TM Designworks Chain slider/block (HICK)

13 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 15, 2001 - 01:24 PM

Okay, I just put on a UFO chain slider last night that set me back a whole $13. I just read a bunch of old posts about a TM designworks chain slider and was curious how these thing were holding up? I don't think this UFO slider is going to last too long so I'll probably spend the money on the good stuff next time. How are your guys experiences with these products so far besides the noise level? Does anyone know where I can see a picture of these online? My friend has a huge white chainslider on his 426 with a sidestrap on it. Is this it? Also, will the slider clear a 15 tooth sprocket? I switch between a 14 and a 15 tooth sprocket for track and desert. Thanks,
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 15, 2001 - 02:38 PM

I'VE GOT ONE OF TM DESIGNWORKS CHAIN SLIDERS ON MY 99 WR. I'VE ONLY HAD IT ABOUT 5 MONTHS.
BUT IT SHOWS NO SIGN OF WEAR. IT IS KIND OF NOISY WHEN THE CHAIN SLAPS IT WHEN RIDING AT EVEN THROTTLE, BUT YOU GET USED TO IT.
IT SOUNDS LIKE A TM THATS ON YOUR FRIENDS
BIKE. ITS THE ONLY ONE I KNOW OF THATS MADE OF WHITE HI-MOLY PLASTIC.

• Hick

Posted March 15, 2001 - 02:52 PM

They are pricey, I ended up paying almost $200 (I think, it was a year ago) for their slider, rollers, chain guide and one sticker. The slider by itself is around $75 I think.

Mine does not make any weird noises, unless I’m blocking them out, but it did make a real spooky whine when it was new. Once the chain wears a groove in the slider and the rollers begin making contact with the plastic the noise goes away. Mine looks essentially the same as it did one year ago after initial break-in. The guide and rollers are holding up equally well, although rocks and brush have left the guide with a pock-marked surface (so what).

It does sound like your buddy has one, because of that side strap you must remove the swingarm to install the slider.

You can run a 15 but not a 16 on the countershaft (I don’t think a 16 will fit regardless). The 15 will rub slightly, just install it and run the motor, in gear, bike on stand, chain not installed, to allow the sprocket to create its own clearance. Really. I called TM before trying a 15 and they said, “That is how Ty does it!”

TM Designworks 541-535-1612

I looked for a picture of one on the internet but came up empty…

• BruceWA

Posted March 15, 2001 - 02:56 PM

Installed the full TM product line last summer on my 98 WR400. Probably 1200-1500 miles on it. No sign of significant wear. It is very noisy, but certainly appears to be very durable. So far I'd say it was worth the $180+. And I'm known as being frugal :). I'm also running a stainless steel rear sprocket, so I'm watching this stuff to see how they wear and if it was money well spent.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 15, 2001 - 03:15 PM

WR400Rock

Where did you find a stainless steel sprocket? or are all steel sprockets stainless?

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• Clark_Mason

Posted March 15, 2001 - 07:55 PM

I'v run the TM Designworks slider for the past Yr after first going throught 4 stock sliders. The TM Designworks slider is worth every penney of the $75 I paid. It is showing slight wear but will outlast my use of this bike--it works gooood.

When running a 15 tooth C/S the sprocket the sprocket will self clearence a small grove in the front of the slider as the swing arm pivots and the sprocket rotates--no big deal, works fine.

Clark

• Scott_F

Posted March 16, 2001 - 06:34 AM

To give an alternative opinion, I would never use the TM chain slider again. It functions just fine, if you don't mind the noise, but I had continuous problems with the bolts and bushings falling out, even with loctite. This eventually led to the destruction of the threads in the swingarm, since they are only about 1/8" thick. I eventually had to tap the holes to 6mm, then when those threads were ruined, I had to find a 5mm rivnut to insert.

OTOH, I am pleased with the performance and longevity of the TM chain guide, and can recommend it without reservation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BruceWA

Posted March 16, 2001 - 06:51 AM

sirhk100,
Purchased my stainless steel sprocket from Krause Racing, aka Sidewinder. Be prepared for a mild case of sticker shock. Also using a Tsubaki Aplha Gold o-ring chain.

• Hick

Posted March 16, 2001 - 07:00 AM

Yeah, I should’ve mentioned that, this is a common problem with this product.

The stock slider is secured with self-tapping screws in the swingarm. The holes in the arm may indeed be tapped, but the wall thickness is such that there is only room for one or two threads at the most. At any rate almost everybody has the rear screws fall out of their TM slider.

There are three mounting points but the TM only uses the rear two (I guess the side strap sub.s for the front screw) which are aligned on a vertical axis. What I mean is that one long bolt will pass through both holes.

I just bought a piece of all-thread, stuck it in there, added a pair of nuts and washers and then cut the rod flush, making a mess of the exposed threads in the process. I don’t think it will come off without cutting it…

I still say mine makes no extra noise. I guess I’m just used to it, I’ve had it on there basically the entire life of the bike, minus the first 45 minutes that it took to ruin the stock, errr, thing. Maybe my PC pipe has resulted in some hearing loss…

• BruceWA

Posted March 16, 2001 - 07:20 AM

Being somwhat older and senile, seems like I used the stock holes in the swingarm to mount my slider. :D But I could be mistaken. :) I'd also heard that the TM bolts didn't have a very long life.

• Clark_Mason

Posted March 16, 2001 - 08:14 AM

No problems with the bolts holding on my pad I think I used Three Bond medium thread locker, mayby I'm just lucky.

Clark

• JBM

Posted March 16, 2001 - 08:20 AM

Khris,
Where did you get the UFO slider? That sounds like a good option for me. There's no way I'll pay that for the TM slider, but that's just me.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 16, 2001 - 08:40 AM

I got the UFO slider from my local hole in the wall shop. They ordered it through White Bros. I get a good discount so I think the normal cost is $17. Yamaha wanted $30 for OEM replacement. The UFO one looks identical to the stock one and I didn't have to take the swing arm off to mount it like the TM one that everyone is talking about. I did have to take of my front sprocket because I'm running a 15 tooth. If you are running something smaller you could probably mount it without even removing the sprocket.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• JBM

Posted March 20, 2001 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Khris,
That's probably what I'll buy when the time comes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.