regulator problems

8 replies to this topic
  • woodster

Posted August 21, 2005 - 10:59 PM

Have an 05 wr450, it has now blowen two regulators, any thaughts as to why?
btw/ stock everything

• 5valve

Posted August 22, 2005 - 03:14 AM

Are you blowing bulbs or regulator
if bulbs, could be short circuit or badly connected regulator
if you have friends at electronics shop, they can measure the regulator and bike wiring

• woodster

Posted August 22, 2005 - 12:14 PM

bulbs , and now its on its third regulator

• Bamster

Posted August 22, 2005 - 02:53 PM

How do you know the regulator is blown?
What are the symtoms

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woodster

Posted August 22, 2005 - 09:18 PM

its giving around 30ac volts to the head light, which would make me think the regulator is not working, normally its around 12-14 volts ac

• mjslim

Posted August 22, 2005 - 09:38 PM

If you're seeing 30v AC at the headlight, the regulator is toast. I would look to see if you have an intermittent short or loose connection somewhere in your wiriing if you've blown 3 in a row. I accidentally shorted 12v to ground when installing my dual sport kit. It blew the fuse, but also took out the regulator. They seem to be very sensitive. Good luck tracking it down - could be a tough one.

• 5valve

Posted August 22, 2005 - 11:59 PM

approx how long does it take, before it kills the regulator and under what conditions (high rpm etc...)

• SimmPsi

Posted December 22, 2007 - 07:32 AM

I just measured my headlight and it's up to 36ACV:shocked: The regulator is toast i think. But i also measured the charging and it's ok?~13.8DCV.I get a little comfused, should not the current also be that high as the headlight if the regulator are toast?

• spidennis

Posted December 22, 2007 - 06:11 PM

going a different route, maybe float the ground on the stator and go to a complete DC system, but of course you'll need a new DC reg, not the stocker one.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.