Kayaba SSS

9 replies to this topic
  • Dolce_Grappa

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:53 AM

I notice recently that Yamaha is going to put SSS Kayaba's on their '06 YZ's. What does SSS stand for and what makes them different from the AOS?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:52 PM

sss= speed sensitive suspension
not sure what this means other than the valving /oiling is probably controlled by the compression/rebound speed

• SC_Spode

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:07 PM

I notice recently that Yamaha is going to put SSS Kayaba's on their '06 YZ's. What does SSS stand for and what makes them different from the AOS?

Thanks

The 2005 YZ KYB's had a plastic oil lock chamber in the lower leg - that is considered position sensitive damping. Apparently, the '06 forks are using an upper bleed similar to the Showa's that is speed sensitive.

I'm not really concerned with what the Marketing guys print up, I want to see the legs on these bikes get better and better! :D

:D

• couchrider

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:14 AM

The 2005 YZ KYB's had a plastic oil lock chamber in the lower leg - that is considered position sensitive damping. Apparently, the '06 forks are using an upper bleed similar to the Showa's that is speed sensitive

SC_Spode or anyone> the bleed system on the showa's that you talk of. can you direct me or discribe were to look for this bleed . I am going to repace my fork seals today for the first time. Since I am in there I would like to take a peak to see what your are talking of. :D

• bedell99

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:48 AM

Its the collar at the top of the spring, it has holes drilled in.

Erik

• couchrider

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:56 AM

I just looked at what you described are you talking about the spring perch that the spring rest on at the top.. wow that is some big holes if thats what we are talking about. with those big holes how is this speed sensitive.

• SC_Spode

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:35 AM

I just looked at what you described are you talking about the spring perch that the spring rest on at the top.. wow that is some big holes if thats what we are talking about. with those big holes how is this speed sensitive.

With a Newtonian fluid, which is what I believe most suspension fluids are, the resistance is speed sensitive by nature.

Ever try to slam a screen or storm door with the dampers on them? The faster you move it the more it resists.

• couchrider

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

Which is a better design on the showas the honda SSS or the Suzuki style ( Spring perch tube with the holes in it) Is this why the Suzuki's has a plusher feel ?

• DaveJ

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

This is what Yamaha says.

Speed-Sensitive System 48mm Kayaba fork move the TCV (transfer control valves) above the fork springs, so that damping force is now controlled by piston speed; that prevents mid-stroke damping force changes, for a smoother, more precise ride.

Which means nothing.

Here's a photo.

Posted Image

In opinion, this isn't anything new other than KYB fixing their earlier mistakes. Or trying to. I mean, all forks and shocks are "sensitive" to rod speed, obviously. So what are they building on?

With that, nothing will really take me by surprise until they start to look at rod position and bike speed. Then we might have something.

DaveJ

• kelstr

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:26 AM

This is what Yamaha says.

Which means nothing.

Here's a photo.

Posted Image

In opinion, this isn't anything new other than KYB fixing their earlier mistakes. Or trying to. I mean, all forks and shocks are "sensitive" to rod speed, obviously. So what are they building on?

What that, nothing will really take me by surprise until they start to look at rod position and bike speed. Then we might have something.

DaveJ

Dave is correct.
they screwed up badly on the first 05 tc kyb ,
and now they are trying some different language to sell bikes,
and hopfully made the new fork work and move better ( it sure looks good, it has more possibility's, and the bike feels way better with the new designs )

(06 yz 250 )

this is not new its just marketing .

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.