Help a newbie/Protection?

12 replies to this topic
  • Ward

Posted March 14, 2001 - 12:32 AM

I haven’t had a dirt bike for years and recently bought a y2k WR400FM. I believe I have a good start on what gear I need for protection; I bought Alpinestars boots, some Belstaff gloves and a Bell Moto 6 helmet.
Would someone be so kind and share any ideas on what a newbie might need for personal protection along with an Internet site where items can be purchased for a reasonable price. Information on a good skid plate for the WR400 would be appreciated too. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

• Sandracer_uk

Posted March 14, 2001 - 01:32 AM

chest protector,,
knee braces [ at the very least knee pads ]
body/kidny belt,,
elbow pads,,

• Andrew_in_OZ

Posted March 14, 2001 - 04:08 AM

Down here in Australia we just wear a condom! :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 14, 2001 - 04:23 AM

I get alot of gear from www.mawonline.com

• mcarp

Posted March 14, 2001 - 06:36 AM

What about goggles? Next thing to get is a kidney belt and knee pads. I don't like chest protectors, but I don't get roosted too much to wish I had one. Also, they feel "in the way" to me.

I use the EVS ballistic shok blok jersey-integrated kidney belt, back (lower and upper), chest, elbow, shoulder pads on a mesh jersey. They don't stop all the roost from pelting your chest, but in a light-medium duty fall it does work very well. Mine has been holding out with only 1 tear for 4 years :) About $120 I think.

Yep, MAW is a good place to buy online. Just make sure you research for price like anything else.

• bobwombat

Posted March 14, 2001 - 06:51 AM

ward, i also like elbow pads. if u subscribe to the need for knee pads (i do), then u'll need elbow pads for the same reason. no sense saving the knee caps if u crack the elbows instead!. ride safely! bobwombat

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BruceWA

Posted March 14, 2001 - 07:30 AM

Now, there's a sight. An Australian on his WR wearing nothing but a condom!! :)

• Ward

Posted March 14, 2001 - 12:36 PM

I do get excited riding my new WR400, sad to say not in the same way as Andrew in OZ though. Would Andrew be the guy to ask if I have a question on needle jets or cleaning my motorcycle? Kidding Andrew, thanks for the laugh. Seriously I do appreciate the wealth of information this Bulletin Board provides and thank you all for your contributions and assistance.
Ward

• JamesD

Posted March 14, 2001 - 07:08 PM

Wear shorts and a tanktop. Real men don't need protection (except for a condom).

Actually it depends on what your going to be doing. For example, chest protectors are great if you have to follow someone but for slow trail riding by yourself they wont do a lot.

Unless you have a bad knee I'd skip knee braces myself.

Beyond that the big question is how good are you and how fast do you ride? Where do you ride? If you ride in really rocky terrain the knee and elbow pads will pay for themselves the first time you wreck. If you're in sandy or soft soil why bother?

• darbsitton

Posted March 14, 2001 - 08:35 PM

Get a camelback. You will drink much more water, not fatigue as quickly and be less likely to crash!!!

Ok, so it's a stretch for protective gear, but I still recommend it.

• Sandracer_uk

Posted March 15, 2001 - 12:07 AM

i think James D's post shud read,,,,
''unless you want bad knees get a knee brace''...
they are a hell of a price,, but if youve ever torn knee ligaments or smashed a knee cap they dont seem to costly,,,
i tore ligaments in my knee in a silly little get off about a year ago,
still hurts now,
think long and hard about buying things that make your bike go faster/look better, above protective gear.
as an old bloke [31 haha] i hate pain,
garenteed if u dont wear elbow pads your'll land on your elbows,, forget your knee pads/braces,,, yourll land on your knees etc etc,,
not sure this law applys to not wearing a condom tho

• Bill

Posted March 15, 2001 - 03:51 AM

After crashing hard and landing on my back. I bought a chest protector. I would advise the same for all riders, spinal injuries or a broken rib in your back are not good :)

Mike is right, chest protectors are cumbersome. I hated mine at first, but after spending the money I did, I was determined to use it. After a few rides, I don't even notice I have it on.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• BRIAN400

Posted March 15, 2001 - 09:51 AM

I WOULD DIFFINATELY GET KNEE PADS AND ELBOW PADS. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THE CHEST PROTECTOR ISN'T EVEN AN OPTION....THESE THINGS COULD LITTERALLY SAVE YOUR LIFE. GETTING ROOSTED MIGHT BE EMBARASSING BUT GETTING LANCED BY A SHEARED OFF SAPPLING IS LEATHAL. TAKE IN THE FACT THAT YOU CAN LIVE WITH A BUSTED ELBOW NOT A BROKE RIB THRUOGH YOUR HEART OR A TEAR IN A MAJOR BLOOD VESSEL. I RECOMEND IT FOR ALL TYPES OF RIDING BECAUSE EVEN YOUR HANDLE BARS COULD CAUSE A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION IF YOU IMPALE YOURSELF ON THEM.
HELMET, GLOVES, GOGGLES, KNEE AND SHIN GUARDS, ELBOW PADS, BOOTS AND CHEST PROTECTOR ARE THE BEST WAYS TO STAY HEALTHY AND HAVE FUN TOO. YOU WILL GET USED TO THE EQUIPMENT IN NO TIME AND THE FIRST TIME YOU FALL MIGHT HURT A BIT, BUT YOU WILL BE GREATFUL YOU HAD ON THE ARMOR.....I KNOW I WAS.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.