'05 450 break-in

8 replies to this topic
  • CheYuen

Posted August 20, 2005 - 06:33 PM

I am not only a newbie to TT but also to riding. I have been teaching myself how to ride for the last year on a used XT 350 dual sport and just got my WR about a month ago. I tooled around on it a little bit in the neighborhood, but today was the first day I got to even get past third gear on a real ride! My question is this: It seems that the bike changed as I rode it. It sounded different, throttle response seemed better, and acceleration felt harder. Do brand new bikes do this or is this just my imagination? If it is really doing this; what is changing with the bike to cause this? Also, what kind of gas does everyone run in their WR? octane? THANKS

-Clueless

• Stinson

Posted August 20, 2005 - 07:13 PM

the tolerances are so close on a new bike that it feels like its slugggish and doesnt want to rev. Wait till you do the free mods and get the jetting sorted out, your bike will be a beast. Now, go change your oil ASAP!!!! The reason is because there will be fine metal particals in the oil from the break in. Enjoy Cya Stinson

• G'nK-ville

Posted August 20, 2005 - 08:51 PM

Like stretching before a run. loosens up everything so it all moves freely. Plus rings get seated for better comp.

• minion

Posted August 20, 2005 - 10:40 PM

I am not only a newbie to TT but also to riding. I have been teaching myself how to ride for the last year on a used XT 350 dual sport and just got my WR about a month ago. I tooled around on it a little bit in the neighborhood, but today was the first day I got to even get past third gear on a real ride! My question is this: It seems that the bike changed as I rode it. It sounded different, throttle response seemed better, and acceleration felt harder. Do brand new bikes do this or is this just my imagination? If it is really doing this; what is changing with the bike to cause this? Also, what kind of gas does everyone run in their WR? octane? THANKS

-Clueless

The owners manaul suggests 95 octane. But when you read that, they also suggest the way they rate octane. Apparently there are two ways to do so, one that us in America do it at the pump, and another way. Either way you look at it, it wants good octane. After all, it is a 12:1 compression motor. There is a station in my town that sells 94 at the pump, which is what I run in it.

I could probably run less and be ok, but after buying a brand new bike, I think I can shell out the extra 25cents a gallon for the gas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • farmrider

Posted August 25, 2005 - 07:43 PM

...all engines break in...valves seat, piston rings seat.....the performance will improve as the bike breaks in....CHANGE YOUR OIL......if you can after about 2 or 3 hours of riding....the first oil change is the most important, because the parts that are seating are loosing very small amounts of metall into the oil. If you are new to riding, watch some instructional videos, they can be really helpful.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 26, 2005 - 04:33 AM

Mine loosened up yielding more power after 2 hours or so. That's when I changed oil. Oil actually looked good- no visible metal flakes. :D

• 450 Hurricane

Posted August 26, 2005 - 05:11 AM

Got mine a couple months ago and it felt better after a couple rides. Ditto on the oil change.

Now explore doing the free mods and get ready to hold on tight!

• nurooi

Posted October 25, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Cheyeun,

I am in the same boat as you. Got my Wr450 on Friday and was completely miffed at the response it provided (even called the dealer). However, after a couple of hours the sounds changed and it took off. As the other posts suggest it is the natural progression for the bike being new and all.

• clark4131

Posted October 25, 2005 - 07:26 AM

Don't forget about the free mods. If you haven't done them yet and you've gotten to thinking that the bike is powerful, you're in for a very big surprise...I hope you bought body armor...SC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.