i busted some teeth

28 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:41 AM

If you use the right lube, you don't have to clean the chain, ever.
It will get a little 'dirty', but it won't hurt a thing.

Honda red can.

• TimBrp

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:36 AM

IMO, chain lube is the worst thing for a bike. Attracts dirt and debris. I use some WD-40(heavily) with a scrub brush after I wash the bike and apply a small amount before a ride and this current chain I have (DID VM) has outlasted the one I had last year, using chain wax/lube.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:53 AM

IMO, chain lube is the worst thing for a bike. Attracts dirt and debris. I use some WD-40

Yep, me too. I take people riding for a living and a lot think I'm crazy for not liking chain lube.
Buy quality chains and wd 'em after washing and parts last long.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:17 AM

So what sprocket won't wear the countershaft? Because i just ordered a 15 T steel sprocket and don't want any slippage on the counter....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaBoundMoto

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:59 AM

So what sprocket won't wear the countershaft? Because i just ordered a 15 T steel sprocket and don't want any slippage on the counter....

You have a 650R, I wouldn't worry about it on the R. I've yet to see a worn shaft on a 650R but have seen plenty with 600Rs.

I was just reading back thru all the comments.....this has been a pretty amusing thread....

"The hooking of the teeth should have been a clue.......And after that your installing a cheap chain..."
"yeah, that worn-out sprocket didnt happen overnight ... lil maintenance now and then"

......amen!

"80% as long is the better deal......and its all about how u take care of it....."
"45 insted of 48 wont change it tooo much."
"1 up in the front wont change it all to much......when im accelerating the wheel is usually spinnin......."

Profound statements coming from "wr450fyamaha"....

"i had to rebuild my xr600r just a few weeks ago. i was running jt sprockets and the front sprocket ate the counter shaft up pretty bad"
Ya know, before the 650Rs we ran a bunch of 600Rs and in the last years (maybe it was all '00 models) we had about 5 wear out the shaft within a year. We had been running JT fronts for years without a problem which led me to think that maybe Honda had a sub-standard batch of shafts. Then again, maybe the JTs were a bit to hard for a while.....I dunno.

"8000 miles and you never knew that there wasn't a master link? Did you ever clean your chain at all? You are the reason that I don't buy used bikes."
LOL, 10-4 on that!

"This is the dumbest thing I have heard you say, and that is saying something. I would try to explain it, but it would go over your head. Just take my advice and don't say this to anyone ever again."
LOLLOL you couldn't be more right!

Really, wr450fyamaha, there are a lot of smart guys on here with good info. You should read more and type/post pics less.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:11 AM

Like I said, honda red can.
dirt no stickee...

D

• justicedone

Posted September 30, 2005 - 02:19 PM

I just put my bike on the stand and spray the crap out of chain with WD40 after riding and washing. And give it another good blast before rides, works for me real well so far.

• Dual_Dog

Posted September 30, 2005 - 04:37 PM

IMO, chain lube is the worst thing for a bike. Attracts dirt and debris. I use some WD-40(heavily) with a scrub brush after I wash the bike and apply a small amount before a ride and this current chain I have (DID VM) has outlasted the one I had last year, using chain wax/lube.

I've also been converted to a non-chain lube/wax user. Gunks the crap of the chain, they're dirt magnets and the links are always kinked 'cause they're so sticky. :banghead:

Tri-Flow is the way to go. It's got teflon in it for smooth rollin'. :applause: Plus it smells better than WDeek! :lol: Does fling off a bit if you over do it. Cleans off easily though with WD or with water & Simple G.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:34 PM

I just use the left over engine oil from an oil change to lube my chain :applause:

You have a 650R, I wouldn't worry about it on the R. I've yet to see a worn shaft on a 650R but have seen plenty with 600Rs.

Ok, that sounds about right because i use to have a 94 XR600R and that thing would slip like crazy on the countershaft and that was annoying as :banghead:.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.