Got a green sticker for my red sticker wr426...

5 replies to this topic
  • Kirk_Ingram

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:41 PM


Went to transfer my Vermont plated CA WR426 back to CA hoping for a plate for it but ended up with a green sticker.
Bought a new 01 wr426f in CA; immediately put on a Baja Designs kit, jumped a hoop or two, and had a Vermont plate in hand within 2 months. Has been plated in VT ever since.

So...New registration is due at the end of July, so I'm thinkin' I'll simply transfer it back to CA. Simple enough but NO. Ca DMV was hung-up on the bike not being "emissions compliant". So no CA plate. However, they gave me a green sticker. So my original red sticker bike is now green stickered. I was really nervous about turning in my VT title for fear of losing that plate. In fact, I made the stupid mistake of not renewing the VT registration BEFORE trying to transfer back to CA. But I had a gut feeling...yada, yada...but I proceeded anyway.

So I immediately mail off the VT registration renewal; I get a NEW CA title with about 4 days (That was FAST!, OH crap..), and an '06 VT sticker arrived within two weeks (pheewww).

Question: I fully expect to get my regular renewal from VT next year, and the next,....but what is the protocol for vehicles registered in mulitple states? It's obviously possible, but will it catch up with me one of these days?
BTW, when I got my 02 CA renewal notice I simply non-op'ed it. Meaning, it was registered in Vermont, AND Ca sent out the renewal notice like it was still registered in CA.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm pretty stoked, yet scared to death at the same time. I NEED that plate! But I also got a green sticker for my red sticker bike! Score!

Did I f@*# up and screw myself, or did I achieve the most legal (dirt and street ANY time of the year) I can ever be in Ca? -K

  • WheelsUp

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:57 PM


If it's 2002 or older, it's no longer red sticker.

Not sure what'll happen on the multiple state registration, but if you are pulled over with the VT plate in CA and your license, insurance, and employment indicates residency in CA, they'll likely nail you for the OOS plate.

  • byggd

Posted August 15, 2005 - 04:06 AM


All 02 and older bikes get green stickers. If you have friends/family in another state, plate it there and transfer the bike into their name so if you get pulled over you are "borrowing" the bike. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kirk_Ingram

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:33 PM


If it's 2002 or older, it's no longer red sticker.

I didn't know that! How long has DMV been doing that?
And here I thought I got one over on the CA DMV...oh well.

  • donutman126

Posted August 15, 2005 - 07:16 PM


Some very early 2003's got green stickers also.

  • WheelsUp

Posted August 15, 2005 - 07:31 PM


I didn't know that! How long has DMV been doing that?
And here I thought I got one over on the CA DMV...oh well.

Since 2003.
They were so screwed up with people having green when it should have been red that in '03 they just said "Frak it" and grandfathered the older bikes.

So ya... an old CR500 can run green, while my '05 WR250F is red :D


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.