. jug, perfect jetting, I am fixin' to pull the trigger on an exhaust, howver I have read just enough to paralyze me from making the choice. I want the most extreme pipe you can get, I have read on and on about the TA's, so thats an option, also read lots of good stuff on the Jardine Rt-4, Dr. D, FMF pbomb Ti4. PLZ HELP ME! I cannot emphasis enough, IWANT BIG TIME HIT :D ! Too much is never enough! And I know that the exhaust is not gonna make the bike, that's not what I am saying, what I am saying is outta the pipes out there which won is gonna give me the most, DOWN LOW WHERE YOU"RE SUPPOSED TO RIDER A THUMPER! Gosh I am rambling! :D

• NAFLASH

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:45 PM

The Thunder Alley pipe will give you the most "down low power".

• walent215

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:51 PM

id say fmf w/power bomb would give the most bottom

• Pincushion

Posted August 23, 2005 - 01:52 PM

When I'm thinking 'big hit' I'm usually not thinking 'down low'. My old DSP Ti open exhaust hit like a mo fo, but it didnt come alive until the mid RPM range. Once it was in the upper RPM's it was a wild ride.

My current FMF powerbomb/Q setup is a lowend monster. I'm sure the big jug and 450 cam dont hurt either though.

Cheeze,
I finally got my beast running last Saturday!!!! Its a thing of beauty too.

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 23, 2005 - 06:50 PM

When I'm thinking 'big hit' I'm usually not thinking 'down low'. My old DSP Ti open exhaust hit like a mo fo, but it didnt come alive until the mid RPM range. Once it was in the upper RPM's it was a wild ride.

My current FMF powerbomb/Q setup is a lowend monster. I'm sure the big jug and 450 cam dont hurt either though.

Cheeze,
I finally got my beast running last Saturday!!!! Its a thing of beauty too.

Sweet!! SO p bomb hmmmmmm???

• BergRyder

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:17 PM

Pincushion,
I see that you have the 444 kit for your 426. How do you like it? Can you tell the difference?
I plan on doing the mod also for mine, do you have the Wiesco hi-comp piston? Who did the barrel rebore? Did you change out the con rod? Are there any issues with piston valve clearance (I have both HotCams). I realize that's alot of questions but my 426 runs great now, but for supermoto I need all the power I can get. :D

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:30 PM

True.
http://www.thunder-alley.net

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted August 24, 2005 - 12:57 PM

Pincushion,
I see that you have the 444 kit for your 426. How do you like it? Can you tell the difference?
I plan on doing the mod also for mine, do you have the Wiesco hi-comp piston? Who did the barrel rebore? Did you change out the con rod? Are there any issues with piston valve clearance (I have both HotCams). I realize that's alot of questions but my 426 runs great now, but for supermoto I need all the power I can get. :D

I just finished reassembly last weekend and only had about 5 minutes saddle time, but it was a great 5 mins :D Prior to the rebuild it was a stock 2000 426 w/ an open DSP Ti exhaust. It ran great and made big mid/top end power.

Upon the rebuild I added the 444 jug, Wiseco 12.5:1 piston, 450 cam, FMF powerbomb and Q silencer, PE clutch basket and had the head reconditioned. Its a completely different bike now. Much more low end (due to the cam and exhaust I presume) while still pulling real hard through the upper rpm range. The motor is still tight and will probably feel stronger once I get it broken in. It certainly has more power than before, but a lot of that could be due to just having a fresh motor. Or it could be the extra cc's.... hard to tell.

I had Lukes Racing do the work on my stock jug, actually Millenium does their work and its top notch. I reused my stock crank & rod.
There should be zero clearance issues with the 12.5:1 piston, but I cant comment on the higher compression pistons as I dont have one. The dome may be higher and could potentially cause clearance probs. I'm sure an email to Wiseco will get that answered.

I will tell that if your engine is in need of freshen up then there's no reason not to do the 444 kit. It was cheaper for me to get the kit through Lukes than it was to buy a new OEM jug, piston & gasket kit. Cost was $350 shipped if supplying your own jug.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 24, 2005 - 01:01 PM

Yah, but it looks like a D- junior high shop student welded it together. :D

• BergRyder

Posted August 24, 2005 - 10:07 PM

I will tell that if your engine is in need of freshen up then there's no reason not to do the 444 kit. It was cheaper for me to get the kit through Lukes than it was to buy a new OEM jug, piston & gasket kit. Cost was $350 shipped if supplying your own jug.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yes I was thinking Luke's as well, $350 exchange seems like a great deal. Keep us informed on how you like it after a longer ride/race.
I guess my two reservations are, valve clearance with the high comp piston and the HotCams, and I read in another site about a guy who installed the 444 kit and the High comp piston, he re-used his stock con rod which failed. Obviously if you have to change the con rod, the job becomes much bigger and puts it beyond my mechanical skills. Have you guys heard about con rods failing with the big bore kit and high comp piston?

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 25, 2005 - 04:30 AM

I just ordered the Jardine Rt-4 looking at all the dyno information, all pipes come on at about 6500 rpm (except Thunder ALley, which if I was Bob I would have my pipe dyno info up on the net), the Jardine hands down from 6500 rpm on was the king.

• Pincushion

Posted August 25, 2005 - 08:42 AM

Good deal man! Let us now how you like it?
I think I'll like the powerbomb/Q combo for the woods, but I think I'll want another system for the desert where power is more important than sound levels.

BergRyder,
I've heard of 426 rod failures, but not very often. It was a much more common problem on the 400's as the 426's are beefier. There's no reason to have your crank pressed apart and worked (unless you can do it yourself) when you can get a brand new one for another $100 or less from an online retailer. I reused my stock crank/rod as it felt tight and there was no scoring in the little end. If I had changed it I would've opted for the 2001 crank and CB gear so I could ditch the CB key they used on the 2000 model.

I might be wrong, but wont a high comp piston give the motor more low end? You may not want that on a super moto bike. Although I didnt get much seat time I can tell you the 12.5:1 piston with the big jug was no slouch in the power dept. If the high comp piston does pose clearance issues then rest assured the 12.5:1 piston will still make that bike fly. Call Luke's and talk to them about the clearance. The guy I spoke to had either a bored 400 or 426 and he knew his Yamaha's.

I'm riding Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 426boy

Posted August 25, 2005 - 07:13 PM

fmf power bomb header and ti 4 pipe :D

• revolucien

Posted August 26, 2005 - 05:54 AM

Yeah that Jardine looks like a bad ass pipe if you're not close to residential. Add the FMF Megabomb or powerbomb and you will probably have the winning combo. Who know's the megabomb may take the volume back a little. After reading an article from FMF, they said they were looking for a little quieter pipe and ended up getting more power when they made the Megabomb.

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:56 AM

Yeah, I will have the Jardine next Wed. Bikebandit said it was over the weight limit (12 lbs) for two day air (that sux), I am majorly pumped, this will be the last weekend of the stocker, I like raw power and I am a big guy 6'6" 230lbs. so I can take the beating! :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.