new/used bike issues

No replies to this topic
  • roostmonster

Posted August 17, 2005 - 02:31 PM

I bought a 99 YZF 400 in april. This is the first bike I have owned since the early 80's. This is my first 4 stroke. I have read and read the threads on here and have gained alot of valuable information. I have one question that is bothering me. The previous owner said, "it is a great machine. and has all the mods available done to it." I thought to my self, "ok." Not knowing what the hell he was talking about I was just happy my wife would let me ride again. :D Anyways, after reading as much as I could on Thumper Talk, I have found that I am having a problem with the "bog" that alot of folks talk about with the YZF's. The bike has a powercore 4 pipe on it. I would like to think that the previous owner would have rejetted the bike for the new pipe but I am not sure. When I got the bike he had a fresh plug in it. I rode it around for awhile...GOOD TIMES......... :D and then pulled the plug. It was a light brown and the bike seemed to run great. I am running 93 octane gas and live in San Antonio, Texas. I have put maybe 6 or 7 hours on it and I replaced the clutch and throttle cables and decided to check the plug while I was in there and it was BLACK. Not sooty just BLACK. Is there a way to tell if the bike has the correct jets that, as I was told, come with the new pipe when it is bought. I would really like to think that maybe it is something simple to fix/replace. Sorry for the long thread but I really like this bike and really enjoy doing the mechanic work myself so I try and learn as much as I can. Any help is greatly appreciated......

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.