Perfect Jetting

4 replies to this topic
  • FlashGordon

Posted August 19, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Hey guy’s,

I was reading a thread from a couple days ago where people were listing what their jetting specs were. I was suprised to see a bunch of 450's with 158 mains, and 38 pilot jets. I have a 99 YZ400F, and it's way richer than that.

Main 180
Pilot 48
Needle 2nd slot from top
Stock pipe with PMB spark arrestor
Live at sea level, ride at 3000-6500 ft.

My bike runs great. Plug is not rich at all. One of the best starting machines I have ever had. I was tweeking the jetting when I first got it to help make it start easier, and to get rid of that annoying de-acceleration pop at low rpms. Going to a bigger pilot eliminated that minor backfire, and helped starting. My only complaint is the off idle bog when you quickly snap the throttle. I did the throttle pump mod, and shortened the squirt duration from 5 secs to .5 secs. Helped a bit. Did a homemade power now; helped a bit more. I can snap the throttle, and it has a bog, but won't kill the engine as it once did. Adding an 8oz flywheel weight made it better for riding, but also slowed down the quick rev. I wish it had no bog, as my buddies CRF450, but I got tired of tweeking.

My question is, how could there be such a huge disparity on jetting between this 400 and the 426/450, and still run so well, minus the bog off idle? I keep my pilot fuel screw at 2.5 turns out. If I screw it in just a turn, it will start popping on de-acceleration just sitting there at idle, so I need to keep it where it is, or go up one pilot jet size. Float is set perfect per the manual. At idle to 1/4 throttle, it's just the pilot, and the needle right? If I went to a different needle, could I drop down the main jet size?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted October 02, 2005 - 03:27 PM

To answer your question about why 450 has smaller jets...

A 450 has bigger displacement which leads to more vacuum to suck fuel in. A 450 draws more fuel through a main jet then a 400 will. Hence smaller jets are needed, otherwise it would be too rich.

Can't help you with your bog problem as I have one of my own that I'm trying to solve on my 450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted October 02, 2005 - 04:14 PM

I solved my bog problem with a Boyesen Quick Shot AP cover. It makes a night and day difference in throttle response. Maybe you guys need to try one?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted October 02, 2005 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the tip, but I'm too cheap and stubborn to spend a $100 on something that I can fix with correct jetting and proper set-up.

• Matt96xr6

Posted October 02, 2005 - 08:33 PM

From playing on many FCR carbs, once you get the AP squirt dialed in (with either the BK mod for the 00-02 bikes or different sized leak jet for the 03+) and adjust the fuel screw a bit, if you still have problems it is in the needle.

Try a different needle or just get the JD Jet kit with the special triple tapered needles.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.