wash out how do i stop it ?

13 replies to this topic
  • dave-29

Posted August 15, 2005 - 02:59 PM

hi there i've had my wr450f for 4 weeks now and have fallen off about 10 times now all down to the front end washing out is there a way to make this better ?

• Matty05

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:07 PM

tyre pressures is one way, try going down to about 12psi from 15.
I bet your rear end has too much compression set on the shock, this transfers
all the weight forward. Set your sag too, it does make a difference.

The standard tyres that come on the wr are not agressive enough. Get a good set
of tyres to match where you ride. I personally like the Dunlop 952's. Great all round tyre.

• dave-29

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:28 PM

i know this may sound a bit thick but whats sag ?

• Matty05

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:46 PM

It is to do with the rear shock, and how to set the stroke position of the shaft.

There is heaps of info on how to do this, but basically you first take all the weight off the rear wheel (put it on a stand so the wheel hangs freely) then take a measurement of the distance between the rear axle center and the rear fender holding bolt. (measurement A)

remove the stand and sit on the bike in attack position or normal riding position. get someone to take the same measurement. (measurement :D

subtract measurement B from measurement A and ideally you would end up with 90 - 100mm (3.5 - 3.9in)

Make changes to your spring preload to get the ideal measurement.

Has your suspension bedded in yet? It takes a while, get a really fat and heavy mate to ride it around for a while. The next time you ride it, the suspension will feel different or softer. if it doesn't, it has bedded in.

I would only set the sag if your suspension has bedded in or you will have to do it again!

• drewpeacock

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Did a quick search and found this. http://www.thumperta...5&highlight=sag

(when you do a search on something you can scroll down and hit the WR section to narrow down the reading) :D

• Strattos

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Sag is how much the bike sinks or lowers when you sit on it.

Its adjusted by using the collars at the top of the spring on your rear shock and basically adjusts the spring for your weight.

• drewpeacock

Posted August 15, 2005 - 04:59 PM

I set the sag and fooled with the settings and ended up sending it to the suspension shop and had them set it up like the yz. No more front end wash. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe Reitman

Posted August 15, 2005 - 07:58 PM

FWIW, my suspension guru insists that one must stand, not sit, to get true sag.

Once you set sag, and raise up forks 5-9mm so front end sits lower, and back off the compression adjusters under the rubber caps at the bottom of the fork, it should not push/wash in turns.

If it still does, then you may not be sitting far enough forward in turns. Sitting back on the seat tells the bike to go straight per Semics :D )

How much do you weigh?

• crooks420

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:18 PM

Your'e not getting on the gas hard enough......

• RB2

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:56 PM

buy a Michelin S 12 front tire :D

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 16, 2005 - 04:16 AM

buy a Michelin S 12 front tire :D

Very good advice, assuming he rides in soft/wet conditions. I used to use an M12 in those conditions. Now I run Pirelli MT44 with even better results. :D

ps- on compression damping I backed off about 3 cLicks. It helps.

• Bamster

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:24 AM

The sag video
High speed link http://www.odsc.on.ca/sag.wmv
Low speed link http://www.odsc.on.ca/sag56k.wmv

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 16, 2005 - 08:53 AM

1) the right tires for the right terrain. (stock tires are intermediate/hard terrain)
2) the correct amount of air pressure
3) Proper suspension set up. Start with the sag, then make small adjustments to the adjusters. Take notes when you do, or you go around in circles.

• Dodger

Posted August 17, 2005 - 09:56 AM

1) the right tires for the right terrain. (stock tires are intermediate/hard terrain)
2) the correct amount of air pressure
3) Proper suspension set up. Start with the sag, then make small adjustments to the adjusters. Take notes when you do, or you go around in circles.

All prior info is good, but of no use if your corning techinque sucks.......

Are you weighting your front in corners, not dipping your shoulder, looking ahead of your turn with your chin out over the bars??? Proper technique will turn a bike, even with the horrid D739 that comes on the bike......BTW, get rid of that tire :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.