Doug Henry's YZ450

18 replies to this topic
  • jbyo

Posted August 19, 2005 - 05:54 AM

Does anyone have any info on Doug Henry's YZ450 Supermoto?
Very curiuos of his set up from exhaust to sprocket sizes, carb jetting, flywheel weight, looking to draw ideas to turn my yz450 into a supermoto bike. With the 4 speed tranny curious to know how to optimize.
Thanks

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 19, 2005 - 06:04 AM

Does anyone have any info on Doug Henry's YZ450 Supermoto?
Very curiuos of his set up from exhaust to sprocket sizes, carb jetting, flywheel weight, looking to draw ideas to turn my yz450 into a supermoto bike. With the 4 speed tranny curious to know how to optimize.
Thanks

Did Henry Change back to Yamaha? He was riding a CRF 450 in Supermoto for Troy Lee.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 19, 2005 - 06:17 AM

Yep he is back on Blue....I would assume that he is running a 5 speed for supermoto....what do you think.

• Reyndogg

Posted August 19, 2005 - 06:21 AM

Yeah he's w/Yamaha...

I doubt his jetting would do you much good...

The first thing i would do is get the suspension and braking done - power doesn't mean jack if you cant put it to the ground.

When i raced SuperMoto gearing was different for every track we raced on, so i had a good variety of gearing.

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Yep he is back on Blue....I would assume that he is running a 5 speed for supermoto....what do you think.

Can't recall where the track was, but I just saw him two weeks ago on the tube. Won going away. Something like 35 seconds 5 laps from the end. The bike is fast, and does whatever he wants it to. Looks like a steel frame, though, and I'm pretty sure it's a 5 speed, too. Most of them are, and I know his last YZ450 was.

The race was 40 laps with a mandatory rear tire change, and the rules say the wheel has to go in the way the stock one does. His pit stop was 26 seconds, 7 seconds faster than anyone else I saw.

• jbyo

Posted August 19, 2005 - 07:25 AM

I had the suspension rebuilt with a stiff set up for 230 lb rider, I know I still have to lower it a lil. I know I need a new rotor, caliper, steel line, maybe different sprockets and chain. Plus it's fun to come up with the plan reseaching all this stuff.

• jbyo

Posted August 19, 2005 - 07:27 AM

So he might be running the WR motor with YZ cams no? WR 5 speed YZ450F 4 speed...

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 19, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Whatever Doug has in his YZF I am pretty sure we will not have access to it, especially transmission pieces. When you are a factory guy like Doug you get all of the best $#!T :D

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 19, 2005 - 07:44 AM

Oh yah, this thread is cool because Doug Henry is up there with the rest of my heroes, Kevin Harvick, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, Michael Schumacher, ect.............. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbyo

Posted August 19, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Don't know if you watched the xgames race but Henry was amazing. I have to give Eric Bostrom alot of credit as well, McGrath too. Bostrom I think was holding back in the dirt section, he's in the points for AMA Superbike, can't afford injury at this time.

• Satch0922

Posted August 19, 2005 - 11:56 AM

Can't recall where the track was, but I just saw him two weeks ago on the tube. Won going away. Something like 35 seconds 5 laps from the end. The bike is fast, and does whatever he wants it to. Looks like a steel frame, though, and I'm pretty sure it's a 5 speed, too. Most of them are, and I know his last YZ450 was.

The race was 40 laps with a mandatory rear tire change, and the rules say the wheel has to go in the way the stock one does. His pit stop was 26 seconds, 7 seconds faster than anyone else I saw.

That was the xGames .....Doug kicked butt!
:D

• DaveJ

Posted August 19, 2005 - 02:26 PM

Doug is with Graves Motorsports. Here's a link. Give them a few months and I'm sure they will publish some details on the bike as they do their R1s.

http://www.gravespor...moto/XGames.htm

• Thrash1

Posted August 19, 2005 - 07:18 PM

"Henry became the first rider to win a supercross race on a four-stroke motorcycle in 1997, and he rode the same Yamaha YZ400F in Sunday's race. "

http://expn.go.com/e...rmoto_instant00

Looks like he was riding a '97 YZ400F I bet Henry was doing this :D

• 89yz250

Posted August 19, 2005 - 11:05 PM

did you guys see him do the no footer at the end over the huge a$$ tower
absolutley SICK!!! :D :D :D :eek:
I bet cooper mountain race will have the same result henrey spanking the field

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2005 - 12:23 PM

"Henry became the first rider to win a supercross race on a four-stroke motorcycle in 1997, and he rode the same Yamaha YZ400F in Sunday's race. "

http://expn.go.com/e...rmoto_instant00

Looks like he was riding a '97 YZ400F I bet Henry was doing this :D

Now that's Professional Journalism right there. :D :D

• DigilubeJay

Posted August 22, 2005 - 04:43 AM

Dougs previous (Yamaha) mechanic is a member here. Perhaps he will see this thread and give us some insight.
Where ya at, Bill???

• DPW

Posted August 22, 2005 - 08:18 AM

Doug hurt....http://www.cyclenews...HeadlineID=8076

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 22, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Did Henry Change back to Yamaha? He was riding a CRF 450 in Supermoto for Troy Lee.

Yeah, I took notice at the X-Games. Sweet!

He got back on Yamaha at the Southwick National though, he was on a YZ250.

• bob333

Posted August 26, 2005 - 04:03 PM

you saw him at xgames 11

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.