help street legal in washington?

12 replies to this topic
  • tractornate

Posted August 20, 2005 - 08:39 AM

I am looking for info on how to get a plate on my 05 wr i have had it almost a year and now want to put a plate on it. Any ideas of how any one in washington has done it. thanks

• MXJunky

Posted August 24, 2005 - 10:43 AM

Your bike needs to state that is able to be ridden on the street on the title to make it street legal. It's a bullshit loophole type thing. Trying to get a dirt bike plated in Washington state is a nightmare and next to impossible. What MXJunky did (which is probably not the most legal approach), was get a friend in Oregon to allow him to use the Oregon address to get an Oregon plate for his DRZ. If you get caught, however, with an out of state plate, while you have a Washington drivers liscense, the man will throw the book at you.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted August 24, 2005 - 10:46 AM

I am looking for info on how to get a plate on my 05 wr i have had it almost a year and now want to put a plate on it. Any ideas of how any one in washington has done it. thanks

Pretty tough, but not impossible (see sig file) :D

• tractornate

Posted September 02, 2005 - 11:37 AM

this is diving me crazy stopped by dol and they chased me out! could a person regester a bike in oregon and then transfer to washington? I have heard this works but i have also been told that dol cks the vin number and then wont let you keep it pladed!
I coughed up and bought a street bike to keep me from going mad but in the 200 miles i have put on it i have passed 2 differnt wr's with plates ( :D sucks)

• bigdrtrdr

Posted September 03, 2005 - 07:31 AM

Your only hope is a bribe at the DOL or a friend in ID or OR. Have the bike registerd in one of those states and then re-register it in WA at a later date and you will get your plate.
Eric

• tractornate

Posted September 03, 2005 - 08:35 AM

well then off to oregon i go!!
thanks for you help guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tyler426

Posted September 03, 2005 - 08:14 PM

I want to get my WR street legal in washington too. Right now im living in Phoenix and its easy to do here. So im wondering if i get it steet legal here, will it be street legal when i switch the registration from AZ to WA when i move back? seems like it would but i dont know how that stuff works, anyone else think this would work?

• bigdrtrdr

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:41 AM

I want to get my WR street legal in washington too. Right now im living in Phoenix and its easy to do here. So im wondering if i get it steet legal here, will it be street legal when i switch the registration from AZ to WA when i move back? seems like it would but i dont know how that stuff works, anyone else think this would work?

If you bring your bike into Washington state with an out of state plate all you have to do is re-licence it in Wa and they will give you a Wa plate.
No matter what it is.
Thats why its so screwy here.
Eric

• katoom525sx

Posted September 07, 2005 - 12:01 AM

Your bike needs to state that is able to be ridden on the street on the title to make it street legal. It's a bullshit loophole type thing. Trying to get a dirt bike plated in Washington state is a nightmare and next to impossible. What MXJunky did (which is probably not the most legal approach), was get a friend in Oregon to allow him to use the Oregon address to get an Oregon plate for his DRZ. If you get caught, however, with an out of state plate, while you have a Washington drivers liscense, the man will throw the book at you.

That is BS just say you stay 6 months out of the year in Oregon and 6 months here they cant say anything about it I know of people that have houses and cars in different states

• zane5219

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:53 PM

i had an xr 400 i was going to street legal here in WA and i spoke to a very friendly lady at the dol. she basically said that you need to take it through the state patrol inspections before being able to license it for street use. also that it must be 100% ready for street use. IE - DOT tires, turn signals, horn, etc. I knew i would need all that, but i changed my mind. good luck!

• Lowedog

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:49 PM

The WSP will not inspect off road MC's for street use anymore. It is not ilegal to license one if you can get it done. It's a total political thing and complet BS but it's a fact. What bothers me is I can build a piece of crap chopper in my garage out of scrap metal, take it to the WSP and have it inspected, then get it licensed but I can't put a DS kit on a offroad bike and do the same thing.

So your best bet is ID. I hear Oregon is making it tougher to do this. I guess ID won't even ask. If you know someone who lives there you could transfer it to them, license it then transfer it back. I have a friend who bought a WR from a dealer ship there and just gave them an address for an apt. he found for rent in ID and then waited 90 days to avoid paying WA sales tax and transfered it to WA.

Another thing, you don't need turn signals to be legal and DOT tires are no longer required for street use of a MC.

-Lowedog

• Balcs23

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:35 PM

I have an 03 WR 450 and an 02 XR70 with washington street plates. I bought my bikes in Canada, had the shop take temporary ownership so you get paperwork and do not have to have the certificate of origin which says (for off road use only). That's what kills you in Washington. Anyway, make sure the paperwork does not say anything about it being a dirt bike. I went to get it licenced in Seattle, handed them my paperwork and said; I need to pay my state tax and get my license plate. They did not question it and I did it on 2 WR's and the 70, my friends WR. It worked perfect. The thing is though, I rode it on the street for a couple months,then I hit Ward creek and freeked out about the for stroke power and stripped it down like a YZ and have been racing it ever since. I am going to convert it back to Dual Sport and get an 06 YZ 450 because of the top heavy bulk that damn WR has, I will miss the electric start though on the track when you make a mistake. Any other questions feel free to ask.

• gargross

Posted September 10, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Other than ID and OR does anyone know the regulations of other states? I don't have any friends or family in either place. Specifically.. What about GA or FL? Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.