off roading YZF450

13 replies to this topic
  • malachi

Posted August 14, 2005 - 04:14 PM

My buddy has an 03 YZ450F that he is now going to be using for off road use. He has an Akropovic exhaust, Hotcams, powerblade, 13/50 gearing and the heads had some work etc. He's looking to make it less of a beast in tight sections....cause it hits HARD. He mentioned something about getting a flywheel weight for the engine, any other suggestions for him thanks :D

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 14, 2005 - 04:21 PM

12oz. flywheel weight should do him some good.
http://www.dubachracing.com

• yamrider22

Posted August 14, 2005 - 05:13 PM

My buddy has an 03 YZ450F that he is now going to be using for off road use. He has an Akropovic exhaust, Hotcams, powerblade, 13/50 gearing and the heads had some work etc. He's looking to make it less of a beast in tight sections....cause it hits HARD. He mentioned something about getting a flywheel weight for the engine, any other suggestions for him thanks :D

The heavier flywheel makes a world of difference. The only thing I would suggest is gettig the GYT-R, because it is only $10.00 more and you get a new weight instead of modifying yours.

• BlindSide

Posted August 14, 2005 - 06:39 PM

Change the gearing to 14/47. Add the GYT-R "offroad" flywheel weight. Then have the suspension revalved, those 03 forks are brutally harsh.

I have an 04 YZ 450 & it came stock with a 14/48, which is great for motocross & terrible for the trails we ride. I run a 14/47 combo, like the 2003 model came with & I get in return, longer & smoother pulling 1st and 2nd gears. With this gearing you'll be rolling through the corners with less engine brake, less rpm etc...which means you're bike will lean over easier & further for one thing and you're acceleration out of the corners will be smoother, allowing you to set up for the next obstacle or pick your lines better. I'm 10x the rider I was 3 months ago, or should I say, I ride more like I used to since I switched the gearing, seriously. With his low gearing, he's eating all the abrasive power and taking all the abuse this bike can give.

Here's some examples of what myself & my dad did to our 450's, mine's an 04 like I said & his is an 03. Both bikes are bonafied woods weapons for our riding style.

YZ 450 04

14/47 gearing
GYT-R offroad Flywheel
White Bros. E2 Exhaust
Boysen QuickShot

YZ 450 03

14/47 Gearing (stock)
WR CAM
GYT-R Exhaust/spark arrester
10 oz. Stealthy Flywheel weight

Now both our bikes have more mods or goodies, but these ones we were specifically aimed at making the power more managable & making our bikes better for the woods riding we do. Still though, I've got over $3000 invested in my bike, nothing has made the bike work better overall then the 14/47 combo. That's a cheap fix imo.

• yamrider22

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:11 PM

[quote name='BlindSide']Change the gearing to 14/47. Add the GYT-R "offroad" flywheel weight. Then have the suspension revalved, those 03 forks are brutally harsh.

I have an 04 YZ 450 & it came stock with a 14/48, which is great for motocross & terrible for the trails we ride. I run a 14/47 combo, like the 2003 model came with & I get in return, longer & smoother pulling 1st and 2nd gears. With this gearing you'll be rolling through the corners with less engine brake, less rpm etc...which means you're bike will lean over easier & further for one thing and you're acceleration out of the corners will be smoother, allowing you to set up for the next obstacle or pick your lines better. I'm 10x the rider I was 3 months ago, or should I say, I ride more like I used to since I switched the gearing, seriously. With his low gearing, he's eating all the abrasive power and taking all the abuse this bike can give.

I am not completely sure but I do believe that stock '03 gearing is 14/48. But the 14/47 mod does definitely help smooth the power out.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:08 AM

The heavier flywheel makes a world of difference. The only thing I would suggest is gettig the GYT-R, because it is only $10.00 more and you get a new weight instead of modifying yours.

Good flywheel, but it should be noted that if you buy a Dr. D you can send back the weight you ordered and get a new one of a different weight if your not satisfied with it for no extra charge. All you'd have to pay is shipping and handling.

• BlindSide

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:20 PM

ONLY4STROKES, that's not a new concept. :D The GYT-R flywheel(s) are flawless & you can't go wrong. Being able to return something without paying shipping was never a selling point for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted August 18, 2005 - 09:46 AM

A flywheel would be a good place to start to tame the hit. He may also want to look into the Rekluse auto clutch. They run about $400 but are more than worth the money. I have an '03 and put one on for off road use. I've been extremely impressed. It makes tight/technical sections soooo much easier. It's almost like cheating. Do a search on Rekluse. You will have a hard time finding anyone who doesn't love them, especially for off road riding.

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 18, 2005 - 01:18 PM

I would like to try the Reckluse myself but I hear that they are not that great for MX. I would not know myself however. If you ride a lot in tight sections I bet they are a great mod.

• Gforce10

Posted August 18, 2005 - 07:32 PM

I have an 04 450 and i recently put on a Pro Circuit Type 496 bolt silencer just to keep the rangers off my back and it mellowed out the nasty hit quite a bit. I did not have to rejet it either. I was actually pleased with the mellow hit compared to the arm pulling beast it was.

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 18, 2005 - 07:58 PM

I think I am going to try the 14/47 sprocket combo. I have heard good things about this setup in MXA as well as several post here on TT. :D

• yz_for_me

Posted August 18, 2005 - 08:15 PM

I would like to try the Reckluse myself but I hear that they are not that great for MX. I would not know myself however. If you ride a lot in tight sections I bet they are a great mod.

In some ways I think the rekluse is good for MX and in some ways bad. It's bad if you don't have an on the fly adjuster which means you don't have a clutch lever and therefore can't override the clutch. I don't have one and there are times I miss being able to clutch it a little, but with the power this bike has I can usually get by. The key is to keep it in the right gear all the time.

The thing I like is that it's really increased my endurance. In my case I found that not having to grab the clutch has made a HUGE improvement in my arm pump. I can ride aggressively for much longer with the Rekluse. This lets me ride faster at the end of motos than I could before. Of course if you don't have arm pump to begin with this isn't much of a help. The other thing that's nice is not stalling in slow corners or if you crash. You can just get back on and keep going. These aren't huge benefits, but they are nice little perks when riding MX.

If I was riding strictly MX, I probably wouldn't get one.

• markvan

Posted August 20, 2005 - 06:19 PM

Depending on how tight your trails are you may want to step up to 14/50.

You are losing some top end but if your riding tight stuff you don't need it. I've tried 14/47, 14/48, and 14/50, and I love the 14/50. 48 was driveable, 47 sucked, but I just love the 50 on the rear. When winter rolls around and it's time to take her out on the ice I'll go back to the 47, maybe even go down to a 13 in the front.

As for the the flywheel wieght, that really helps in the tight stuff. Definetally do that.....I've never tried the recluse, but would love to put one on some day....that would make it the ultimate woods machine....

• dezertrider5

Posted August 20, 2005 - 06:24 PM

If you ride desert switch the gearing to 15/42 super nice top speed and less hit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.