02 YZ250F to 450F - Testimonials?

7 replies to this topic
  • cdntanker

Posted August 16, 2005 - 11:56 AM

OK, I've done the search and found a wide variety of opinions, guesses and comments, but what I'd like to hear is from some folks that have made this change in bikes. I've got an incredible 02 YZ250F, with the 03 Cam and a Dr D system and some incredible suspension work that ticks like a clock and is by far the most reliable bike I've ever owned. I love riding this bike.

The problem is, as I'm getting older, I'm suffering from an unusual afflication that has my slowly transforming into a pear shaped blob, and at 6ft tall and 210lbs, the 250F is working way too hard to get my butt up an over many of the jumps so I'm considering a move to the YZ450F, and I've got a line on a great deal for an 04. I'm curious what the real weight difference is between the bikes (wet, gassed and ready to roll), and what other key things you noticed when you made a similar jump from the tiddler to the large thumper. I'm a Vet B rider and ride only MX.

Comments or opinions from those that have done this would be appreciated. Did you notice a big difference in the weight, the suspension, the raw hit of the power?

Thanks for your feedback

• yamrider22

Posted August 16, 2005 - 07:10 PM

I don't really know how I should answer this but I will give it a try. I have both a '03 450F and a '03 250 and I really like them both. The biggest difference is that I can ride the 250F harder for longer without getting as tired. Conversely however, there is nothing like the pure grunt of the 450 for clearing obstacles (which is your concern). At most of the tracks I go to, I can usually come to a complete stop before an obstacle then take a run at it and with a blip of the throttle clear the obstacle. Whereas on the 250 F that would not be possible due to the lack of torque as compared to a 450.

I am of a similar size to you but a little lighter (6' 195 lbs.). They both have their advantages and disadvantages, as all bikes do. You have tried the 250F for a long time, now give the 450 a try. You will not regret it.

• Yz4-me

Posted August 16, 2005 - 09:07 PM

I had a YZ250F a year before I got my YZ450F (went to quads for a year), I ride track and trail, and as long as your on the track the 450 is the way to go, if you ever get back on a 250F after the 450F you will be disgusted by the lack of power. I was. It may not be as light feeling but thats the price you pay, but its not like you are a small guy, so it shouldnt be a problem.

• cdntanker

Posted August 17, 2005 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the reply gents. As I originally said, I am incredibly happy with my 250F, the bike has been great fun to ride and incredibly reliable. Most of the tracks I ride have alot of jumps/doubles right out of turns and even though I'm geared 13/50, I still have trouble getting the bike wound up enough to carry the speed I need to clear the jumps. I can and am doing it, but what I've noticed is while I'm wringing the bike out in 3rd to get over a double, the guy on the face with me on his 450F sounds l like he's just idling up the face with a quick blip to clear the obstacle.

I like the advantage I get from having a lighter bike, especially when flinging it around tight corners, but as you can see from my original comments, I think with the weight reductions on the 450F I may have lost even that advantage. My 02 250F has to be sitting wet weight right around where the 05 450F is with all the recent weight reductions, isnt that right?

If so, the "weight" of the 450F shouldnt be an issue for me, just coming to grips with the power, which is something I need.

Really hate to consider getting rid of a bike thats been so good to me, but I'm feeling the need for the power the 450 can provide a big guy like myself.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MisterMan

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Theres a guy from a popular spot here in Visalia (now illegal) but he has a 450 04 and its a killer. He's not the most smallest guys but he whips all of our asses on thoes whoops and it the tight trails. hahahaha ( his name is fediricco from portaricco, *fed-a-reak-o* from *port-a-reak-o*. :D

• Dano426

Posted August 17, 2005 - 10:51 AM

I like the advantage I get from having a lighter bike, especially when flinging it around tight corners, but as you can see from my original comments, I think with the weight reductions on the 450F I may have lost even that advantage. My 02 250F has to be sitting wet weight right around where the 05 450F is with all the recent weight reductions, isnt that right?

If so, the "weight" of the 450F shouldn't be an issue for me, just coming to grips with the power, which is something I need.

Really hate to consider getting rid of a bike thats been so good to me, but I'm feeling the need for the power the 450 can provide a big guy like myself.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Cheers

I am on the other side of the fence from you cdntanker

I am also a vet MXer 6' - 200 lbs. I have been riding a 01 YZ426 for the past 4 years and have found my self wondering how much different a 250F would to ride. I usually ride a few small and tight tracks and tight trails. I installed a z-start auto clutch and that works wonderful for the trails, but it just doesn't seem to work out for me on the track Way to heavy in the corners.

I recently found a great deal on a nearly stock 02 250F. I love that way I can cut through the woods and it is as light as a kite.... I can ride on the track for a much longer time and not get so tired, but like you am missing a little more power in the corners. Now that the 426 has been sitting in the garage for a few weeks. I would never go back to a 426, the 250F is just more fun to ride. A 450 on a large open track maybe????

I have both bikes and my plan is to sell the 426 and later next year let eric gorr put a 262 kit in it with a new set a valves etc... Then I think I will be in heaven.

I would ride a 450 before you purchase one..... and don't be to fast to give up a good thing. My $.02

• djo269

Posted August 17, 2005 - 10:21 PM

Speaking from experience, cause I just came off a 02' yz250f to a 03' yz450f within the last month, is that the only place you will notice the extra heft of the 450 is when you are loading and unloading the bike on a centerstand or in the back of your truck. Otherwise when riding, the 450 actually feels more "flickable" but with power to make you wanna have a shit-eatin grin everytime you ride or think about riding(it).lol You should get either a 03 or 04 yz450. The 05's have that CRF smoothness that magazine test riders like. I dont but whatever stiffens your willy.lol I still have my 02 yz250f cause I like you cannot part from it. I love my 250f.

• skin290

Posted August 18, 2005 - 04:47 AM

I did the exact same thing as djo--and I love the 450! I think it really depends on howw long you have been riding a tiddler and how good you are. Since you are a B rider, I am sure you will have no problems adjusting, I am a C rider, but have been riding 125/250F for 8 years and had not much problem adjusting to the 450, it feels (to me) like my 250F on steriods: same power-type just a lot more of it. Ride it first, and see if you like it, I was in the same boat as far as not being able to clear stuff clean, and I weigh 180. I don't notice the weight at all, but the 03 susp. is not as good as my 02 250F's either, so you might want to consider a revalve/mod to it, it is a little harsher. I can get my bike revalved front and rear by a suspension place near me for $300, (which I have on my 250F), so I might do that as well. The 450 makes jumping so much easier, the only problem I had was stalling it on our really tight SX track, but that was the 2nd time I had rode it, and the next time I was on that track, it did fine.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.