yzf valves vs crf valves?

41 replies to this topic
  • bigblue450

Posted August 20, 2005 - 06:31 PM

I sold my 03 yz450 for a 06 but they wont be out till nov. or dec. I was goingto buy a 06 crf 450 today but I keep reading about valves on new 06 crf out of spec brand new. My 03yz was always perfect . I dont want to buy a bike I have to check re shim, and change valves all the time. I guess I got spoiled on my 03 yz. The crf threads talk alot about check, shim, change etc. Are any of you guys going thru this on your yz450? I live in the northeast and have 3 months of riding left. Should I suck it up and wait to ride till next year 06 yz or take a chance with the crf 450 . Thanks guys John

• 642MX

Posted August 20, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Suck it up. YZF's are 100 times more reliable than the CRF's.

• YamahaX25

Posted August 20, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Yaman. Wait a couple more months, it will be worth it to have that 50th edition sitting in your garage.

• 99raptor

Posted August 20, 2005 - 07:31 PM

No faith in the "red".Gotta ride blue!!!

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2005 - 07:33 PM

It's a simple matter of superior quality, that's all.

The answer is no, I am not going through it. My '03 is still stubbornly refusing to need it's first valve adjustment. I did have to replace the valves in my 250F in January at about 400 hours, but it has not needed a reshim since before I bolted the head on.

I have more trouble with my sundial.

• 642MX

Posted August 20, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Thats funny stuff! :D

• skthom2320

Posted August 20, 2005 - 11:18 PM

Jeez - buy a bike already! Stop agonizing over it! :D

I have an old bullet-proof YZF (the '01). And I have an '04 CRF.

I've ridden the CRF since Feb '04 and have had no problems whatsoever. But let me tell you this. Even if I did need to replace the valves, I would do it in a heartbeat. The bike is that good. Period.

• djo269

Posted August 20, 2005 - 11:25 PM

Man, you are old! lol,j/k

• Satch0922

Posted August 21, 2005 - 12:26 PM

the 06 YZF appears to be cutting edge. When you see guys compare their 04-05 CRF to the 03-05 YZF it is not relavent to what you are asking.

First off, do you race and what is your skill level? If you race and are fast novice or better you can expect the CRF to need valves at about 50 hours. At least that is what seems to be the norm and not the exception. The 05 is not different. Now whether the 06 CRF is better or not is an unknown however you would think if they changed them for the better Honda would really be bragging about it! :D

The 2006 YZF would be my choice...but then again I am biased. I have never felt you should pay $6000 + for a time bomb...takes all the fun out of it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2005 - 06:31 PM

... you would think if they changed them for the better Honda would really be bragging about it! :D

All very well said, as usual, Satch. But what your quote above suggests would require that they admit they had a previous problem.... :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted August 21, 2005 - 08:15 PM

Thats funny stuff! :D

LOL, thats MXA stuff.

• nfrcr31

Posted August 21, 2005 - 10:48 PM

You're right... I have a '03 crf450 and had my valves replaced at about 50 hours.. I do race the bike (vet beginner/novice) however not nearly to it's potenial. I have about 50 hours on the bike since the last valave job and I need another valve job soon. I love the bikes power, suspension, and handling and the bike doesn't even compare to an '04 or '05 as far as performace. I had been reading that the '06 crf450 valves have been improved, however I'll we'll just have to wait and see about that claim. I am going to buy an '06 bike as soon as they are all out... I probably will NOT buy a Honda 4-stroke, unless it comes with a team Honda mechanic to tear down the engine every week. I think the Honda crf450 has been the best performing bike for the last couple of years however I definitely thinks it's lacking in engine reliability.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 22, 2005 - 05:58 AM

Here this should answer this once and for all:

Straight from the Red Forum..... :D

Re: "06" Valve problem?

Originally Posted by 450fguy
3 out of 3 "06" 450's..checked at my local shop were out of spec....one of them was WAY off....i have not checked mine yet...but i am getting a little nervous...(i will do it next week)..
has anyone else with an "06" had there valves checked yet??

Kelsters answer:

i have just re-shimmed two of them this week,
both riders ripped them hard for afew motos and several practice's,

and i had to change acoupple shims on both bikes to get them perfect

this is normal and you should be doing this anyway all the time.

no big deal,---once you get used to it you can check and re-shim your valves as just part of maintenance , very simple

So the lession here is if you want to buy a CRF - they are fanastic bikes but in order to keep them running at tip top condition and more importantly for extended periods of time you must check the valves all the time or a lot of the time and reshim as necessessary.....this is the difference today. :D

• Satch0922

Posted August 22, 2005 - 07:59 AM

once they zero out...there done. You can reshim but you will be doing it every weekend and worrying about it every time you ride the bike. That is no fun. Replace them at that point....(or sooner)

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 22, 2005 - 08:42 AM

Wow, you would think that Honda would have solved the valve issue by now.
The 06' crf looks good but who wants the headache of valve problems.

• nfrcr31

Posted August 22, 2005 - 06:52 PM

I posted earlier about my crf450 valve problems....Does any of you YAMAHA owners have valve problems???? If this is a reoccurring problem I'm going back to 2-smoke!!!!!

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 22, 2005 - 07:04 PM

I posted earlier about my crf450 valve problems....Does any of you YAMAHA owners have valve problems???? If this is a reoccurring problem I'm going back to 2-smoke!!!!!

It is uncommon for a Yamaha to have valve problems. The valve train design is far superior than the Honda. :D

• jerryls

Posted August 22, 2005 - 08:04 PM

This isn't a scientific poll by any means, but I've talked to quite a few people that I race with. I haven't run into any Yamaha owners (YZ450's and WR450's) with valve problems. A couple guys with YZ426's did have some issues. The Honda owners seem to fall into one of two categories: guys that check their valves regularly and have no problems, and those that don't and have to buy a new head and valves.

And in all fairness to 2-smokes, I haven't heard of a single one with valve problems :D

• jeff_wsu

Posted August 22, 2005 - 08:18 PM

I agree Jerry, Honda owners do usually fall into those two categories. I maintain my Honda as I would a Yamaha. Even if the Yamaha has more reliable values that doesn't mean you can ignore maintenance longer on one. Any color of bikes are great these days, but if you don't maintain them then you're bound to have issues. If take care of your bikes and perform regular maintenance valve issues should be non-existent or not very serious. Even though I own a Honda I'm not being bias, it just comes down to one thing..... MAINTENACE…

• jerryls

Posted August 22, 2005 - 08:26 PM

I do have to make this disclosure: I've been racing my '04 WR for two seasons, and hopefully this winter I'll get around to checking my valves for the first time. :D

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.