Scotts Stabilizer HELP!!!!

11 replies to this topic
  • 600ish

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:29 PM

Me and a friend are racing Vegas to Reno in Oct. and I am ready to order a Scotts stabilizer for his '01 650R and I see they have a very expensive front mount kit to make it easy to check the oil. How tough is it to check the oil with the standard mount. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm new to stabilizers, :D

• my98mugen

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:57 PM

Do you really wanna take the stabilizer off and the mount just to check the oil duing a race. Racing ain't cheap. Get the right mount.

• Supplicate

Posted August 16, 2005 - 02:41 AM

Get the right mount.

or do the oil sight tube mod.

• Mikie1

Posted August 16, 2005 - 08:38 AM

You can use a GPR front post/ tower. It's way cheaper than the Scotts.

• Moredesert

Posted August 16, 2005 - 11:43 AM

I went with the front mount and like it. It's strong and out of the way. You don't want to screw around with the dip stick mount. IMHO When you buy the kit make sure you move the bars as far forward as you can. I ran Pro-tapers and they are centered over the fork tubes. You can bearly see the position in the picture on my web site

• BWB63

Posted August 16, 2005 - 11:51 AM

I went with the post off the oil dip stick mount. I hate it! :D :D :eek: I have the oil site tube and I still hate taking it all apart for every oil change. :eek: :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikekay

Posted August 16, 2005 - 06:37 PM

i have an extra front mount (made by BRP). i switched to GPR on my 650 just so i could do an under the bars mount...i put the Scotts on my Husky.

make me a deal and its yours...

dont even think about running a rear mount on the pig.

• Desertskyy

Posted August 16, 2005 - 08:25 PM

I am running a BRP front mount and like it a lot. You just need to make sure that you keep some clearance behind the front plate/headlight area so the stabilizer shaft can go back and forth.

It sounds like Mikekay has what you want. Also BRP is great to deal with.

• DualSport650

Posted August 16, 2005 - 09:01 PM

Hey Mike Kay,

While we're on the subject.

I need a Scott's steeing stabilizer mount. From my old XR600 I have a Scott's stabilizer AND the aluminum mount that bolts the stabilizer on top the bar and onto the stock triple clamps. It's for stock bars (NOT the FAT Pro-Taper bars).

I think this will also fit my XR650R, but I need a bolt on tower (NOT the one that goes onto the oil filler hole).

Do you think yours may work?

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted August 17, 2005 - 07:55 AM

600ish - Go with the BajaD. sight tube and a forward mount for your Scotts. If you're ordering the whole kit from Scotts that makes it easy, less possibility of getting miss-matched parts.

Who else needs a forward mount for a 650R? M.K. and I both have extras.

>>M.K. and I both have extras<<
8/17/05 - forget I said that, my extra post is on it's way to "dualsport650"

• hill5150

Posted August 17, 2005 - 02:14 PM

Run The BRP setup forward mount tower, works awesome and the oil fill is accessible............... :D

• pearblossomal

Posted August 17, 2005 - 07:25 PM

Get the BRP fwd mount setup with the triple clamp that moves the bars 17MM forward. With a high oversize bar it will feel like a different bike. I'd go as far to say the bar reposition was a better mod than the addition of the damper. I've had dampers on many bikes, and on the BRP it's not a dramatic improvement because the bike is already pretty stable. But if you're racing you'll want it for rock-caused crash insurance.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.