Fork bleed screw lets out oil

8 replies to this topic
  • johnmeasures

Posted August 21, 2005 - 12:17 PM

The bike is a YZ450F '05. Good racing 2day at Toddington, UK. 2 holeshots, 3 wins by my sponsored rider Robert Barney. I did the prep & checks between each moto. The forks have started leaking so we will replace the seals in the week. However, when I bled the air from the top of the forks the left one let oil out of the bleed screw. I have not seen this before. Any ideas why? Thanks. :D

• Satch0922

Posted August 21, 2005 - 12:19 PM

my 05 YZ250 did this also....but just once. The forks have been apart for a revalve but this happened several months after. Only happened once though. Maybe just excess pressure build up because of the heat? (at least in my situation...) :D

• johnmeasures

Posted August 21, 2005 - 12:23 PM

my 05 YZ250 did this also....but just once. The forks have been apart for a revalve but this happened several months after. Only happened once though. Maybe just excess pressure build up because of the heat? (at least in my situation...) :D

True, it was hot today. I have the sunburn to prove it! I got panda eyes, only RED!

• Satch0922

Posted August 21, 2005 - 12:27 PM

no kidding...I am right there with you. We raced today and by the time the second moto came around it was 97 degrees with a 102 heat index..... :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2005 - 08:04 AM

The '03 fork has a steel spring seat sleeve under the cap that is made in such a way that it is nearly sealed off from the rest of the fork. Oil can get trapped above it and only very slowly work its way back down. The '04 fork is not like that, but there could be something in the way the cap/spring seat is configured in the '05 that produces a similar situation.

• DPW

Posted August 22, 2005 - 08:12 AM

no kidding...I am right there with you. We raced today and by the time the second moto came around it was 97 degrees with a 102 heat index..... :D

O/T.....102 is what we ended up with? I felt it!

• johnmeasures

Posted August 22, 2005 - 12:39 PM

The '03 fork has a steel spring seat sleeve under the cap that is made in such a way that it is nearly sealed off from the rest of the fork. Oil can get trapped above it and only very slowly work its way back down. The '04 fork is not like that, but there could be something in the way the cap/spring seat is configured in the '05 that produces a similar situation.

Hi Grayracer, I was hoping you'd see my post, thanks for your help. I have learned to replace fork seals by the "monkey-see monkey-do" method & although I understand the physics of how liquids & gases behave under pressure I know very little about fork construction. I will take a closer look at the cap etc.. when I take the forks apart later this week. I am a little disappointed that every Yamaha I have campaigned, that's 5 in the last 3 years, has had flimsy fork seals. They have all failed within the first 5-10 weeks of use from new. I clean the seals using a piece of 35mm film negative so I doubt whether the failures have been due to neglect. Also I am careful not to direct the power washer jet directly onto the seals. Any ideas on replacement seals that might perform better than the originals? Thanks

• curtains23

Posted August 22, 2005 - 01:35 PM

Ive had the same leaking seals, my solution which has worked all season, take the rubber seals down to the bottom of the fork, get a tear off and cut it into strips 3cm by 1 cm and insert them vertically in between the fork and the metal bush, rotate around fork for one third of a turn and remove and wipe with clean cloth, repeat on the next third, remove and wipe and continue until any dirt or grit is removed, you will be surprised what can come out, next pull the rubber seal away from the fork gently and place a clean piece of cloth between for and seal and rotate the seal to remove any dirt from there, next put some white grease in the seal ( approx half fill it) to collect any grit that gets through and replace the seal in the fork casing. Job Done and next time clean out the grease and replace, Dependant on use do this every 2 weeks. Good Luck

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2005 - 08:05 AM

Any ideas on replacement seals that might perform better than the originals?

Some people swear by these:

http://www.synergyseals.com/

I haven't tried them, but they look like they might work really well.

Any time you have to replace a fork seal, check the surface of the tube for nicks, chunks of stuff sticking to the surface, and vertical scratches. If you can feel them, they'll cause a repeat seal failure. You can usually remove these small blemishes simply by sanding the tube "cross diagonally" with 320-220 wet/dry sandpaper. Normal wear will restore the polish to the tube in a few weeks time. If there is a serious blem, you can have the tube replated.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.