Yz426 Vs. Crf450

10 replies to this topic
  • Ranger18

Posted August 15, 2005 - 07:29 AM

Iv'e been thinking about getting a CRF450, but do to some stuff I've been reading about them having valve problems, I'm now concidering getting a 02 YZ426. It would really help me to hear some good personal experiances on this bike. Positive and negative..
:D

• biznet1

Posted August 15, 2005 - 08:06 AM

I had a 00 426 and it is a great bike, but a little too heavy for me and I never quite felt confident. I have an 06 CRF450 now and the handling difference is incredible. The 04 CRF did have some valve issues and many seemed to have fixed it by using stainless. I'm told, but don't know for sure (got my fingers crossed) that the valve problem was fixed in 05.

• HotRod250F

Posted August 15, 2005 - 08:24 AM

My '02 YZ 426 has been a GREAT bike. Prior to that, I rode an '02 YZ250F, and before that an '01 YZ 426. ALL of these bikes have been BULLETPROOF :D . I ride MX, desert, some trails here in SoCal. I've never had valve issues, never even had to adjust the valves, they're always in spec. Starting has never been an issue, 1-2 kicks everytime. I had an FMF full Ti exhaust on my '02 426, which I could never quite get the jetting right and made starting a little finicky, so I went back to stock. I probably would still have my '01 426 (it was a great bike) but I sold it to get a 250F which I rode for 8 months then decided I missed the 426. I picked up a pristine bone stock '02 426 with two rides on it (literally not one scratch on it, orig grips/bars and tires, etc) last year and have been totally happy with it. These bikes have a proven track record to be rock solid reliable, with plenty of power, and at a sensible price. Maybe I've just had good luck with my bikes, I don't know, but there are alot of guys on this board who could probably back me up on my testimony.

I can't say much for the CRF, I've never owned one but have friends who ride 'em and they really haven't had any problems with their 450s either. But pound for pound, dollar for dollar, I think the '02 426 is the best bang for your buck. Good luck. :D :D

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:01 AM

Iv'e been thinking about getting a CRF450, but do to some stuff I've been reading about them having valve problems, I'm now concidering getting a 02 YZ426. It would really help me to hear some good personal experiances on this bike. Positive and negative..

The CRF450 does not have valve problems. There are 10,000 new CRF450's running in the United States right now, most of which havn't even had their valves adjusted. Your thinking of the CRF250.

• biznet1

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Here's a poll with some good info. They seem more reliable than not to me. I don't think that there's any doubt that the Yammy is tops in reliability though. You may want to post the same question in the CRF forum. This way, you can filter out the hype from both sides.

http://www.thumperta...sults&pollid=51

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike_Lettrich

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:38 AM

I have a 04 CRF 450 and ride with a friend with an 00' 426 and another with an 05 RM-Z450. All three are great bikes.

The two 450s are a little more powerful, but all three bikes make so much power the difference is kind of academic. The 426 has a great motor. The bike has been bulletproof. It would be hard to beat the 426 maintenance-wise.

The good thing about the 426 too is you can get one at a reasonable price nowadays. If price and durability are high on your list of importance, the 426 could be the way to go.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 15, 2005 - 12:45 PM

Big questions :D
What year CRF
Why a 426 and not a YZF450

• Chills

Posted August 15, 2005 - 01:41 PM

Well, here's my opinion... Hate me if you will...

I started on a 97 CR250, and due the motor blowing up, a buddy of mine had a 01 426 for sale, and I was pushed into the 4-stroke world. I rode it and to my amazement, I loved it. Slightly different riding style, but It came with the territory. It was like going from a Yugo to a Caddy, IMO. My second ride, I made the mistake and re-gripped the throttle on a table, and ended up with a shoulder separation, cracked and bruised ribs, and bruised lunges. I was out for about 6 month, but still loved the way a 4-stroke ran. Recently, after racing my 426 in a local AMX series, it was brought to my attention that the bike was running like crap, and I guess over time I grew with the increased performance problems. We assumed it was due to it never being rebuilt, so to the dealership I went, got all the parts, and started the rebuild. After the rebuild, it was still having the mid-throttle miss, so off to the performance shop it went. In the meantime, I have been sharing my buddies 04 CRF450, and OMG, I fell in love with the bike. The first noticable difference is the weight. The first time on the bike, I ran 7 laps on a MX track, and wasnt even tired. I ride 4 laps on my 426, and my arms start going numb, and I am winded from riding it. After a few more rides, I can throw the bike around more, corner better, I'm faster, and just overall I seem to mesh better with the bike. The more and more I rode the bike over the past few weeks, the more and more I want one. I look back and consider when I went from my CR 250 to my 426, and my 426 was the Caddy, now riding the CRF 450, my 426 seems to be the Yugo, and the CRF 450 is now the caddy. I absolutely love riding it, I have more fun on it, it doesnt wear me out, I can ride longer and harder on it. Matter of fact, I took it out yesterday for practice, and ran it like a raped ape. For the first time in a year, I am actually sore from riding so much. Now, dont get me wrong, this is only a comparision to a CRF450 and not a YZF450, so I cant compare to the YZF, but I would assume the same. I am waiting for the 06 YZF450, because that is what I am moving up to. The bike itself has been for the most part bullet proof. It was a great movement forward from what I had, but I think its time to move up again. I am actually considering buying a buddies 04 CRF450 until the 06 YZF450 come out, and then buying the 06 and seeing which one I like better, and selling the one I dont like. Either way you look at it, as long as you are moving forward in advancement, as far as bikes go, its a great bike to step up to. I dont think I could have made a transition to from my CR250 to a 450 as easy. The 450 would have been too intimidating. But with the past year of learning to ride a 4 stroke, and getting acclimated with the 426, it was a much easier transition...

Just my .02 cents

• Ranger18

Posted August 15, 2005 - 02:29 PM

What year CRF

The 2002 CRF because of the green sticker, and a 2002 426 because of the green sticker and because I know the 426 has a 5 speed rather than a 4 that came in the early model yz450

• Ga426owner

Posted August 16, 2005 - 11:58 AM

What year CRF

The 2002 CRF because of the green sticker, and a 2002 426 because of the green sticker and because I know the 426 has a 5 speed rather than a 4 that came in the early model yz450

understand.....
I would not buy either....you can get a 03-04 for cheap (unless you live in Ca)and I am prepared to be flamed for this :D

CRF2002 plaqued with valve and durability and handling issues -1st year attempt. The 04-06 are that much better
any 426 (I had 4 of them) 2000 has clutch problem they are all too heavy, handle like a pig, suspension is ok at best- midstroke issues, starting does sux after having one 450 with autodecompression..they are bulletproof though

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted August 16, 2005 - 08:15 PM

I have a 04 CRF 450 and ride with a friend with an 00' 426 and another with an 05 RM-Z450. All three are great bikes.

The two 450s are a little more powerful, but all three bikes make so much power the difference is kind of academic. The 426 has a great motor. The bike has been bulletproof. It would be hard to beat the 426 maintenance-wise.

The good thing about the 426 too is you can get one at a reasonable price nowadays. If price and durability are high on your list of importance, the 426 could be the way to go.

Mike - You said it best. Let's face it, it's hard to compare an 00-02 426 to the handling and supsension of an 04 or 05 - 450 of any model/mfg. (I will say however, that the 426 motor - atleast mine - still holds it own against anything new)

The point here is that there are still alot of 426's out there running strong that you can pick up cheap. It's a thing called reliability - which means, less $$'s to maintain and more $$'s to spend...

You have to go with what is important, what you can afford and what fits your riding style.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.