Do IMS footpegs fix the problem?

19 replies to this topic
  • kwedean

Posted August 22, 2005 - 05:31 PM

Thanks to 600ish :D, I have a pair of IMS pro series Wide Race footpegs on the way for the V2R race. Does this fix the right footpeg problem or do I still need to send it somewhere to be reinforced? :D

• knuklehead

Posted August 22, 2005 - 05:53 PM

they just replace your stock pegs. they dont fix the rt foot peg issue. ive never had a problem with the rt peg as long as you keep an eye on the bolts to the frame. keep them tight

• jws

Posted August 22, 2005 - 06:36 PM

The IMS pegs do not fix the problem - Do yourself a favor get it fixed before it breaks - I never had a problem either till it broke :eek:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have the Kritter fix now :D :D :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted August 22, 2005 - 06:36 PM

IMS pegs do not fix it but they're great to have.
Call Precision Concepts and order a R peg mount from them and you're all done.
Yeah, I know guys will tell you/me all sorts of ways to fix them but in your shoes just do the easy thing, order a R peg mount and call it done.

• blvd619

Posted August 23, 2005 - 08:43 AM

Please do your self the favor and change the peg mount to the precision concepts reinforced one. I never had a problem with mine, kept bolts tight, clean, loctite, etc. I was warming up on the bomb run for a race last year and mine just snapped right off the bike, I almost went down pretty hard. I run the IMS pegs but that does nothing for the mounting problem. Mark and Marsha run the El Cajon store for precision, they are very nice. If you get the reinforced peg mount before you demo yours than you will not have to pay the 'core' charge, save some money.
Good luck with the 'pig'.
D38, 6f

• redmanrandyed

Posted August 23, 2005 - 09:44 AM

Does anyone have a phone number for Precision Concepts?
Also, how much does their peg cost?

Thanks

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 23, 2005 - 09:56 AM

question: what is the problem?

• jws

Posted August 23, 2005 - 10:00 AM

A bunch of us on here have gone with the Kritter fix :D

$75 Kritter fix click here

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 23, 2005 - 10:01 AM

if u nee to keep a nut on, weld it.....that will fix it....and then just grind on the weld to take it off

• clintp

Posted July 10, 2008 - 03:50 PM

A bunch of us on here have gone with the Kritter fix :thumbsup:

$75 Kritter fix click here

Is this for the R or the L?

http://www.animalhou...et/products.htm

Any other options?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted July 10, 2008 - 05:39 PM

Is this for the R or the L?

http://www.animalhou...et/products.htm

Any other options?

For the R. I am pretty sure that the two options discussed above are still the only ones. I have the 1X International mount (Precision Concepts). It doesn't break anymore (I have broke at least 5 off of the frame since I bought my first 650 in 2000). Now I just bend the sh!t out of the mount. Still better than having it shear off the frame, however.

• jbird710

Posted July 10, 2008 - 06:11 PM

+1 for the Kritter fix. I didn't wait for it to break; I can imagine how exciting that could be.

• gordons

Posted July 14, 2008 - 03:02 AM

Does the Animal House Design fix require you to drill the front hole bigger on all XRR models? On a '07 the hole goes right through anyway, why not just use a longer bolt that fits? Am I missing something here?

• coolguydave

Posted July 14, 2008 - 09:15 AM

does this apply to the L? or is it only the R because of its Aluminum frame?

• clintp

Posted July 14, 2008 - 09:21 AM

Does the Animal House Design fix require you to drill the front hole bigger on all XRR models? On a '07 the hole goes right through anyway, why not just use a longer bolt that fits? Am I missing something here?

The fix includes a piece of metal that wraps over the top of the frame & is secured on the other side. So instead of just the long bar connected to the peg only offering shear resistance it also offers some sort of wrap around resistance secured both inside, outside, & over the top of the frame.

Someone just posted an 83 xr500 & it looks like the same design even back then...

• 2strokessuck

Posted July 14, 2008 - 07:09 PM

Wow, 50 cents worth of steel plate and a 5 second weld and these guys want 75 bucks? I'll make my own, should take me a couple of beers and 30 minutes.

• gordons

Posted July 14, 2008 - 10:21 PM

Wow, 50 cents worth of steel plate and a 5 second weld and these guys want 75 bucks? I'll make my own, should take me a couple of beers and 30 minutes.

Does this mean you offer the same fix for 50 cents and a couple of beers? LOL!

The fix includes a piece of metal that wraps over the top of the frame & is secured on the other side. So instead of just the long bar connected to the peg only offering shear resistance it also offers some sort of wrap around resistance secured both inside, outside, & over the top of the frame.

Someone just posted an 83 xr500 & it looks like the same design even back then...

I understand the metal plate piece part but don't see a reason to drill the hole bigger, as quoted from AHD site. "The only tools that are required are a drill and 7/16 drill bit to drill the front hole through to make room for the larger front bolt." Why not just use the same diameter bolt but just a longer one to accomadate a nut at the back as well?:thumbsup:

• eastreich

Posted July 15, 2008 - 07:11 AM

I understand the metal plate piece part but don't see a reason to drill the hole bigger, as quoted from AHD site. "The only tools that are required are a drill and 7/16 drill bit to drill the front hole through to make room for the larger front bolt." Why not just use the same diameter bolt but just a longer one to accomadate a nut at the back as well?:thumbsup:

The root cause of the problem that I have had every time I would break the #$%^ bracket off is from bolt failure. The stock bolt starts to stretch slightly, then bends, the bracket then sits at a slight angle which wears into the bottom edge of the frame lugs, and then it fails. Now that the bottom edge of the frame lugs are rounded off a new bracket usually doesn't want to sit flat which makes a new bracket and its bolts likely to fail sooner. The bracket doesn't break off in the end, the bolts do. The larger bolt is for added shear strength and to help prevent the bolt from stretching. And with the bracket going across the frame it prevents the bracket from bending the bolts as well. The cast iron of the bracket is tougher than the frame.

• DGXR

Posted July 15, 2008 - 09:09 AM

question: what is the problem?

The right footpeg is supported purely by the mounting bolts - repeated jumping by heavy riders will evertually snap the bolts and the whole peg will fall off, often resulting in a crash and/or injury.

I have an 84 XR500 with the same rt footpeg problem, where is this 83 post and will the modified bracket work on my bike?

• Suikerland

Posted July 15, 2008 - 01:01 PM

is the Precision Concepts fix the same as the AHD one, with bracket?

I don't mind which one I get, but the disadvantage (for me) with AHD is that I have to ship in my pld footpeg to get a new one, and I'm not in the US so that costs extra $ and time. I'd rather just make the order and get it shipped. Any advantage to the AHD version?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.