1.2L are they sure?

8 replies to this topic
  • djo269

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:40 PM

I am thinking yamaha put a misprint in the 2003 yz450f manuals. They say the total amount of oil is 1.2L. But after I put in closer to 1.3L in my last oil change, the oil barely registers on the dipstick. The oil line doesn't even make it to half-way between full and add mark. I know they wanted to shed weight on this particular year & model but...why would they skimp on the life-blood of the machine? Is it ok to add a little more to take er' on up to full mark? I followed the correct procedures in the manual(which as far as covering the details on the oil level inspection, the manual is very vague). They say to idle over 3 minutes then check. Pretty vague. When over 3 minutes should you stop the engine?When turning off the engine, how quickly should you check it? Pretty vague. Engine oil to me is probably the number one easiest thing you can take care of to protect the longevity of the machine. I am not too happy with the fact that they wanted to cut weight by decreasing the oil amount. But I also know that the consequences of having too much oil is often worse than not having enough. So what do you all think...

• grayracer513

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:55 PM

The capacity of the tank itself was not changed when the recommended oil charge was reduced, only the dipstick and its location. You could run 1.5 liters with no trouble at all. Just be careful opening the dipstick. Check the oil when it's hot for a more accurate read, though.

And the consequences of too much oil, however smokey and messy they might be, are NEVER as bad as not having enough.

• WheelsUp

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:57 PM

And the consequences of too much oil, however smokey and messy they might be, are NEVER as bad as not having enough.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

I just dump in 1.5 qts and go ride.
My buddy gets anal about it and spends 2 hours adjusting his level to run at the top of the dipstick.

• djo269

Posted August 17, 2005 - 10:02 PM

I was just concerned to find out if this was an isolated thing or does everyone's dipstick read like mine does? Thanks for the help guys(and girls if you are)!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Anssi

Posted August 18, 2005 - 04:08 AM

I measure at the track when I have ridden the bike some. If I put in the recommended 1.1 liters when changing the filter, the oil level is right at the top of the dipstick.

• Wideopen24_7

Posted August 18, 2005 - 05:53 AM

Just dump in 1.5 quarts, ride it, and put it up. If there is no oil sitting on the garage floor and it doesn't smoke then your oil level is fine. That is the only two places the oil can go.

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Remember, your bike is a Dry Sump system. Oil isn't stored in the engine, so increasing the oil charge does not raise the oil level in the cranckcase at all UNTIL you put so much in it that when the return pump sends it up to the tank, it no longer all fits there. It takes about two full quarts to arrive at that point with a YZF, though, so you needn't worry too much.

Posted August 18, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Wow, thanks guys. Useful info! :D

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 18, 2005 - 01:20 PM

Yes they are sure, : warm your bike up and you will see the oil at normal operating level. :D

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.