Dealer has an "03 WR450 in the crate

30 replies to this topic
  • mjskier

Posted August 17, 2005 - 08:32 AM

So I went to the dealer last night..... He agreed on 4000.00 for the '03...

I whished I had a dealer like yours in my area. One of the local place had a used '03. He wouldn't go below $3750 for it. And that's with a bashed (and leaking) right radiator, and no starter upgrade.
And the yamaha dealer quoted me $4000 for a used '02 (same guy who quoted me $1000 for a used PW80 when a new one is $1200 or so). I didn't even bother trying to haggle.

bruno.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 17, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Save the $2000 for buying the aftermarket parts that you're going to need (or want).

Skidplate, radiator guards, hand guards, exhaust, jet kit, rekluse clutch....

• Koko

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:03 AM

I'd go with the 03. Granted I'm a newbie, but $2000 is A LOT of upgrade money.

• anvilair

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:25 AM

I whished I had a dealer like yours in my area. One of the local place had a used '03. He wouldn't go below $3750 for it. And that's with a bashed (and leaking) right radiator, and no starter upgrade.
And the yamaha dealer quoted me $4000 for a used '02 (same guy who quoted me $1000 for a used PW80 when a new one is $1200 or so). I didn't even bother trying to haggle.

bruno.

I have bought several street bikes from this dealer in the past and it has always been a pleasure to deal with them. They do a huge volume so they do not bs on their prices. They usually do not even argue with you as long as the offer is reasonable. Once this sale is a done deal, and I am happy, I will surely start another thread on who the dealer is! :D
They have yet to let me down!
Their service and parts departments are awesome as well! Every guy in there is in to some form of racing or riding so there is a ton of knowledge to be found there as well.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:42 AM

Will you keep the bike forever or sell in a few years? 05 will resale better.

Remember, 05 is a different bike. Improved frame geometry that lowers cg significantly. I suggest you ride both and decide.

The $2000 difference is not just new/revised/improved parts. Again, 05 is a different animal than 03. Totally different fork too if I recall. 48mm instead of 46 I think?

Either deal is fair and reasonable. Get the one that you feel is best for you. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • old man dan

Posted August 17, 2005 - 11:08 AM

I just bought an 05 after trying an 03 first. Very different machine. Height, width, weight, mechanical differences. Buy the 05 and enjoy.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 17, 2005 - 02:06 PM

I forgot to mention this- 05 has Renthals, slimmer tank, slimmer tank shroud, and various weight shaving measures.

• dman450f

Posted August 17, 2005 - 04:45 PM

you must understand,the 03 wont be the 05 no matter how much you spend on it!!!almost everything has been improved!!!!dont do it!!! just my opinion...see ya!

• wnbecker

Posted August 19, 2005 - 02:42 PM

The '03 has a smaller diameter shaft on the left side of the crankshaft, same as '98 - '02. When the electric start was added for '03 it was shearing the flywheel key on some of them. The lapping of the shaft/flywheel and replacing the starter motor gears from the '04 are improvements, however in my opinon the real fix came in '04 with a larger diameter shaft, this provides more surface contact area in the critical point of attachment/mating of the flywheel and shaft. The starter motor imparts a lot of torque to this. Plus the '05 is a much better handling bike although all the WRs handle pretty well. I've had a '98, '02 and now an '05. Also have an '05 YZ250F and a KTM '05/'06 250SXF (very sweet!!!).

The older I get the better I was.

• old man dan

Posted August 19, 2005 - 07:54 PM

let us all know what your final decision was.

• Stinson

Posted August 20, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Man 4gs for a new 03 I'd be all over that.....I loved my 03 Thats what I paid for mine used, less than 1 year ago. Cya Stinson

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.