noisy exhaust

23 replies to this topic
  • Altathumper

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:38 PM

I just bought a used 02 WR 426. It came with a White Brothers e-series pipe which is way too loud, I almost have to wear earplugs. My stock pipe on my 02 YZ426 was only half as loud as this pipe. How do you quieten the e-series down? It came with a 12 pack of discs, but none are installed yet.

• jbrooks26

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:47 PM

The more disc's that are in stalled the quieter it will be. I think most people are running around 8-10 disc's but I am not sure about that. Hope this helps.

Josh

• nimiz1

Posted August 14, 2005 - 10:45 PM

i think jbrooks26 is wrong.
the nore discs you installed the louder it gets.

• jbrooks26

Posted August 15, 2005 - 12:19 AM

i think jbrooks26 is wrong.
the nore discs you installed the louder it gets.

AH!!! You are correct, I mis-spoke(typed). More disc's mean more noise, less discs mean less noise. Basically by adding discs you increas the output of the exhaust. I still believe that most guys are running 8-12 discs on their Yamaha's. Hope this helps, and sorry for the miscue.

Josh

• jbrooks26

Posted August 15, 2005 - 12:21 AM

One quick question just came to mine. Is the end cap open on your E-Series? It should be closed and the exhaust should come out of the sides. Perhaps you are missing the endcap, or it is in your 12 pack of discs. Hope this helps.

Josh

• byggd

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:58 AM

I have the same bike and it came with the WB e-series. The previous owner had it wide open and it was WAY too loud. :D I bought the discs, screws, blank disc, and I am running the quiet core insert. I am running with 8 discs including the insert and it's only loud at WOT and high RPMs.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 15, 2005 - 10:22 AM

I think you can get an insert for that muffler called a "quiet core" (or something like that.) They work by restricting the size of the end opening to about an inch in diameter. You can still use the discs with it.

• Altathumper

Posted August 15, 2005 - 02:30 PM

Thanks guys, I do have a blank disc for it. I'll play around with the # of discs and the throw the blank on the end, the guy who had it before me ran it with no discs wide open, no insert. very loud... :D

• Matty05

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:01 PM

Try repacking it!

I just repacked a mates WB E series yesterday and the packing was rock solid!
I haven't riveted it back together yet, but anything has to be an improvement on what he had in the muffler before.

P.S. if you want more power, take the end cap off. :D

• byggd

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:38 AM

P.S. if you want more power, take the end cap off.

Maybe more power on the top end but crap on the low end. A 4-stroke needs some back pressure to run at it's best on the bottom end. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted August 16, 2005 - 06:43 PM

Maybe more power on the top end but crap on the low end. A 4-stroke needs some back pressure to run at it's best on the bottom end. :D

You should be riding midrange to top where all the torque and power is.

By the way, My mates and I tested it with and with out the end cap to see if it was just the noise that made us feel that it made more power through out the whole rev range. Definately end cap off is better every where. Try it your self.

After I repacked the muffler, the noise is down to about a stock yz450 and makes a bit more power by the seat of the pants.

• billygoat

Posted August 22, 2005 - 09:26 PM

If you want to try something really different, I saw this thing you put over the discs that creates what looks like a closed in shield with a side outlet. This company called Quiet products is making it. www.quietiscool.com

• byggd

Posted August 23, 2005 - 06:04 AM

You should be riding midrange to top where all the torque and power is.

By the way, My mates and I tested it with and with out the end cap to see if it was just the noise that made us feel that it made more power through out the whole rev range. Definately end cap off is better every where. Try it your self.

After I repacked the muffler, the noise is down to about a stock yz450 and makes a bit more power by the seat of the pants.

I guess it depends on the type of riding you do. I ride mostly tight stuff and need the front end to pop up at the blip of the throttle. When I bought the bike it was wide open so I did try it, way WAY too loud and no quick power down low. :D

• Matty05

Posted August 23, 2005 - 03:22 PM

Have you repacked it? You will pick up power there. It sounds like your muffler is years old and is in desperate need of a repack.

• tomwr450f

Posted September 03, 2005 - 04:08 PM

I have to agree, with the repacking it's a must, but riding with the cap off is a no no where I'm from, and no spark arrester, the end cap is part of that.

• dman450f

Posted September 03, 2005 - 04:26 PM

If you want to try something really different, I saw this thing you put over the discs that creates what looks like a closed in shield with a side outlet. This company called Quiet products is making it. www.quietiscool.com

man...that thing is butt ugly...seriously dude...

• Matty05

Posted September 04, 2005 - 08:28 PM

man...that thing is butt ugly...seriously dude...

:D:lol:

• tp3dxf

Posted September 04, 2005 - 09:04 PM

I have a very similar tip installed on my stock system. The turn down tip was trimmed a little different so it looks a bit better. I have to say that the set up is just about as good as my Big Gun System. It may not look as good but it works well and is quieter. It tested out once at 91 DB my Big Gun Quiet blew a 96 db on two different occasions which is passing but on the edge. I think it's a good upgrade for the money.

• cruise

Posted September 04, 2005 - 11:30 PM

Definitely runs better without spark arrester i run mine straight through your ears will adjust lol :D

• byggd

Posted September 07, 2005 - 08:18 AM

Definitely runs better without spark arrester i run mine straight through your ears will adjust lol :D

Maybe......but I'd rather avoid getting my bike impounded :D
Plus take a look at the spec sheet for the e-series. Take a look at the page two, second FAQ :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.