May have to sell, Expected life expextancy of parts...

11 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted August 19, 2005 - 02:08 PM

Hello all, I have come to the sad notion that I may have to sell my 2000 XR650R, Other than the obvious problem of having to sell it I am trying to estimate the mileage. It is difficult b/c I haven't not had a consistent time of riding since I bought it. But I am still on stock rear sprocket, and just replaced Dunlop 756 100 miles ago (only one tire my entire use), I do ride 2 mile road to trail head and 5-8 miles if I get off and take road back b/c I'm in a hurry. Also much of trails is gravel/rock/dirt with some gravel logging roads used for access. I looked back at what previous owner said, my situations and wrote out an estimate of 875 miles, does this sould possible for stock sprockets and one rear tire?

With this amount of total use what sort of price should I ask? Looking at Cycle trader and ebay I was estimating $3500 or OBO? Going for > $4000 in CA but one on ebay in TN wants $3600 for 500 miles. Does this sound reasonable for estimated use? Or should I ask $3000?
I orginally wrote out the entire history and services done to this bike to get estimates from you experts but thought it was too long (I'm wordy) to post but I still have it if interested!

I'm sure area makes a difference b/c most use is in CA but its currently in Birmingham AL and I'm in Atlanta GA. Next weekend of the 27-28 We are going there to help my brother-in-law move and I can take pictures if needed but it looks like any other bike out there!

This bike probably should have been sold 2 months after I bought it to a deserving rider that would use it more than me but love it as least as much. But it was bought before I was married when I was rich and I have been afraid that if I sold it, it’d be a long time before I could afford another bike on a married students income, (negative income) but we are a year from graduating and need a second vehicle b/c we can no long share one. So I need some extra dough and will replace it as soon as I can!

Please help, any input is helpful! (in MS/TN no title is required for used bikes so I don't have one so it would be difficult to get it street legal but I was told that if I had a noterized bill of sale it would be possible instead of the hand written sheet that I had. But I didn't fool with it, too much paperwork for me and one day I'll get a dedicated street bike.)

If you have any suggestions, ideas, or if interested PM me and I'll send you email and phone number!

Thanks

Justin T.

PS our pickup was stolen 2 weeks ago and due to insurance being stingy we had to buy an old buick so if interested it would have to be seen in Birmingham AL b/c I can't transport it right now.

• Supplicate

Posted August 19, 2005 - 09:03 PM

I'll give you 3500 shipped

:D

I don't konw what to tell you to ask since I always set prices too high on things I don't really want to get rid of.

• YardieXR

Posted August 19, 2005 - 09:19 PM

Hmm.. I dunno sounds sketchy....poor me ..I'm married and dont have any income...dont have any clue about miles..no tiltle... my truck was stolen....rather buy a bike from a used car sales man...at least Id know I was getiing ripped off....

• J_T

Posted August 19, 2005 - 11:28 PM

thats harsh. Newbie needs to learn some manners. I don't believe anything I said was forcing you to buy my bike. I didn't even commit to selling it yet, I'm trying to see if it'd bring enough to make it worth selling it. I'm still debating b/c if I did sell it it'd mean if I wanted to ride I'd have to use my buddies extra bike, his wife's ...DRZ 400 and I don't care for it too much.

....poor me ..I'm married and dont have any income...dont have any clue about miles..no tiltle... my truck was stolen....

Absolutely nothing I said is asking for your pitty, I'm glad I'm almost finished with med school, my wife is almost finished as well, our truck was insured, none of these bikes come with an odometer, and of my last 4 bikes not one was issued or ever needed a title or any other certificate! I was justifying why I am having to get rid of an excellent bike that is barely used that I am very happy with.

• bork

Posted August 20, 2005 - 05:39 AM

Excuse my ingnorance , what is b/c?

• J_T

Posted August 20, 2005 - 10:37 AM

b/c = because

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldoutdoorsman

Posted August 20, 2005 - 10:56 AM

I'd suggest start with no more than 3K and expect some wiggle room, but utimately its up to you and what you think it is worth to you but don't expect the prices you see from bikes out west.

About the title issue; I have been riding for ~35 years now and have owned many dirt and street bikes and I never once had a title for a dirt bike, even the new ones from the dealers. The only thing I had was the MSO but only when new, it never transferred with the use bikes. Just keep a copy of the VIN numbers and bill of sale with previous owners info on record.

YardieXR...go back to your DRZ forum. You sound young and ignorant and don't know how life deals you a bad hand, Maybe they'll baby your ignorance over there.

• jws

Posted August 20, 2005 - 11:01 AM

Hmm.. I dunno sounds sketchy....poor me ..I'm married and dont have any income...dont have any clue about miles..no tiltle... my truck was stolen....rather buy a bike from a used car sales man...at least Id know I was getiing ripped off....

Slow down Yardie - J_T has been here a while. I dont think he is out to fock anyone. He is just looking for a fair market value of his Pig :D

Id say between $3,000 and $3,500 depending on what mods you have done :D Post some pics and you will probaly get some better replys

Jeff :D

• J_T

Posted August 20, 2005 - 11:04 AM

good point, I'll take some pics next weekend.

• irondude

Posted August 20, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Even in Cali $4000 seems high for a 5 year old bike--maybe if it had a Cali plate?

I want $4200 for mine--its got tons of extras, Cali plate, rebuilt motor, etc.

Not trying to compete - just example of prices. I figure a plate is worth $500-750.

Also summer is winding down-end of the riding season in some areas (although its the begining out here)---so that might not be good.

Keep the bike!!!!!!

I spent 10 years at Uni--i feel your pain. Aint easy. If you sell you probably wont get another bike for a long time--and you might miss out on part of lifes 2 wheeled adventure...

• Supplicate

Posted August 20, 2005 - 12:45 PM

I want $4200 for mine--its got tons of extras, Cali plate, rebuilt motor, etc.

:D the Dakar bike?

• YardieXR

Posted August 20, 2005 - 02:22 PM

My apologies.....dint mean to offend, just sounds a little sketchy for me...I would be more interested if you did post some pics to demonstrate how clean the bike is....Just because I'm a newbie doesnt mean I am stupid...

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.