'87 Xl600r Dual Carb Question

9 replies to this topic
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted August 22, 2005 - 07:33 PM

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO RESTORE THIS BIKE AND THEN SOME FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS :D . I FINALLY HAD IT ALL BACK TOGETHER THIS PAST WEEKEND UNTIL I FOUND OUT THAT I COULDN'T FIND THE AIR SCREW. THERE IS A HOLE ON THE LEFT SIDE WHERE THE AIR SCREW IS SUPPOSED TO BE, BUT IT SEEMS TO BE SEALED WITH NO EVIDENCE OF A THREAD SUGGESTING THAT THE AIR SCREW SHOULD GO IN THERE. ANYWAY, I FOUND A VERY SMALL ADJUSTABLE SCREW WITH SPRING ON THE OUTSIDE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CARB :D NO, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE DRAIN SCREW! MY QUESTION IS, IS THIS THE AIR SCREW? I CAN'T TELL SINCE I CAN'T START THE BIKE RIGHT NOW EVEN WITH A GOOD SPARK AND FUEL PRESENT. THAT IS ANOTHER QUESTION... THANKS!

• ghoti

Posted August 23, 2005 - 08:44 AM

http://autos.groups....group/HondaXLs/

Try this group. Several members are doing and have done the same thing as you are.

• captb

Posted August 23, 2005 - 09:22 AM

As far as I can recall only one carb had a air mixture adj. the other is the secondary carb and looked untapped.

• captb

Posted August 23, 2005 - 09:35 AM

Here's a link to parts diagrams.

http://www.bikebandi...t_id~380484.asp

• redbikejohn

Posted August 27, 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hi mate - well yes it should be on the left hand carb. I have a 85 twin carb xr. Acording to the manual some markets had blanking plates put over the pilot screw, It's called anti tamper or somthing. not sure if the screw is behind it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xlerate

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:37 PM

the air screw is on the bottom of the left hand carb. the xl has an anti-tamper device on in that only lets you turn it 1/4 turn each way.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted August 28, 2005 - 09:05 PM

Come To Found Out That The '83 Model Of The Xl600r Has An Air Screw And The Later Models Have A Fuel Screw At The Bottom Of The Carb. My Bike Starts On Occasion Then Dies After A Minute Or Two. What Could Be The Problem? I Just Went Over The Carbs! Has A Good Spark And Fuel Is In The Carbs. Messed With The Decompression Too. It May Be The Valve Or Ignition Timing. What Do You Guys Think? Thanks!

• hondaracer47

Posted August 28, 2005 - 09:15 PM

How long has it been since it ran?

• BLSBRKR65

Posted August 29, 2005 - 05:30 AM

It Was Running Before I Had The Engine Rebuilt. New Bore, New Piston, Valve Job, New Cam And Chain... It Just Won't Start Long Enough For Me To Take It For A Test Drive. I.m Sure It Is An Adjustment Problem Somewhere... Valves? Jetting? Electrical? Thanks!

• ds800

Posted June 04, 2008 - 06:00 PM

Will the bike start back up after it stalls out or do you have to let it sit for a while?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.