foam tubes

5 replies to this topic
  • mexihonkey

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:53 PM

I figured this may be a good forum to ask this (I have searched, but no definitive info). Anyone here who has used foam tubes in long races?
What is your suggestion -
Front or Front/Rear?
Brand?
Tricks to make them work well?
Not worried about how hard they are to mount and if they don't feel like regualar tubes. Just want to know if they hold up, don't melt etc.
Thanks

• mikekay

Posted August 16, 2005 - 06:26 PM

i've done 4-5 big races with them....

So far--they hold up great!

they are not cheap--but most likely you can get 1000 miles on a set with lots of hard slammin'---more on lighter bikes.

personally i hardly notice any different feel--if anything they give better traction--its sort of like running on 8-10 lbs or air--so they grip better.

they say rims get tweaked easier--but that hasnt been an issue for me so far.

secret to running them is to put lots of lube on the foam--usually there is a tube in the package.

I have used both the foam with the little tube insert (now discontinued i think) as well as the Michelin Mousse-i prefer the Michelin set up--plus i think thats the only one now on the market? not sure.

All in all i really recommend them and for a big race like Baja or BITD its not a bad way to go.

The technolgy on the foam has improved in recent years--so if you hear bad stuff just ask when was the last time they used them...not saying they dont disintegrate (KTM at Baja 1000!) but for me they have worked great.

For sure i wont be racing the bigger races without them.

I get about 250 miles per rear tire and have not had trouble recycling them thru 3-4 rear tires...about the same for the front.

hope that helps. where you going?

• mexihonkey

Posted August 16, 2005 - 06:49 PM

Great, that was just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Do get 1000 miles out of the rear as well as the front? My biggest concern was melting a rear.

Just trying to learn a little more about set-up for longer desert races. Planning on th V-R this year then hopefully 1 or 2 Score Races next year, or as far as the budget allows.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaBoundMoto

Posted August 16, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Your sucess with solid foam tubes kinda depends on the speeds and your bike.
A light 2T bike, slower speeds, and being easy on them will allow the Mousse's to last longer than an open class 4T, high speeds, and hammering the crap out of rocks.

Rear Mousse's still do melt with heavy bikes and high speeds.
There's no way I'd run a V2R or Baja race with a Mousse in the rear of anything bigger than a 250 2-stroke.
Front Mousses don't last super long, they breakdown.

For the front (and maybe rear depending on bike) why not go with the Tire Balls? So far Tire Balls have proven to last indefinately. In the kit from TB you get extra balls to replace pinched ones. It's super easy to change 'em. Tire Balls are also similar weight to a standard tube where as Mousse's are pretty heavy. TB's also won't give you that 'dead' feeling when hitting things because they actually have rebound.

• brrpr

Posted August 18, 2005 - 05:15 PM

Your sucess with solid foam tubes kinda depends on the speeds and your bike.
A light 2T bike, slower speeds, and being easy on them will allow the Mousse's to last longer than an open class 4T, high speeds, and hammering the crap out of rocks.

I totally agree--

Rear Mousse's still do melt with heavy bikes and high speeds.
There's no way I'd run a V2R or Baja race with a Mousse in the rear of anything bigger than a 250 2-stroke.

OK...we saw that with KTM in Baja--they melted mulitple mousses-but team KTM will race the dakar rallye with them on 400lb bikes! they do melt some in dakar--but still --- it seems odd to me. Heres my pure speculation on that:
When i asked dakar vet friends about mousses melting they said its all about the heat thats generated....and according to Michelin--putting the goop on and on the right way is critical to assuring they dont get friction/heat and then melt. Mine have done many 100's of miles at high speed without issues in Nevada and Baja--i goop the heck out of them...i had mine mounted at a shop that mounts many of them (including a certain orange team)--they didnt know how to goop them correctly!!! I cant help but wonder if their isnt something to that. maybe i am just lucky so far--i'm no team KTM guy--but are they really that much harder/faster (well yeah they are but...)---for whatever reason my mousses dont melt or show any evidence of melting. KTM averages 60mph-we are in the low 50's? Is that enough of a difference? I think theres something else going on-like alien invaders--HEY-- why are you still reading this?

Front Mousses don't last super long, they breakdown.

I agree. 1000 miles is MAX for the front. you can feel them start to get soft--its not catastrophic. it just slowly gets a little more mushy.

For the front (and maybe rear depending on bike) why not go with the Tire Balls? So far Tire Balls have proven to last indefinately. In the kit from TB you get extra balls to replace pinched ones. It's super easy to change 'em. Tire Balls are also similar weight to a standard tube where as Mousse's are pretty heavy. TB's also won't give you that 'dead' feeling when hitting things because they actually have rebound.

I've never used them--but there are cases where the balls went flat--and then started to destruct the other balls. I know of two instances where they have failed--there are rumors of others...but i really dont have direct experience with them. for sure would be worth considering...

Point is--there are trade offs for all this stuff. It takes some testing--and it changes lots of things....i personally like the fact i can now run an MX front tire with superior grip--where before the weak carcass wasnt up baja standards--but with the mousse it is....so there are all kinds of un-intended things that are affected....you might want to change the amount of oil in your front forks also if you go with non-air.

I find the wheels with mousses are not heavier than the air. not sure how the tire balls weigh in?

finally figured out how to break up a quote into seperate questions... :D

• TimBrp

Posted August 19, 2005 - 03:13 AM

I have one in my husky wr250. I like the fact I dont' have to worry about flats in the rocks but it does get very squirrelly in the hard terrain. I'm going back to a tube soon.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.