250 or 450?? (advice needed on re-occurring question)

31 replies to this topic
  • TwoBobRob

Posted August 18, 2005 - 03:13 PM

OK then, stick to your first instinct and go blue. You won't be disappointed in the 450, it's a great bike. :D

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 18, 2005 - 09:55 PM

Thanks. I went to the dealer today. All they had were 05 hondas that they were unloading. According to them, the Yamaha's did not sell too well. Apparently, the fact that the 05 wr250 is red stickered basically hurt the sales of the wr450 as well. People like having choices and with Yamaha, they don't.

They expect that to change a lot for 06.

They also told me that the valve problems on the 450x was solved. At that point, he was sounding like a salesman and I had to leave.

Since I am in Los Angeles, I need to shop around.

Thanks for the help

• RC81

Posted August 18, 2005 - 10:35 PM

Up here in the Bay Area a couple of dealers I called had sold out of their 05s. This was about a month ago when I bought mine. I was in your shoes before I bought my WR, debating between Yamaha and KTM. For me the choice came down to dealer proximity and price. There are about 5 Yamaha dealers close by and only one KTM. I got mine for $6499 otd and feel I got a good deal. I also read the major dirt bike magazines tests and the Yamaha either came in first or second in all of them. You cant go wrong with either but I am happy with my choice and I was coming off a newer YZ250. Good luck on your decision.

• Gadsen

Posted August 19, 2005 - 11:53 AM

450 you'll throw rocks at the 250's, literally too! :D

• hawkce541

Posted August 20, 2005 - 05:17 AM

I have been riding a friends CRF450, and it makes me nervous. :D I just bought a WR450 last Fri. and rode it on a 2mile track on Sat. Man talk about a Cadillac. It's smooth with enough power, which you can tweak to run like a YZ, and you think about turning and you're around the corner. I love it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 20, 2005 - 07:44 AM

Yes.... I will be looking at the Yamaha's. However, if I can negotiate a good deal on the honda (and if the valve problem has really been solved) I would make that deal also.

Either bike would be good enough for me. I am a pretty good rider, but not as good as the buys reviewing. But, bigger is definitely better.

Is there a difference between the 05 and 06 wr450's. I bet I will get a good cash deal on an 05' next month when the 06's hit the floor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jtrone

Posted August 22, 2005 - 06:34 PM

I have had my WR-250F for over a year and at times I feel that I could use some more power. The only conceren I have about getting a WR-450F next year is that I have heard that it can be a handful on tight trails. What do you guys think? :D

• dman450f

Posted August 22, 2005 - 06:50 PM

maybe I dont know any better, its the first real dirt bike that I have owned,but my wr450 is an awsome bike,I cant imagine what they could do to make it any better....I have ridden many other bikes....get one soon....

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 23, 2005 - 02:03 PM

Yes, I will get one soon. I am hoping that I would find a used one somewhere. I am a patient shopper who likes a good deal as much as I like a good day in the dirt.

However, my patience has limits and I am itching to get something soon. The TTR225 that I am currently riding is really boring me. But as it stands, my riding buddies are my 9 and 11 year old daughters.

If and when that changes, which means I need someone to ride with, I will be executing the purchase asap. My CFO has already approved the purchase (I think????)

• rtrolli69

Posted August 23, 2005 - 05:11 PM

Well I would recommend the 450 not just because thats what im riding,butyou explained yourself and what you want out of the bike.The weight of the bike isnt an issue if your riding that steet bike the 450 will still feel light to you.At times you ride slow & easy with your girls as I do with my young daughter on a 4wheeler.the 450 will just creep if you want.Start out stock except throttle stop.I have just returned after a 9year detour,which previously raced CR250's.the WR450 is tame stock,it does amaze me now with the do it your self & bolt on mods how this thing can breathe fire!!Good advice do mods as you feel needed.A friend has a WR250 he always rides smaller cc bikes after I rode it we agreed good bike just ride very agressive.The 450 will spoil you you do get lazy,but when you ride with your buddies & get in tough or bad situations the 450 will bail you out...Sorry so long...hope this helps..Russ

• rtrolli69

Posted August 23, 2005 - 06:02 PM

Well I would recommend the 450 not just because thats what im riding,butyou explained yourself and what you want out of the bike.The weight of the bike isnt an issue if your riding that steet bike the 450 will still feel light to you.At times you ride slow & easy with your girls as I do with my young daughter on a 4wheeler.the 450 will just creep if you want.Start out stock except throttle stop.I have just returned after a 9year detour,which previously raced CR250's.the WR450 is tame stock,it does amaze me now with the do it your self & bolt on mods how this thing can breathe fire!!Good advice do mods as you feel needed.A friend has a WR250 he always rides smaller cc bikes after I rode it we agreed good bike just ride very agressive.The 450 will spoil you you do get lazy,but when you ride with your buddies & get in tough or bad situations the 450 will bail you out...Sorry so long...hope this helps..Russ

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 24, 2005 - 09:06 AM

Thanks RUSS. I am going to look at a couple of bikes today. I think you are on point in that I want to be able to creep along the trails. However, I also want a little bit of the fire breathing !

After riding the big beemer all of the time, I don't think anything will really seem heavy to me.

THanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.