Looking for a better rear tire

18 replies to this topic
  • djo269

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:25 PM

I want the tire with the best bite! I am looking at both Maxxis Maxx-Cross IT intermediate and the Maxxis Maxx-Cross Desert intermediate. Supposedly the desert version has longer knobs and has a harder compound(according to the rockymountainmc catalog). I want one that wears the best and has the best linear traction. If you think a different tire other than these two is better please share it with me. My bike is a 2003 yamaha yz450f. Ride on!:D

• yamahauler44

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:29 PM

your right on those are the best!

• yz133rider

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:57 PM

Depending on where and how you ride I have heard trials tires will sure give you a surprise. And I have seen that last over 1000miles on a 525 exc.

• yzf450jack

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:59 PM

The maxxis is great for the price $40 somthing But the OEM tire is the best for that Fstroke you have to pay a little more for it Do a lttle shopping and try to get a good price on a dunlap but the maxxis is at the best price :D

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2005 - 09:22 PM

I want one that wears the best and has the best linear traction.

The Dunlop 756 corners a little better when new, and is significantly lighter, but for wear and straight line bite in a wide range of intermediate soils, you can't beat the Max Cross IT. The Desert model is mostly just a heavier carcass as I understood it. I hadn't heard of it being deeper.

• MattyH

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:52 AM

metzeler mc6 rear and a mc5 front are the tyre combo i run and i get decent life and good grip out of them, i have heard that the pirelli mt32 fr/rr are awesome tho too

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:05 AM

The maxxis is great for the price $40 somthing But the OEM tire is the best for that Fstroke you have to pay a little more for it Do a lttle shopping and try to get a good price on a dunlap but the maxxis is at the best price :D

Right, Dunlop makes a "G" version of their tires that are specifically designed to be used on four-strokes, so they last longer. They come stock on all the new YZF's.

Personally, I think the Maxxcross Desert IT is perfect for your use. :D
http://www.rockymountainmc.com

• 642MX

Posted August 15, 2005 - 10:24 AM

I've got one ride on my Dunlop 952's and they perform really good. They are supposed to be a long lasting intermediate tire. They look real similiar to the Maxxis IT's.

• yamahazinger

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:34 PM

i think the maxxis It tire is one of the best or maybe the dunlop 756. i have that on my yz250 and has lasted quite a long time and has a nice bite in soft to intermedite terrain

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:54 PM

Try the Bridgestone M602 :D This tire hooks up awsome and will actually last you a whole season or longer.
Posted Image

• revolucien

Posted August 15, 2005 - 06:02 PM

The Dunlop 756 corners a little better when new, and is significantly lighter, but for wear and straight line bite in a wide range of intermediate soils, you can't beat the Max Cross IT. The Desert model is mostly just a heavier carcass as I understood it. I hadn't heard of it being deeper.

Grey, I thought that was interesting you said when new. I've got a little wear on my 756's and I noticed same thing, that it seemed to lose a lot of traction in the cornering. I'm curious to hear a couple more reports on the dunlop 952's

• Ga426owner

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:39 AM

I like the Michelin Starcross MS3/MH3......best biting longest lasting tires for SE conditions - hardpack/loamy

• adamscrf

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:48 AM

kenda milleville is a cheaper priced tire also with deceant wear and good traction.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted August 16, 2005 - 06:18 AM

Right, Dunlop makes a "G" version of their tires that are specifically designed to be used on four-strokes, so they last longer. They come stock on all the new YZF's.

Personally, I think the Maxxcross Desert IT is perfect for your use. :D
http://www.rockymountainmc.com

Not to slam the Dunlops but I believe you are referring to the 739G. Worse tire I have ever ran! They say it is specifically designed for the 4-Stroke yet I ate mine up in about 6 rides on the MX Track and trails...

I agree the Maxiss IT is simply the best overall for performance and $$'s.

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 16, 2005 - 09:26 AM

Not to slam the Dunlops but I believe you are referring to the 739G. Worse tire I have ever ran!

Amen total piece of shit! Michelin Starcross MS3, big bite, & they last a long time.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 16, 2005 - 10:38 AM

Not to slam the Dunlops but I believe you are referring to the 739G. Worse tire I have ever ran! They say it is specifically designed for the 4-Stroke yet I ate mine up in about 6 rides on the MX Track and trails...

I agree the Maxiss IT is simply the best overall for performance and $$'s.

Sorry, but that was you. Mine lasted almost a year of every week trail rides.

And I'm on the throttle, constantly. :D

• Twistin744

Posted August 16, 2005 - 10:49 AM

I've always ran the Michelin Starcross, Intermediate terrain. It's a gnarly looking thing and gets super good bite in turns. The knobs stick way out on the sides....so when you lay it over it's like you are on rails...a good solid tire all around I think. You should check it out and compare it to the Maxxcross. Maybe you will dig it? I do! :D

• jamieyz426f01

Posted August 16, 2005 - 10:57 AM

i would recommend the Michelin m12, they hook up real good and mine a wearing real good :D (the edges are only just starting to wear after 3 races and 2 practice sessions!) :D

• djo269

Posted August 23, 2005 - 11:49 PM

thanks for your help ya'll...I just ordered a Maxx-Cross IT off rockymountainmc.com I decided to stick with 110/90/19 stock size instead of the 120/. Now I suppose I could ask, what would be the best intermediate terrain front tire to complement the rear tire of choice? I have the Dunlop 739 stock tire on right now. Is it a decent front tire? What would be better? thanks again :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.