2005 WR450 Exhaust Restrictor

Does anyone know for sure that if the exhaust restrictor is removed that the sound level will remain below 96db?

I doubt it. Get the GYT-R insert from Yamaha, it should pass that level and still give you adequate performance with a lot less restriction.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelscitemdetail/5/210/1222/5389/2006/1/3335/0/0/detail.aspx

I would check out the Pro Moto Billet endcap for the 05',it should give you a little more power and still be quiet enough.( Here is the quote from there website:Manufactured from 304 stainless steel, the 2005 Yamaha WR Silent Insert that is more like a performance insert. Throw away the stock baffle that comes with your bike because it is simply too restrictive! Here is the solution. The silent insert simply replaces the stock baffle. Extensive testing was done to achieve maximum flow-rate and still be below the 96 db law! )

I welded up my own out of stainless tubing but I also took the baffles out so it is louder than 96dbs now. Hope that helps out some. Check them out at:

http://www.promotobillet.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=80.

Per the May issue of Dirt Bike magazine, yes,the 05 does stay below the 96 db limit with the end baffle removed. Don't waste your money on an insert.

Don't remove the whole baffle! Remove the baffle and then drill out the two small rivets and remove the small inner baffle. The db will be below 96 with the small insert removed but not the whole baffle. The PMB insert is the way to go but you should rejet if you install it.

Correct, the inner baffle is the one to remove by drilling out the 2 rivets. The inner baffle is installed in what is known as the tail pipe so technically there is only one baffle at the exit end of the exhaust system. It'll stay below 96 DB and breath pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...