front suspension for dummies

2 replies to this topic
  • freekstyle

Posted August 20, 2005 - 09:16 PM

How often should you bottom out your front forks? I only do mostly moderate jumps but I am working on going bigger all the time. I tax out my front end on a 5 to 6 foot drop landing on both wheels, flat ground. Is this normal, I only weigh about 165? I dont know the first thing about about adjusting the front suspension so I have never messed with it. I know the 03 450's have smaller forks than the newer bikes, but I dont expect it to matter at amature level trails/ racing. I have been checking out suspension posts but its seems to allways be about the rear sag and I have that set correctly. I have read about people adding oil or changing the oil to a different weight and adjusting the springs, but to me for some reason its seems like a different language.

How do you add or change the oil? How do you adjust the front springs? Is a 6 drop on flat ground just asking for bottoming you front end?

Please advise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CHEEZE13

Posted August 20, 2005 - 10:21 PM

I just had my forks and shocks revalved, there are a myriad of things you can do, shim stack heigth diam. of shims, etc. etc. I suggest finding someone in your area that is very experienced with the "black art" and take your stuff to him and watch and learn.

• johnmeasures

Posted August 21, 2005 - 12:37 PM

Fix a zip tie round the fork leg about half way up the chrome stanchion. After riding it should end up pushed down to around 1/2 cm from the bottom. This shows you are using full suspension travel. For mx with big table tops etc.. you should not bottom out the forks more than once per lap max. There is a basic suspension tuning guide on the ohlins site (PDF format). Or borrow some KTM suspension manuals, they have good basic setup info. Or find another rider who seems to have a better setup & "share". Always remember to write down the settings BEFORE they get changed, so you can get back to stock settings if you need to.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.