chain cleaning help

64 replies to this topic
  • BLUEDUDE

Posted August 21, 2005 - 12:40 PM

Hi all, I just bought a brand new 2002 yz 426 ( it was sitting in a show room for 3 years) and just took it out on its first ride at the badlands last week. I lubed the chain using maxima chain wax and rode off. when I got back home and started to wash off the bike, I could not get the chain wax off of the chain. this got me very frustrated as I spent about an hour trying to this stuff off. Does anyone have any techniques on how to get this stuff off of my chain and make it look sort of new again.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2005 - 03:35 PM

Michigan has badlands? Most intriguing. I'd like to compare them to ours.

If you bought the bike truly new, it will have chain chain on that is, how shall I put this delicately....a piece of sh*t. Get rid of it now, before it ruins your sprockets by stretching 20% in the first two weeks.

As to cleaning, I use a Regina ORN O-ring chain because of its durability. I lube it externally with Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard. I wash the bike with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water sprayed on the wet bike, allowed to sit 5 minutes, and rinsed off with a garden hose. Spraying the chain with this same stuff allows the MSCG to mostly rinse off without effort. After it drys, I lube it again so it doesn't rust between rides.

• djo269

Posted August 21, 2005 - 03:49 PM

Maybe he meant a landfill.:D :D

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2005 - 04:47 PM

Maybe he meant a landfill.:D :D

Or,...Detroit? :D

• CBDaddy

Posted August 21, 2005 - 05:06 PM

The Badlands is a riding area in central Indiana, north of Indianapolis. It's not exactly Glamis, but not bad for us mid-western riders. The Silver Lake dunes in Michigan kicks the crap out of the Badlands, however, and although not as big I don't think, is much closer to a Glamis-type area.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2005 - 05:49 PM

The Badlands is a riding area in central Indiana, north of Indianapolis. It's not exactly Glamis, but not bad for us mid-western riders. The Silver Lake dunes in Michigan kicks the crap out of the Badlands, however, and although not as big I don't think, is much closer to a Glamis-type area.

See, now, you learn something every day. I had no idea there was anything vaguely resembling desert anywhere near Michigan.

Here, for comparison, are the Badlands at Ocotillo Wells

• BLUEDUDE

Posted August 21, 2005 - 07:34 PM

thanks for your info... I'm probably going to get a new chain, but after buying that bike I'm sort of low on cash. p.s Detroit isn't such a bad place once you get past the drugs and gang violence :D

• BobbySands

Posted August 21, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Before people talk TOO poorly about michigan and riding, remember this....

"The ORV trail/route system covers 3,100 miles with 73% on state forests. Of the system, 40% is cycle trail, 43% is ATV trail and 17% is route. Trails are lightly groomed and riders are likely to encounter narrow sand trails, rough moguls, steep hills, stumps, rocks, brush, loose surfaces and other hazards."

all this for a 16$ sticker. no red/green issues, in some counties (and almost all of the U.P. we can ride or motorcycles on the side of the roads with just that ORV sticker. saturday i rode 92 miles of seriously difficult trail and didn't touch 1/2 of what was available. there were about 300 miles of trails within an hour of where we camped.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 21, 2005 - 08:10 PM

thanks for your info... I'm probably going to get a new chain, but after buying that bike I'm sort of low on cash. p.s Detroit isn't such a bad place once you get past the drugs and gang violence :D

Do that, and was the bike maintained in that three year period it sat?

• Crabtree426

Posted August 21, 2005 - 08:59 PM

Use WD-40 and the Grunge Brush. Then start to use PJ's black label chain lube. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DigilubeJay

Posted August 22, 2005 - 04:18 AM

If you use the proper lubricant, you will never have a cleanup problem again.

Also, if you use the proper lubricant, you can get many hours of life out of that stock chain. This is very controvercial, as many folks tend to only trust what they have seen and heard in the past as fact.
But, I'm telling you that even though the stock chains are not the highest quality piece on the bike, they will last a good long time if properly adjusted, cleaned, and lubricated with the PROPER type of lubricant for the application.

99% of the moto specific chain lubes out there...including PJ1, Maxima, Spectro, Silkolene, etc.etc.... are crap.
If you want a different experience with both the cleaning and logevity of your chains, start using a penetrating dry-film type lubricant.
Those who have, won't go back. And they also know, like me, that the crap you hear about stock chains isn't completely true. It's more of a problem with peoples adjustment/cleaning/lubrication methods than it is poor quality chains.

This will be controvercial and bring about some argument...but for those who would argue, try realizing what happens when lubricant is performing properly...
with petroleum type lube, a film is created between the metal surfaces which keeps the metal surfaces seperated, which keeps them from wearing. Dry-films work in a slightly differnt way, by protecting the metal surfaces even after the fluid film that oil creates gets violated.
Now, if your lubricant is performing properly by keeping the metals seperated so no wear happens, how would it matter what sort of metal the chain is made of?
It only matters to many due to the fact that they are using an inferior lube product that CANNOT keep the protective fluid film at the proper thickness between the metals to keep them from wearing. In this situation, the longevity of stock stuff vs top-shelf equipment can be dramatic, and I agree.
But it's more of a lube issue than a materials issue.

This is tribology 101 stuff folks. Not rocket science.
And if some folks get many, many hours out of cheapo stock chains, then why doesn't everyone? The answer is simple, just not widely accepted yet.

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2005 - 07:56 AM

99% of the moto specific chain lubes out there...including PJ1, Maxima, Spectro, Silkolene, etc.etc.... are crap.
(what)you hear about stock chains isn't completely true. It's more of a problem with peoples adjustment/cleaning/lubrication methods than it is poor quality chains.

Now, if your lubricant is performing properly by keeping the metals seperated so no wear happens, how would it matter what sort of metal the chain is made of?

A lot of top tier motorcycles do come with at least upper middle tier chains, but the YZF line has not been one of them. The OEM chains are not made with pre-stretched plates, and the most perfect lubrication in the world will correct that. Nor will it improve the toughness of the overly brittle pins used, which cause the chain to break unreasonably easily. No, the stock YZF chains have, at least up to the '04 model, proven to be junk, and the '05 doesn't look any better so far.

Your points on the mechanics of lubrication are well taken. But while it is certainly true enough that proper maintenance is important, and the chain is an often neglected element, your opinion of commercial petroleum and synthetic chain lubes is surely colored by the fact that you market a dry film lube product, wouldn't you say?

After all, to paraphrase, "if some folks get many, many hours out of chains using commercial lubricants, then why doesn't everyone?" The answer is indeed, simple.

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 22, 2005 - 08:22 AM

The stock chain is junk and I also hate that maxima chain wax :D . The poor guy is batting a thousand with bad combinations. Get a new chain and throw that damn chain wax away. I like the Klotz chain lube and I also run a D.I.D 520 ert chain- looks good and has yet to stretch. :D

• BLUEDUDE

Posted August 22, 2005 - 10:43 AM

Do that, and was the bike maintained in that three year period it sat?

I really dont know, but when Got it last saturday it looked brand new. there were no scraches in the plastic and no signs of abuse. the only thing that was wrong with it was that the tires had lost some air.

• BLUEDUDE

Posted August 22, 2005 - 11:26 AM

WOW!! WD-40 really worked good for geting all of that crap of my chain. by the way, while I was cleaning my chain I noticed that it is a D.I.D so can it really be as bad as you say???

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 22, 2005 - 11:51 AM

Yes, it is that bad- a low grade D.I.D.

• SureBlue

Posted August 22, 2005 - 01:06 PM

Yes, it is that bad- a low grade D.I.D.

Absolutely, and no lubricant in this universe will prevent it from stretching under 450 power.
Are we going to have a pissing lubrication match again, round 2? :D

• Ga426owner

Posted August 22, 2005 - 01:42 PM

I am having great luck with the new Belray Clean no fling chain lube.....no mess what so ever and it cleans off easy. :D

• biznet1

Posted August 22, 2005 - 02:01 PM

I ran out of lube (glad of it, because it sucked), but someone gave me some off brand stuff I've never heard of, called Next Generation. It has Moly and PTFE and it seems to work very well. Dirt doesn't jump off of the track on to it, it cleans off easily and it seems to be there til the ride is over. Anyway, in a year I never had to adjust my Regina chain. Has anyone else ever used this stuff?

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 22, 2005 - 02:50 PM

I ran out of lube (glad of it, because it sucked), but someone gave me some off brand stuff I've never heard of, called Next Generation. It has Moly and PTFE and it seems to work very well. Dirt doesn't jump off of the track on to it, it cleans off easily and it seems to be there til the ride is over. Anyway, in a year I never had to adjust my Regina chain. Has anyone else ever used this stuff?

Nope, never heard of it. :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.