Spark plug removal

15 replies to this topic
  • fester69

Posted August 22, 2005 - 11:56 AM

Hi guys I need help from the UK boys. Having jumped off a CR250 I am pulling my hair out trying to get the fouled plug out of my WR426. Can anyone recommend a good place to get hold of the special wrench?

Fester :D

• jbrooks26

Posted August 22, 2005 - 12:38 PM

Try Ebay???

• bfly

Posted August 22, 2005 - 01:02 PM

Special wrench? How about a spark plug socket and a wobbly extension?

• jchantzWR400F

Posted August 22, 2005 - 01:34 PM

I second that. :D

• byggd

Posted August 22, 2005 - 02:29 PM

That's what I use too. Does anyone know if the Yamaha tool allows you to change it without pulling the seat and tank?

• jbrooks26

Posted August 22, 2005 - 04:23 PM

No, I don't believe that you would be able to get anything into the plug location without removing the seat and tank. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know of anything that would fit. Hope this helps.

Josh

• CRFThumper

Posted August 22, 2005 - 04:37 PM

It can be done by taking the lower shroud bolts and the two long 6mm tank bolts.Then just lift the tank up a little in the front. :D

• 642MX

Posted August 22, 2005 - 04:40 PM

That's what I use too. Does anyone know if the Yamaha tool allows you to change it without pulling the seat and tank?

It's impossible to change the spark plug with the tank on. While your changing your plug its a good time to remove the engine mount and valve cover and check the valves. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted August 23, 2005 - 06:12 AM

It's impossible to change the spark plug with the tank on. While your changing your plug its a good time to remove the engine mount and valve cover and check the valves. :D

I was thinking more of if I ever foul the plug while out riding. Every bike I have ever owned I have carried a spare. Guess I will need to start packing a few more tools to at least lift the front of the tank.

• Bamster

Posted August 23, 2005 - 06:48 AM

Make sure the socket has the rubber insert to grip the plug when you pull it out.
:D

• Dirt_rebel

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:18 AM

i've mod my bike to fit a yz450f plastic. tank, shroud, air box, seat, side panels n tail all taken from a yz450f. bike now has better ergonomics. best of all, the spark plugs can be easily removed wif out removing the tank n shroud.

here's a picture of my ride..

http://slackriders.c...d3914437b00.jpg

• byggd

Posted August 23, 2005 - 08:01 AM

i've mod my bike to fit a yz450f plastic. tank, shroud, air box, seat, side panels n tail all taken from a yz450f. bike now has better ergonomics. best of all, the spark plugs can be easily removed wif out removing the tank n shroud.

I go on some long rides so I like the larger tank.
Nice Bike BTW

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 23, 2005 - 09:02 AM

I use a 'T' handle spark plug wrench made for removing spark plugs deep inside the valve covers for overhead cam automobile engines. Works really well and they have the rubber grommet in the socket to hold the plug in place during installation and removal.

Also, clean the frame and motor above and around the head, and make sure to blow out the plug well with compressed air before removing it. Don't want any "stuff" gettin' down in the cylinder. :D

• jchantzWR400F

Posted August 23, 2005 - 10:03 AM

How involved was this process??? A quick description of what you had to do would be nice.

• Dirt_rebel

Posted August 24, 2005 - 01:11 AM

u'll need to mod the sub-frame abit..the airbox mountings need to be relocate slightly lower, abt 2cm lower.. i use an extension brackets to secure my tank to the frames.. dat's abt it..

• fester69

Posted August 25, 2005 - 05:28 AM

Hi

You can get to it just if you can get the wires out of the way. I got the tool this morning and works a treat.

Cheers Fester. :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.