Smoky old Honda

20 replies to this topic
  • terryrush57

Posted August 15, 2005 - 08:17 PM

I have an '83 Honda XL600R that I use for commuting, running errands and some fire-roading. When it's cold and first started, it produces great billowing clouds of blue smoke, especially when the oil tank is full to the top. I could swear that I read in one of the magazines some years ago that these bikes have a check valve in the oil system somewhere which can leak or go bad and cause this problem. My Clymer shop manual doesn't show it. I will be doing the top-end on the bike this winter and would like to fix this. Does anyone know about this valve, and where it might be?

• targetdrone

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:07 PM

Sounds like a bad valve stem seal.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 16, 2005 - 09:00 AM

sounds like u need a new one..................the thing is 22 years old.....ill be happy if mine just smokes a little when i start her in 15 more years.

• TimBrp

Posted August 16, 2005 - 11:45 AM

For once I'm going with wr450 on this one. Yeah it's an xr but christ man it's OLD. Your talking serious valve seal leakage(cold start blues) and probably some serious blow-by.

• smashinz2002

Posted August 16, 2005 - 08:38 PM

There is no so-called "valve" that is causing that. . The problem most likely is leaky valve stem oil seals. Since you say "when it's cold and first started", that pretty much says bad oil seals at the valve stems.
Good luck with your old XL, I have a friend who has an '86 model with around 8000 miles on it and it's been an unbelievably reliable bike, in 19 years he's never had any trouble with it.
L.L.

• truck6driver

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:58 AM

The valve you are talking about is on newer bikes with the frame as the oil tank. There is a check valve that keeps the oil from filling the crankcase too full. I think it started with the XR600R. It will not cause smoking unless it fills the crankcase full of oil causing it to push oil past the rings. However that would stop after the oil levels equaled out. Yours is not the case. Rebuild the engine.

2 Cents worth.

RH

• Mantrasonica

Posted August 17, 2005 - 10:14 AM

Don't listen to the people who say your bike is too old. Mine is old too and runs like a champ.

Time to get into that top-end

• Motosprtman

Posted August 17, 2005 - 11:39 AM

mine are older...and NONE of the old girls smoke.

1972 XL250 (2)
1974 and 1975 XL350
1975 XL125
1975 XL175
2005 XR650L

• TimBrp

Posted August 17, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Don't listen to the people who say your bike is too old. Mine is old too and runs like a champ.

Time to get into that top-end

Hey I'm not dissing this guys machine by any means. I was raised on early 80's xr and have a passion for them. Hence the two in my shed, fully restored. But for an early 80's engine to be untouched and someone have a question as to why it's smoking.....c'mon now.

• Supplicate

Posted August 17, 2005 - 11:54 AM

weren't there only XL/XR 500's back in 83 :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mantrasonica

Posted August 17, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Hey I'm not dissing this guys machine by any means. I was raised on early 80's xr and have a passion for them. Hence the two in my shed, fully restored. But for an early 80's engine to be untouched and someone have a question as to why it's smoking.....c'mon now.

Wasn't trying to bust anybody's chops, just trying to point the noob in the right direction. But then again, if he's thinking the problem lies in a check-valve, maybe a new bike is the the way to go. So maybe you're right :D

• pearblossomal

Posted August 17, 2005 - 07:01 PM

In '83 there was the XR500R (dirt) and XL600 (street legal), same basic RFVC motor design.

The check valve is in the oil pump. It's what keeps the oil in the frame (which is higher) from all running down into the cases when you kill the motor.

If you have a Clymer, it's on page 150 and 151. What you want to replace (maybe) is the oil stopper piece on the end, not the Alum valve itself.

Years ago, on my XR500R I replaced that at same time as the top end because it was tired. Piston, rings, Valve seals. Didn't help, on mine it must be valve guides. After wards it still smoked on startup (still does when I start it, got an XR650R now) but wouldn't need to add oil even on 1000 mile trips to Baja. My advice- If you don't have to add oil because it's low then just ride it and don't worry.

• terryrush57

Posted August 17, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, it's old, but it has been gone through a few times (I bought it when it was only a year old). Its got an XR600 rear shock, a nice big rear luggage rack, and some general jetting and fiddling. I have an XR250 for real trailriding (one doesn't need a whole lot of power for Nor-Cal woods riding) and a street bike, but my good old 600 is very handy and fun to ride, even though it's old enough to vote! Thanks again!

• grsmnky78

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:01 PM

Try running chevron Delo 15w-40 oil. I read a post that recommended it, I put it in my 86 xl600r and it pretty much all but quit smoking instantly. Good luck!

• brianhare

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:06 PM

Try running chevron Delo 15w-40 oil. I read a post that recommended it, I put it in my 86 xl600r and it pretty much all but quit smoking instantly. Good luck!

Did ya notice the date on the post you replied to:moon:

:ride:

Brian

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:39 PM

Did ya notice the date on the post you replied to:moon:

I would guess not....

• brianhare

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:48 PM

I would guess not....

Hey,,you trying to out do me...:D

:lol::ride:

There,i feel better..

:D

Brian

• infini

Posted February 19, 2010 - 08:01 PM

Greetings

Well I must say that this is a great site and I am greatful for helpful people. Even if it is a little late. But hey is there any truth to the Delo oil solution?

• ThumpNRed

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:09 PM

I guess I should be more patient when I ask questions here... sorry HT for pestering you for instant answers! :ride:
Henceforth, an answer within five years shall be considered timely :ride::lol:

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:16 PM

I guess I should be more patient when I ask questions here... sorry HT for pestering you for instant answers! :ride:
Henceforth, an answer within five years shall be considered timely :lol::lol:

Edited by HeadTrauma, February 20, 2010 - 08:12 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.