WR426 Road Tires

11 replies to this topic
  • RMarkus

Posted August 18, 2005 - 03:20 PM

I don't ride in the dirt and hardly ride the WR at all. I was wondering if there were tires that were much more road oriented that would fit the stock rims.

I don't have the money to get 17" rims and I see there is a class of spuermoto where guys put street tires on the stock rims to race.

I've loked around a bit, but can't find any tires. I thought maybe someone here may have tried it or knows which tires to use.

Thanks.

• Matty05

Posted August 18, 2005 - 03:48 PM

You might find it easier if you look at dual purpose tyres.

Pirelli make a more for the road tyre in the MT90 scorpion S/T.
Dunlop has one for the street in the D607.

I have read that you can get 17" rims off rgv250's and cbr250's to adapt very easily.
I don't have any info for you on hand though. The supermoto boys might be able to help you out.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 18, 2005 - 04:37 PM

Mounted up Dunlop K180's last night. FlAt track tire that also motards and streets well. A&A racing.

Avon Gripster, Avon Distanzia [sp?], severaL other Avons. Maxxis makes a couple different tread patterns too.

Check motard forum for more details. :D

• RMarkus

Posted August 18, 2005 - 09:25 PM

I guess my next question is what size tires will fit on the stock rims.

Right now I have a 80/100-21 on front and a 110/100-18 on the rear. The closest fit I can find of the above mentioned tires is 90/90-21 and very few 18 inch rear tires, none of them even close to 110/100.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 19, 2005 - 05:05 AM

My rear K180 is a 120. Works well on stock rim.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 19, 2005 - 05:42 AM

IRC TR-1 trials tires. Cheap (about $100 for the set if you shop around online), DOT approved, and they work surprisingly well on and off-road.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe Reitman

Posted August 19, 2005 - 06:39 AM

IRC TR-1 trials tires. Cheap (about $100 for the set if you shop around online), DOT approved, and they work surprisingly well on and off-road.

Wow, the K180s are over $100 delivered. Each. :D

• Georgie-Hammer

Posted August 19, 2005 - 03:40 PM

You have got a competition bike bro !!!, use it for what it was designed for, dirt and or super moto. if you want it for the road ??? get a XT 600

• Math

Posted August 19, 2005 - 05:41 PM

You might find it easier if you look at dual purpose tyres.

Pirelli make a more for the road tyre in the MT90 scorpion S/T.
Dunlop has one for the street in the D607.

Matty nailed it. I run very similar tires to what he mentioned which are the Michelin Siracs. These tires will get your WR through all types of terrain except deep sand or mud. They are surprisingly efficient. On the road they are sooooo smooth. I love the Siracs. They also hold up very good. I can easily run the rear one for 5000 Km and get about twice this mileage from the front one.

Try them, they are great.

I would assume the Dunlop and the Pirelli are as good as the Siracs but can't really confirm since I never tested them. The thread is really really similiar and you know about the quality of Pirelli and Dunlop tires so... they are probably great.

• bdmmotard

Posted August 19, 2005 - 08:08 PM

running street tires on stock rims is referred to as "sportsman" set up. search that word in supermoto forum and you'll get a ton of info.

I had a friend use pirelli scorpions, and he flew on the motard track. those work very well and are reasonably priced. gripsters are also nice.

• cadvette

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:25 AM

I have a 2003 WR450 that is street legal. And with the price of gas lately found myself riding it to work more often. I bought a used 21" and 18" rim off of ebay pretty cheap and installed a set of Kenda K761's on them.

The Kenda K761's are H speed rated(130mph) and 90% road and 10% trail. The sizes I got were 90/90-21 Front, 120/80-18 rear. Here are the part no.'s and prices from Dennis Kirk.

Front 90/90-21; pn 542224 pr $46.99

Rear 120/80-18; pn542222 pr $55.99

I have had these tires on since April and put about 400 street only miles on them and they seem to be holding up very good. These tires are cheep in price compared to all the others, so why not give them a try.

I have run Kenda tires on almost all the bikes I have owned and have been very satisfied.

• crfdude86

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:28 AM

thats a pretty good price.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.