new stator a wise decison?

10 replies to this topic
  • simple1

Posted August 17, 2005 - 06:10 PM

Hey folks i'm running a 92 xr600 w/baja dualsport kit(plated)and have been having troubles with lights,brake lights and signals.
I havent yet put the multitester to use ,but, i seem to not hold or get any charge into the small 8 pack ni-mh pack to really sustain anything.I get some, but way not enough. :D
Any tips.
I am thinking about buying a 200 watt ricky stator to maybe cure my problems.
Any tips on this and the new stator.my clutch spring seems to leak pretty badly when running, so i can replace the bearing and seal at this time as well ,right?
cheers for beers.

• XR250rdr

Posted August 17, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Its definitely possible to rewind the stock stator, but comparing the headaches involved with the price of a Ricky Stator its a close decision for me. Rewinding will run ~$25 for magnet wire and 3M 2216 epoxy. Its a bit of a chore though and you need to be able to solder too.

Upgrading the stator definitely will cure your voltage drop problems.

• Moredesert

Posted August 19, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Your stock stator will put out 50 watts at best. I had the same problem with my 600 and 650. I did a rewind myself not going full bore and now I can run a 85 watt front light no problem and still charge the battery. If you own a Honda you'll need to up-grade your stator. My DRZ is sweet with a stock 200 watt stator. :D

• oldturtle

Posted August 19, 2005 - 05:21 PM

I originally installed a Baja Designs dual sport kit on my 650R and then one year later I had Baja Designs rewind stator because I needed brighter lights and electric vest power. The nice thing about having Baja Designs do the rewind is that everything will plug right into the original Baja Designs setup with no wire harness modifications.

• don87xr600

Posted August 19, 2005 - 05:34 PM

There are two wires from the stator. The stator output is AC, you can even plug the wires in backwards and it still works. Any companies stator will work, and throw away that battery and get a battery eliminator.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Husky_Forever

Posted August 19, 2005 - 05:55 PM

A buddy of mine that reads this almost everyday has a BD kit on his 02 650R. He bought a Stator, 200 watt rewound stator this past year and it plugged right in to the BD wiring. He is now running an HID number plate light that he made from parts himself using the BD headlight assembely and a glass lens. :D Steny

• simple1

Posted August 22, 2005 - 09:08 PM

Hey don what is the battery eliminator?
What's the function,size,plugs in how? ,all that good stuff.
I heard and read of people putting in the bigger stators and blowing bulb's and such.shed some light anyone?no pun intended.
cheers.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 22, 2005 - 10:02 PM

The nice thing about the BD rewind, it's warranteed as long as you own the bike.

• khelton

Posted August 23, 2005 - 04:22 AM

Bopught a Rickey Stator myself, puts out a lotta watts, quick to ship, a few bucks cheaper than the BD too...

• don87xr600

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:21 AM

Hey don what is the battery eliminator?
What's the function,size,plugs in how? ,all that good stuff.
I heard and read of people putting in the bigger stators and blowing bulb's and such.shed some light anyone?no pun intended.
cheers.

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=139

If you're blowing bulbs your regulator is bad.

• bigboredbiker

Posted August 24, 2005 - 03:40 AM

Ever considered the LED lighting kits? They take less than 10% of the current needed for incandescent bulbs.....I'm building a rear light kit now, but they are available from bike stores, at least in UK anyway. The good thing about LED is that they are completely vibration proof, so no more bulbs shaken to bits!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.